Advanced Platoon Leader

Started by Barthheart, May 11, 2017, 03:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

I always print the manuals on normal paper. Maybe just the covers on card stock.
Players aids also get card stock.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 27, 2017, 01:43:52 PM
Because it's laminated?

No, bc the interior is rather brittle.  If I'm reading the packaging correctly, that's "foam core" where the cross-section looks like this

that interior is very crumbly & brittle. 

It stands up nice as a display sign, but once you start cutting it and moving it around too much and dinging the edges/corners (rounded or otherwise! ;D) it'll start to flake apart and get pretty soft on the edges

The kind of foam I was describing in the "how to mount counters" post I made (linked above) was this stuff

that is more soft / pliable

You can also use the kind of matte board that framing stores use to back / frame pictures with, but it can be expensive and tough to cut.  The upside it that it's nearly indestructible.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 27, 2017, 01:59:42 PM
You can also use the kind of matte board that framing stores use to back / frame pictures with, but it can be expensive and tough to cut.  The upside it that it's nearly indestructible.

That's why I use it for my DIY counters.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on June 27, 2017, 02:02:44 PM
That's why I use it for my DIY counters.

you just use it b/c the corners are harder to clip!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

And they stay sharp as a knife!  O0

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

JudgeDredd

Those A4 labels are £40 here  :o

So I opted for the cheaper £18 photo paper and £5 card. I have double sided tape which I will use or I may well get some spray glue.

Ran out of photo paper last night and coloured ink. So it's back to the shops anyway.

I don't particularly mind this costing more...as long as it looks good.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Spray glue is a totally fine way to do it.  It's just messier than the label sheets :)

Staggerwing

I've done the label sheets on both sides of non-corrugated cardboard and that worked out ok. I save pieces of cardboard from packaging inserts and the like if it is thick enough and not creased.

If your counter sheet is fairly small you can even cut sections from glossy boxes electronics are packed in.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Richie61

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 28, 2017, 12:37:46 AM
Those A4 labels are £40 here  :o

It's $13.79 US for a box of 25 sheets here. I have also tried spraying the counters with a gloss to protect them. Works well.

This is my Valor & Victory PnP squad battle game.

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Barthheart

Look at all those nice square corners!  :bd:

BanzaiCat

Now I need to buy this PnP, spend a few sheckles to prep it, carefully cut them out...

...and then clip the counters and post pics for Barth!  :D

Barthheart

JudgeDredd

Can I ask what the bottom part of these terrain tiles are for?

They seem to be surplus to requirement - as well as using a load of ink
Alba gu' brath

bob48

I think you will find that they are the reverse side of the tile.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!