Gaming with Kids

Started by Bison, November 06, 2016, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: Moreb on November 07, 2016, 09:02:03 AM
Cute pic. I envy you guys (Bison, bayonetbrant, jamus34,Yskonyn). I'm 47 now and my daughter has been out for 6 years now. I miss that time that I squandered while she was young although we rarely spent a night apart. I was heavily into dirt bike riding from a young age and then eventually my daughter was too. She had her first motorcycle when she was 5, her second at six. Through the years we spent almost every weekend riding and I'll cherish that time forever. Through a twist of fate we are now just a couple towns away from each other so I get to visit my grandson often.

Not to get sappy but the years I could least afford the luxuries were the best of my life. We didn't know we were poor. It didnt matter. Life has been good for us and I'm just glad to be a part of her life still.

So enjoy every day with your children. It goes fast.

Carry on.

Great memories.  Thanks for sharing.

Bison

Quote from: jamus34 on November 07, 2016, 08:36:44 AM
Jumping in from the other thread.

My youngest (4) right now doesn't have the patience or attention span to play more than games like chutes and ladders or candyland.

My older 2 (7 & 10) are all about games. We play Carcassonne regularly, my oldest knows chess and is starting to developer strategy and the 7 yr old is learning it.

I would like to get them into some light / quick RPG games and strategy. Card games are good too, we've started playing Mille Bourne too.

Any ideas or options to look into

Just a few quick thoughts for possibilities.  These are all games that my oldest 9 likes to play.  The youngest enjoys them, but as I said earlier is not big on conflict with other people.  She has no problem shooting arrows at goblins in our D&D campaign.  :)

Card Games:

Both like this one

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125678/dc-comics-deck-building-game

Oldest likes this one.  The youngest understands the game and rules.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion

Fun Dice Chucker:
Both like although the youngest only really enjoys attacking Dad in Tokyo.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70323/king-tokyo

Fun Area Control game gateway to bigger wargames perhaps:
Both like but fight over the few girl races...I need to pick up an expansion pack.  It does take some reminding and recommending on my part for the youngest because of the variable power/race traits.  Not too bad though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40692/small-world

I'd also recommend the Pathfinder Beginners Box as an intro to fantasy RPGs.  Has everything you need for levels 1-5.  Think old D&D red box if you are familiar with that version.  Plus there is a lot of free pdf material on the Paizo site.  I wish D&D 5e had gone this route, but sour grapes on my part.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/98302/pathfinder-roleplaying-game-beginner-box

bayonetbrant

13yo loves him some Dominion.  He even played in the local Dominion tournaments back when he was 10 and 11, and while he didn't make it out of the first round either time, he was competitive in both and easily could've.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Moreb

I like the look of Smallworld. I honestly had no idea there were so many games outside of the famous, mass produced, and often cheapened in quality, 'standard' titles.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Bison

Its a very good game and it scales great from 2-5 players with different maps for different player counts.

Yskonyn

Thanks for all the input here. I am surely going to keep an eye on it.

Moreb, nicely said. I think we live in a society where 'performance based living' has become the norm. Living the fast-life. Heck, even children in elementary school are bombarded with skill tests these days here in Holland.
I try to be concious about it and intently slow down often. Enjoy the little things. Be offline for a while. That sort of stuff. It's revelating. :) 
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jamus34

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 07, 2016, 03:25:34 PM
Thanks for all the input here. I am surely going to keep an eye on it.

Moreb, nicely said. I think we live in a society where 'performance based living' has become the norm. Living the fast-life. Heck, even children in elementary school are bombarded with skill tests these days here in Holland.
I try to be concious about it and intently slow down often. Enjoy the little things. Be offline for a while. That sort of stuff. It's revelating. :)

Standardized testing is the bane of modern society. It teaches kids nothing while taking away valuable classroom time.

/Rant

Sorry. I agree, spend time with your kids. I wish I did and do it more. Even the small things, for example my kids love the car wash
Insert witty comment here.

Bison

Quote from: jamus34 on November 07, 2016, 03:32:50 PM
Sorry. I agree, spend time with your kids. I wish I did and do it more. Even the small things, for example my kids love the car wash

Its the only way I get my car clean too.   O0

jamus34

Uhh.....er....I meant the automated car wash
Insert witty comment here.

Bison

Ha!  Not me.  We get out the hose, bucket, and sponges.  It usually degenerates into a water fight, but the car does gets a little water and soap on it too.

Moreb

My copy of Mice and Mystics: Heart of Glorm has arrived but not the base game or the other expansion. I'm debating on whether to open it or not. May want to see how the core game plays first.

Bison

Bison

The latest game added to the family collection is another fun strategy card game.

Arboretum

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/140934/arboretum

My daughters and wife really enjoy the game play and the artwork.  I don't disagree with them on either account.

Moreb

You werent kidding. That artwork is splendid.

Bison

We played a game of Evolution Climate this weekend.  No its not some PC driven climate change game.  I'd played the base game a couple of time previously, but it was the first experience with the game for my girls  They love animals, so it was a nice fit.  There are not a ton of different trait cards, but they can create a huge variety of species and with possible climate shifts between ice ages and hot ages it can get very interesting.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2876816/evolution-climate

I will say that the complexity of the trait system was a little confusing for the youngest.  She pick traits based on how cute the picture on the card was.  She said its in the middle of her games not the best and not the worst.  Makes sense as it maybe a little to advanced for her age.