Main Menu

Afghanistan '11

Started by jomni, September 27, 2016, 06:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Doesnt appear to be my kinda thing. One of those games i'll enjoy reading or watching other people play.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

HoodedHorseJoe

Played it myself over lunch yesterday while waiting for our review to go live. I liked it, but it's definitely a 'Lite' Wargame. It's just as much, if not more, about the logistics of peace-keeping and infrastructure as it is about gathering intel and destroying enemy units.

Keeping the locals happy can get a bit 'grindy', but it's definitely tense as you try to run supplies and convoys along roads, hoping there's no IEDS or Taliban waiting to ambush you. I personally really like the resource strain. Not only does requesting additional US units cost a lot, but doing anything with them costs as well. There are only a handful of ways to get more currency so you really have to think about your actions and whether you can afford to this or that.

It's not perfect by any means, but still really interesting if you're looking for something different.

Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

MikeGER

its a f#&*ing nightmare !

...not the game ^-^

the situation on my map in scenario Nr 5 :)
Your really learn why and how we loose those COIN wars at the home front in RL.
not enuf Political Points to get the job done when the shit really hit the fan and things went from SNAFU to FUBAR

Darn, i have a clear view on several valid targets but not the money left to call in the airstrike
(so i had send home a fresh delivered for free US Infantry reinforcement to get me+100pp and so above 300PP to airstrike)
delivering ammo even by chopper got dangerous and they take hits by popping-up Taliban left and right. Heart and Minds are spiraling down to 42 and i cant get the Buffalo through to fix a damned water work for several turn... Arrr     

I whish there were a Westmoreland option sometimes and Arclight a whole area and the turned-to-Taliban village hornet nest in the wake of it >:D         

mirth

Quote from: MikeGER on March 24, 2017, 01:45:22 PM
I whish there were a Westmoreland option sometimes and Arclight a whole area     

That probably wouldn't win too many hearts and minds :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Rock Paper Shotgun loves Afghanistan 11! Gave it their seal of approval.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on March 24, 2017, 02:01:44 PM
Rock Paper Shotgun loves Afghanistan 11! Gave it their seal of approval.

We heard.

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 24, 2017, 09:27:48 AM
just got a recommended badge on RPS
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Gusington

Need you to take The Wife to dinner again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

The sacrifices I make for you...

MikeGER

Quote from: mirth on March 24, 2017, 01:53:27 PM

It i remember correctly WW2 was not won by winning neither the hearts 'n minds of the Nazis nor of the Japanese :P 

jamus34

Quote from: MikeGER on March 24, 2017, 02:07:34 PM

It i remember correctly WW2 was not won by winning neither the hearts 'n minds of the Nazis nor of the Japanese :P

The Russian winter wins all wars.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

MikeGER

Quote from: jamus34 on March 24, 2017, 02:09:54 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on March 24, 2017, 02:07:34 PM

The Russian winter wins all wars.

sad, but true!   ...we will take this into account next time  ;)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pinetree

Quote from: Gusington on March 24, 2017, 06:07:58 PM
\m/

If you're going to have Metallica in an Afghanistan thread then you really should go with this:

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."