Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 08, 2018, 09:19:08 PM
Will it have coop?
scenario editor?
Map editor?

I enjoyed the free version way back in the day, but graphically there's not much improvement. I could get past the gfx if the game had some more features.

No multiplayer/co-op is planned at this point

There is the battle generator as mentioned, which is very verstaile IMHO. You can also create and save your own scenarios. It requires saving and editing a file if I remember correctly (basically you set up the basics in the battle generator, save it, then can edit/add options).

For the maps, being able to slice out a custom size of the "big maps" for a battle can create almost any kind of map config you want, but it is possible to create your own "big maps" if so desired. There is no editor for this but the process isn't overly complex for those with some computer graphics skills, as I understand. It just takes time! After the release we will post some guidelines on this.

I'd also say we have had quite a few graphical improvements since the freeware version. Not a dramatic overhaul of the engine of course, but still it looks better.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2018, 07:43:33 AM
No multiplayer/co-op is planned at this point

There is the battle generator as mentioned, which is very verstaile IMHO. You can also create and save your own scenarios. It requires saving and editing a file if I remember correctly (basically you set up the basics in the battle generator, save it, then can edit/add options).

For the maps, being able to slice out a custom size of the "big maps" for a battle can create almost any kind of map config you want, but it is possible to create your own "big maps" if so desired. There is no editor for this but the process isn't overly complex for those with some computer graphics skills, as I understand. It just takes time! After the release we will post some guidelines on this.

I'd also say we have had quite a few graphical improvements since the freeware version. Not a dramatic overhaul of the engine of course, but still it looks better.

Right. No thanks. Best of luck with the game.

I'll start buying Slitherine games again when they start making games for the 21st Century.

Battle Academy 2 had cooperative MP and its still on my hard drive, still being played on a weekly basis.

Jarhead0331

^I think that's a bit harsh, Apocalypse. There are so many multi-player centric games these days. Thankfully, wargaming is like the last genre vestige to still place great emphasis on the single player experience. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

Last I saw for stats in 2017 was less than 50% of console gamers play multiplayer and less than 30% of PC gamers play MP.

The key probably is that it skews based on genre, but not a lot.  So complaining that lack of MP makes a game not "modern" seems weird.  Its like a lot of things, because you do it a lot makes you think everyone does it a lot.

Father Ted

And I guess by their very nature MP players are more vocal on forums and so on.

Anyhow I'll be watching this one with interest

Philippe

By and large multiplayer isn't really my thing.  I will engage in it from time to time, and I generally refuse to buy games that are multi-player only.

Having said that, every AI I have ever seen has limitations.  It's pretty hard not to write a flawed AI.

I may not play multi-player very often, but it's hard to take a game seriously if it doesn't have it.

I suspect our friends at Slitherine/Matrix have painted themselves into a corner by coming up with their own proprietary version of multiplayer that has to be retro-fitted onto any game one of their developers makes. 

E-mail works just fine, and I don't want to play with some random twitch-monkey trolled off the internet, I want to play with someone I already know and trust.

An important part of multiplayer is the interaction, and I would rather not be indiscriminate about who I interact with.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Tamas

Quote from: Philippe on October 09, 2018, 12:38:30 PM

I suspect our friends at Slitherine/Matrix have painted themselves into a corner by coming up with their own proprietary version of multiplayer that has to be retro-fitted onto any game one of their developers makes. 

We have several games with multiplayer that do not use our PBEM server. :) We never restrict a developer on that.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 09, 2018, 10:54:26 AM
^I think that's a bit harsh, Apocalypse. There are so many multi-player centric games these days. Thankfully, wargaming is like the last genre vestige to still place great emphasis on the single player experience.

It's not about being multiplayer-centric, but a game that can be enjoyed co-operatively, SP, or even against human opponents.

Also, a game like this with no scenario editor just seems crazy.

Tamas

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 09, 2018, 03:11:00 PM

It's not about being multiplayer-centric, but a game that can be enjoyed co-operatively, SP, or even against human opponents.

I think there might be a misunderstanding in regards to "no mission editor", sorry about that. Being able to set up custom engagements is the main feature of the game, and consist of a lot of options over several screens.

You should check out XTRG's stream from yesterday, I marked the part where he begins assembling his first battle, he goes through each step:
https://youtu.be/pf4yA0iGH2s?t=69

IICptMillerII

I'm very excited for this title. I love Cold War scenario's in the mid-late 80's and tactical simulators. This seems to be the best of both worlds, combined. I played the open source version 1 and had a lot of fun with it. I already like the systems and mechanics, and am very much looking forward to all the improvements.
Lack of multiplayer certainly is not a deal breaker for me. I tend to play most games singleplayer anyways. Though it would be nice if at some point down the line coop was added. As is, it is an easy purchase for me.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2018, 03:50:19 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 09, 2018, 03:11:00 PM

I think there might be a misunderstanding in regards to "no mission editor", sorry about that. Being able to set up custom engagements is the main feature of the game, and consist of a lot of options over several screens.

You should check out XTRG's stream from yesterday, I marked the part where he begins assembling his first battle, he goes through each step:
https://youtu.be/pf4yA0iGH2s?t=69

I didn't misunderstand.

It seems like the ONLY feature of the game. Doesn't seem like we're getting a campaign, and maybe only a few SP premade scenarios.

The game has a battle generator, just like it did 5+ years ago.

Totally different than a scenario editor; where I can choose and array forces from either side in any way I'd like.

Tamas

Fair enough, seems like you have strong feelings about the game, we'll just agree to disagree on the overall worth of it.

Veitikka

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 09, 2018, 08:25:12 PM

I didn't misunderstand.

It seems like the ONLY feature of the game. Doesn't seem like we're getting a campaign, and maybe only a few SP premade scenarios.

The game has a battle generator, just like it did 5+ years ago.

Totally different than a scenario editor; where I can choose and array forces from either side in any way I'd like.

Currently the game has about 700 units and about 15,000 square km of terrain, so I wouldn't say that the battle generator is the 'only' feature of the game. A scenario can have its units pre-placed for the player, but the AI is fully dynamic so it always places its units as it likes. The scenario designer can add special features on the tactical map, such as river crossing points.

As I see it, we are providing a massive playground and huge number of toys that can be used to create an unlimited amount of scenarios, and I'm expecting that we will see them made by the community. Before developing the scenario making system much further, I'd like to hear what the users really want from it.

The plan is to add a branching campaign system in the DLCs. I think it's logical to first polish the scenario system and have plenty of scenario content, before building the campaign system on top of it all.

I think earlier you said that the graphics haven't been improved since the last freeware release. Perhaps you should look a bit more closely. The texture resolution has been multiplied, and all the units have high quality sprites. If I recall correctly, in the freeware version the zoomed-out map consisted of huge one-per-map-cell pixels. That has certainly changed. The UI has gone through a total redesign (designed by a professional UI designer), and can be scaled for 4k or whatever your screen size might be. There is high quality artwork for different map themes. Etc.

Personally, I've never played multiplayer wargames that much. Some Steel Panthers back in the day. The reason why AB has been built with emphasis on the 'random' battles and massive amount of content is that that's what I like. Canned and scripted scenarios and multiplayer have always been less important to me, but I understand that some people have totally different preferences. In my opinion AB perfectly fills this empty slot in tactical wargames.

BradS62

Just an initial impression from XTRG video. What is striking is the range of zoom-in/out. At full zoom-in I'm wanting to play out a Squad Leader scenario with a relatively small section of the battlefield. Go full out and you have a huge expansive area to control with a Realtime pause feature. Add in artillery, jet aircraft, and attack helicopters, sign me up.

Pete Dero

Quote from: BradS62 on October 10, 2018, 07:02:43 AM
Just an initial impression from XTRG video. What is striking is the range of zoom-in/out. At full zoom-in I'm wanting to play out a Squad Leader scenario with a relatively small section of the battlefield. Go full out and you have a huge expansive area to control with a Realtime pause feature. Add in artillery, jet aircraft, and attack helicopters, sign me up.

fixed the youtube link  (use the share link)