Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: IICptMillerII on November 19, 2018, 02:22:05 PM
Quotela-la-la-la-la-la-la.....stop, you're not making it easy for me to let this one go, especially with the holiday sales on Steam not that far off where I'll waste my money on a bunch of cheap games that I'll rarely paly. Lie to me, tell me the game sucks so I should wait a year to get on sale.   :'(  :-\

Well I can give you one reason to maybe hold off. Piggybacking off what budd has already said; right now the vast majority of the game (easily 80%) is all in the battle generator. There are only 15 scenarios that come with the game, and all of them are designed as gameplay demo's of sorts, showing off specific gameplay features. Now for me, this isn't a deal breaker. I'm happy with the game as it is, and am hoping it will be expanded with DLC. However, for someone  on the fence, or looking to spend money on other things, I do think it could be a deal breaking factor.

LOL...you're making it worse.  I'd rather use a battle-generator than play a pre-made scenario. Do it often with CM: Red Thunder and GT: Mius Front. I'm rolling my pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters to come up with the $40.00 to ease the pain. I rarely buy new release games but this one is whispering-demon telling me to buy.

-budd-

Quote from: Rayfer on November 19, 2018, 03:15:39 PM
Quote from: IICptMillerII on November 19, 2018, 02:22:05 PM
Quotela-la-la-la-la-la-la.....stop, you're not making it easy for me to let this one go, especially with the holiday sales on Steam not that far off where I'll waste my money on a bunch of cheap games that I'll rarely paly. Lie to me, tell me the game sucks so I should wait a year to get on sale.   :'(  :-\

Well I can give you one reason to maybe hold off. Piggybacking off what budd has already said; right now the vast majority of the game (easily 80%) is all in the battle generator. There are only 15 scenarios that come with the game, and all of them are designed as gameplay demo's of sorts, showing off specific gameplay features. Now for me, this isn't a deal breaker. I'm happy with the game as it is, and am hoping it will be expanded with DLC. However, for someone  on the fence, or looking to spend money on other things, I do think it could be a deal breaking factor.

LOL...you're making it worse.  I'd rather use a battle-generator than play a pre-made scenario. Do it often with CM: Red Thunder and GT: Mius Front. I'm rolling my pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters to come up with the $40.00 to ease the pain. I rarely buy new release games but this one is whispering-demon telling me to buy.

I'll go play another battle and regale you with glowing statements and screenshots to push you over the edge O0 .....i'm thinking about Poland vs Russian 1985, or maybe 1990, hmmmmm so many choices.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

Here you go Rayfer

Poland vs Soviet circa December 1985 north of Fulda in the gap, snow on the ground. Meeting engagement, i brought a dismounted scout section, 2 sections of BWP-1 IFV's, i like these because they have saggers, 3 mech infantry platoons, 3 T-72 platoons MBT, 1 section of AA, 2 sections of attack helicopter's[MI-24 gunships] and two extra HQ units. The mech infantry rode in BWP's so they had sagger's also.

The map after i setup and plot my way points, before hitting go.

Missed this unit three times but finally got the kill, about 2500 meters away, i was on a hill side.

Near the end, fight was mostly in the center. i was trying to clear the center to push on to the other VP

Closer shot of the center

I really never had enough to move on the third VP, fight to a draw.

Here's the end AAR video. I'm getting better at pathing my units, its not perfect but it works mostly pretty well. I plotted way points to the center VP at the start, using delayed way points.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: DoctorQuest on November 19, 2018, 12:21:29 PM
Has anyone had issues installing the game on Win 7?

I enter my code and my directory and it simple ends after issuing a couple of message.

I'll get with support. Just curious if the grogs had seen any issues.

Cancel Yellow Alert. A reboot appears to have fixed the issue. I am a Happy WindowsTM User.

Game started up just fine.  \m/
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Moreb

Quote from: -budd- on November 18, 2018, 10:54:59 PM

Moreb, i attached the save game for this battle.

I'll check it out. Thanks.
When dongles fly? - mirth

BradS62

I'm enjoying playing at company level, smaller maps Close Combat style. Being closer giving more detailed orders hits the sweet spot. More map choices than you could ever play out with so many unit choices :)

Stryker07

I've been spending most of my free time with this since it released. My first couple fights were kind of disappointing since they were over so quickly, but my issue was the map size I was using. After stretching it out to 9-10km with about 6km height is perfect for what I want to play. Generally a Battalion reinforced, and the map size gives plenty of time before the fighting really starts. And the battles seem to be less linear, with everything breaking down to a series of smaller engagements spread across the battle area. Quite often when there is plenty of wooded terrain the AI will infiltrate my lines and I will be attacked from the rear with small units. Can be quite a shock to see a T-72M appear from the woods behind where your mech infantry platoon is defending the other way. 
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

ComradeP

I initially thought this was some Flashpoint Campaigns clone, but it seems to be more of a larger scale SPMBT/Combat Mission kind of game.

My main issue in terms of playability with SPMBT, and the reason for not buying modern CM titles, is that the maps always feel like they confine you in some way with engagement ranges not nearly being quite what they could be. That can also be a problem in WWII games, but long range killing power tends to be mostly limited to German vehicles.

By the looks of it, this game has a much more appropriate scale. With all the positive comments in this thread, I think I'll buy it for Christmas.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

I have 44% off from Matrix  ^-^
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Quote from: ComradeP on November 20, 2018, 02:36:09 AM
I initially thought this was some Flashpoint Campaigns clone, but it seems to be more of a larger scale SPMBT/Combat Mission kind of game.

My main issue in terms of playability with SPMBT, and the reason for not buying modern CM titles, is that the maps always feel like they confine you in some way with engagement ranges not nearly being quite what they could be. That can also be a problem in WWII games, but long range killing power tends to be mostly limited to German vehicles.

By the looks of it, this game has a much more appropriate scale. With all the positive comments in this thread, I think I'll buy it for Christmas.

It's very sandboxy by the looks to it. I'm keen on picking this up as well.

ArizonaTank

The database editor seems quite powerful, but I can't find documentation on how to use it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rayfer

Excellent screenies budd...well planned assault ended in a draw, say a lot for the AI.

-budd-

Quote from: Rayfer on November 20, 2018, 09:34:05 AM
Excellent screenies budd...well planned assault ended in a draw, say a lot for the AI.
Well, actually after this play through i read in the manual that any battle ended early results in a draw. I did end it early as both forces seemed combat ineffective.

I'm going to do some experimenting with a larger map and dummy objectives. The size of maps I've been using have contact pretty much immediately. Also thinking about trying a close combat thing, small map, city, mostly infantry forces. Game is fun.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: ComradeP on November 20, 2018, 02:36:09 AM
In all fairness, the long-range American killing power tended to be of the "spot it on a hill and drop three hundred rounds of artillery on top of it".  Less satisfying to play out in a game, for sure!   ;D

Rayfer

budd and cptmiller....you did me in, downloading now and eager to get into it.