Happy Holidays my Groghead Friends

Started by Rayfer, December 24, 2018, 09:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kludger

Tpek

Sir Slash

A Happy and prosperous New Year to all my Grog-Brethren everywhere. My New Year's resolution this year is the same as last year, to fully update all my versions of Combat Mission. And it will probably be next year's as well.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

Not......

......going.....

....to..

...m...

.......ake........

...it

Happy New Year, my Groggy friends!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Easy to stay awake here, Rednecks with beer and guns will keep you up all night.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Ian C

Gusington

Hmm...I still feel the same as yesterday, just with a slight headache.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on December 29, 2018, 12:14:08 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing. I enjoy hearing about radiography stories from years ago, back when radiographers had to develop their film. One of my radiography instructors in school started in the field in the early 80's and would regal us with stories about "back in the day" having to develop the x-ray images on film.

Groggy

Developing the film was a real trip. Whomever was scheduled to develop film that day spent most of it in the darkroom (which was pitch black, no little red light) opening the large film holders containing exposed film and feeding the sheets of film (some of which was 2-3 feet long on each side) into an automated developing machine with about a hundred rollers in it that would run the film through first a developer, then a fixer, and finally a water bath. Then we would take sheets of unexposed film out of bins and reload the holders and pass them back out through a small pass-through that could only be opened from one side at a time. All of this was done only by touch and location memory. Also, the machine jammed a lot...  :(

While I was there the department was slowly transitioning over to 'rare earth' film holders that would fluoresce slightly inside exactly where struck by x-rays so the techs could cut back on the level of exposure to patients when those holders were available.
Since we worked in such a sealed off room we were allowed to bring in a portable radio and jam tunes while we were 'sealed in'.  O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I took photography courses in high school (1989-1992) before digital pictures and we had a very similar setup to develop our own film, complete with the radio 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 01, 2019, 08:57:47 PM
Developing the film was a real trip. Whomever was scheduled to develop film that day spent most of it in the darkroom (which was pitch black, no little red light) opening the large film holders containing exposed film and feeding the sheets of film (some of which was 2-3 feet long on each side) into an automated developing machine with about a hundred rollers in it that would run the film through first a developer, then a fixer, and finally a water bath. Then we would take sheets of unexposed film out of bins and reload the holders and pass them back out through a small pass-through that could only be opened from one side at a time. All of this was done only by touch and location memory. Also, the machine jammed a lot...  :(

While I was there the department was slowly transitioning over to 'rare earth' film holders that would fluoresce slightly inside exactly where struck by x-rays so the techs could cut back on the level of exposure to patients when those holders were available.
Since we worked in such a sealed off room we were allowed to bring in a portable radio and jam tunes while we were 'sealed in'.  O0

Brilliant story! Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes, when I have to go to OR for X-ray they will be jamming to tunes in the room. It's interesting to find out what kind of taste in music the surgeon has.

Also, there was a CT tech at my hospital on the weekends for awhile who is a big fan of old heavy metal music and would play it in the tech workroom while performing CT studies. Nothing like jamming out to Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden while performing a CT head scan.

Groggy

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd