Main Menu

Outlast

Started by RooksBailey, August 24, 2013, 08:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

I don't recall coming across this title before.  Just happened to see it on the Steam "coming soon" list:

QuoteAbout the Game
Hell is an experiment you can't survive in Outlast, a first-person survival horror game developed by veterans of some of the biggest game franchises in history. As investigative journalist Miles Upshur, explore Mount Massive Asylum and try to survive long enough to discover its terrible secret... if you dare.

Synopsis:

In the remote mountains of Colorado, horrors wait inside Mount Massive Asylum. A long-abandoned home for the mentally ill, recently re-opened by the "research and charity" branch of the transnational Murkoff Corporation, the asylum has been operating in strict secrecy... until now.

Acting on a tip from an anonymous source, independent journalist Miles Upshur breaks into the facility, and what he discovers walks a terrifying line between science and religion, nature and something else entirely. Once inside, his only hope of escape lies with the terrible truth at the heart of Mount Massive.

Outlast is a true survival horror experience which aims to show that the most terrifying monsters of all come from the human mind.

Features:

True Survival Horror Experience: You are no fighter - if you want to survive the horrors of the asylum, your only chance is to run... or hide
Immersive Graphics: AAA-quality graphics give players a detailed, terrifying world to explore
Hide and Sneak: Stealth-based gameplay, with parkour-inspired platforming elements
Unpredictable Enemies: Players cannot know when - and from where - one of the asylum's terrifying inhabitants will finally catch up to them
Real Horror: Outlast's setting and characters are inspired by real asylums and cases of criminal insanity

Warning:

Outlast contains intense violence, gore, graphic sexual content, and strong language. Please enjoy.

It does sound good!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

-budd-

been on my watchlist for awhile now. For the $15.99 it's worth a look. I'm just not much of an early adopter.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

RooksBailey

Quote from: -budd- on August 24, 2013, 09:30:02 PM
been on my watchlist for awhile now. For the $15.99 it's worth a look. I'm just not much of an early adopter.

Yeah, seeing all the gaming disappointments lately, I take a wait and see approach with just about every game.  Once I see positive reviews and compelling gameplay vids by ordinary people, than I jump on board.   :)

Here's a demo.  Now, these guys are definitely playing the scares up for all they are worth, but the game still sounds good.  One thing I can't confirm, though, is how much is scripted and how much is random.  The game description on Steam seems to suggest that some of the monster attacks are random.  If so, count me in.  But if it is all scripted, eh....

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Rayfer

Cool trailer but I'm learning that game trailers are just like movie trailers, they can make anything look really, really good.  Not saying this isn't going to be a good game but it's hard to tell from these professionally done trailers these days.

Gusington

Anyone play this? Has some very good reviews on Steam and I am gearing up for some scarytime.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I got about halfway through and moved on to something else.  It's a  first person survival horror game.  Lots of jump scares and dark places and the camera aspect of it was kind of neat.  Could have used less eye-level computer dong though.  (At one point, you get chased around the asylum by a couple of naked, murderous hillbillies and you have to hide under gurneys and whatnot.  You spend a lot of time right at eye-to-wang level, viewing things through your night vision filter.

Just go play Alien, Gus!   

Gusington

Eye to wang?? OK then...next.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

I'm not much for not being able to fight back in some way. I watched it played on you tube, that was enough for me. I dont mind some hiding but damn give me my combat shotgun "bitch" or at least a 2 by 4. Outlast 2 is on the way  http://store.steampowered.com/app/414700/
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

Yeah it was the press for Outlast 2 that got me interested in the first one before SDR's computer dong analysis.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I thought we'd discussed this before and it turns out we had.  Even down to the "dong" stuff.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7448.msg181394#msg181394

Gusington

Either way you saved me 20.00 which I invested in Shadow of a War instead 😎

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"invested". that's a good one.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

That's how I will present it in a court of law if ever called upon to do so.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd