What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

...I feel like some names got flipped around a little in that last paragraph, AB?  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 26, 2018, 02:57:23 PM
...I feel like some names got flipped around a little in that last paragraph, AB?  ???

Thanks - fixed it.

Gusington

Now reading The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Not much to do with grogs but I'm reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdian.

Pretty good so far and from my time in HS working the service industry I can concur it's a pretty good representation of the industry.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

The Wife just read that and enjoyed it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Now reading I, Ripper by Stephen Hunter.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on September 11, 2018, 07:49:14 PM
Now reading I, Ripper by Stephen Hunter.

The same Stephen Hunter that wrote a novel about an expert WW2 German sniper with one of the very first 'Vampyr' IR-equipped StGs? Titled 'The Master Shot', or something similar?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Yep, he's got a lot of sniper titles. I, Ripper is so graphic and detailed I've almost had to stop reading a few times and I'm only 50 pages in.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I read that 'Master Shot' book at least 30-odd years ago. It doesn't seem that long...  :(

We should have a thread for good WW2 fiction.

Lots of great stuff such as 'Whip' by Martin Caidin, 'HMS Ullyses'/'Guns of Navarone'/'Where Eagles Dare' by Alister MacLean, 'EASTER DAY, 1941' by some guy named Bordon, 'Von Ryan's Express' by What'sHisFace (I actually have the book somewhere  ::)) and so much more...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Gusington

WWII fiction and alternate history?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Gusington

Don't really see the need for it right now - it's not like this basic reading thread is really setting the world on fire.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

nelmsm

I'm reading Memoirs of Sergeant Bourgogne: 1812 - 1813. Should have started in July as I wouldn't have needed the air conditioner. About 50% in and he's just now reaching the Bezarina.

JasonPratt

Having finished some other things, I'm well into Anthony Everitt's The Rise of Rome: the Making of the World's Greatest Empire (a narrative history of the Republic, for what I suppose are obvious reasons ;) ).

And I'm about to start A Night With Saddam, which despite its pr0ny-sounding title  :buck2: is actually the story of the Special Ops medic who treated Saddam Hussein the night he was pulled out of his spider-hole, plus the Dr.'s campaign in Gulf War 2 leading up to that point. (Necessarily a brief campaign since, y'know, we flattened the Iraqis hard once we went to work.) Bro had gotten it for Christmas or maybe his birthday from someone (he knows a guy from church who was long-range recon special ops in the Middle East, who was one of the teams to go out putting up temporary beacons for the copters to navigate when attacking the Bin Ladin compound, so maybe from him), and lent it to the rest of us to read.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bob48

I'm reading 'Goring' by Roger Manvell and Heinrich Fraenkel. Its pretty sobering stuff so far.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!