DEC 2013 TS forum game archive

Started by GJK, November 26, 2013, 12:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 30, 2013, 06:53:31 PM
NORAD sounds good. Do we already control Canada at the start?

I think so, although I have not had time to really study the map, which I hope to do on Sunday.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Norad does seem to make sense.... I'm almost through the rules I was just going to watch those first few steps videos to see what the best ips were

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 30, 2013, 07:06:34 PM
See my edit above.

I'll have to check, but I think we have to place them in Europe? If so, then maybe at least one in Paris. You know that the French have often had commie leanings, especially post war and well into the '50's

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

You are correct, Bob. I just checked and it does have to be Western Europe. That means that the NORAD card won't work until we have 2 more points in Canada. Perhaps we should go with Red Scare/Purge? If Team Pink tries an operation afterwards they lose a point. For setup we can drop those 2 points on Frogland as well as the 4 on the Krauts and I'm inclined to drop the last point on Turkey. Dunno why but seems like it would block Syria from getting into mischief too easily.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 01, 2013, 07:34:19 AM
You are correct, Bob. I just checked and it does have to be Western Europe. That means that the NORAD card won't work until we have 2 more points in Canada. Perhaps we should go with Red Scare/Purge? If Team Pink tries an operation afterwards they lose a point. For setup we can drop those 2 points on Frogland as well as the 4 on the Krauts and I'm inclined to drop the last point on Turkey. Dunno why but seems like it would block Syria from getting into mischief too easily.

Sounds like a plan - I like the Turkey idea, having influence in that area may well be of benefit. Unfortunately, with non of us having any experience of how the game plays, we have no idea what effect these actions will have on how the game play out. Suck it and, I guess. How about the 'East European Unrest' card?

I doubt that Geek will be able to have any input as I think he said he was working until tomorrow. Plus he and Huw have been on to me to buy 'Contagion' in the Steam sale with a view to some co-op play (not that I need much pushing, as it looks like it could be fun)- argh! not enough time to do everything.

Update - just had a text from geek to say that due to work, he won't have much time to play anything during next week. We really need his input so we have someone to blame if things go pear-shaped :-)

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

Heh.
I'm still trying to figure out the rules- the 'events' v. 'operations' thing has me a bit flummoxed. If we play a card as an event we don't get the points and if we play the card as an operation we do get 'em? It that it?

bob48

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 01, 2013, 08:04:28 AM
Heh.
I'm still trying to figure out the rules- the 'events' v. 'operations' thing has me a bit flummoxed. If we play a card as an event we don't get the points and if we play the card as an operation we do get 'em? It that it?

I admit I'm a bit confused by that as well. I'm more comfortable with 'proper' wargames myself. Not sure if I'm a devious enough bastard for this type of thing (or maybe, not clever enough).

The whole sequence and interaction of how the games plays has me scratching my head.

'Clip those corners'

undercovergeek

It's good I'm here! Just reading as much as I can

bob48

'Clip those corners'

GJK

Guys - should I set up a separate forum/thread for Rules questions that both teams can access and participate in?  In that thread, we could discuss the rules and have the judges "ruling" on the rules.  Might be a good idea since this game is new to everyone.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

I have a question about the game:  The difference between 'events' and 'operations'.

Am I correct in assuming that it's as follows: If one plays a card as an operation then one gets the points to use but must abide by the event it triggers (good or bad)
or
one can play the event directly at the time of one's choosing for maximum effect but forgoing earning the points?

Staggerwing

Also, is there a full list of all cards with their content (events, points, etc) available for perusal? After all, if one owned the physical game then one could have familiarize one's self with them ahead of time.

Staggerwing

A great idea Gary. I've already asked on the main thread so maybe Brant can move my posts into the new FAQ one.

GJK

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 01, 2013, 09:05:40 AM
I have a question about the game:  The difference between 'events' and 'operations'.

Am I correct in assuming that it's as follows: If one plays a card as an operation then one gets the points to use but must abide by the event it triggers (good or bad)
or
one can play the event directly at the time of one's choosing for maximum effect but forgoing earning the points?

Close.  During the Headline Phase (phase you are choosing a card for now), only the EVENT will be played so it would be wise to choose a card that has a star that matches your team (white=USA, red=USSR) or at least a half-white/half-red star meaning that the event could favor either site.

During the Action Rounds, you choose a card to EITHER play for the OP points OR to play as the Event.  If you take the OPS points, you forgo the event and if you take the Event, you forgo the OPs points.  Some important notes:

1. If you play a card for the OPs points AND YET the Event has a star for the OTHER Team, that EVENT will still trigger AFTER you've played your OPs points.  Note that the "star" on the card has to be a solid color for the other side in order for that EVENT to trigger, not the "half-white/half-red". That is crucial as very likely, you will have a card or cards that you don't want the EVENTs to trigger, yet they will anyway after you've played them for OPs. 

2. The only way to (temporarily) avoid this is to dump the card on the SPACE RACE track.  Note, there are limits as to how many times you can do that in a turn (once per turn initially).  This is a temporary fix because the card will be shuffled back in to the deck at some point so MOST Events do eventually trigger (some times cards can be permanently removed from play without having the Event played).

3. If a card is played for OPs and the Event on it is also YOUR teams Event, that Event does NOT trigger (you played it for OPs) so that card will go in to the discard pile and will be reshuffled in to the deck eventually.

4. If the card has an asterisk (*) on it (it will also have red text at the bottom) indicating that the card is to be removed if the Event has been played, then as it says - the card will not go in to the discard pile but will be permanently removed from play.

I think that covers all of the possible situations for the cards.  Again, follow very closely what the Events on the cards say as many times pre-existing conditions must be met in order for the Event to work.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer