Up Front Reprint Redux

Started by Arctic Blast, August 22, 2012, 10:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

This time, Valley Games is talking about doing it. They must have picked up the rights after MMP did nothing with them for 789 years.

From BGG :

QuoteValley Games is very excited to announce that we have been offered the opportunity to produce Up Front. In association with the original designer, Courtney Allen, we will reproduce this classic title with improved and enhanced rules, new artwork and new graphic design. We will use Kickstarter to fund the project with a planned launch date of December 2012. More information to come as we get closer to the launch date.

0kult13

Im in, they wont but would like if they kept the art black&white and kept the waffen ss guy on the front and dont shy away from the ssshhhhwasstika, which thanks to most modern ww2 games im starting to questioned even existed during ww2.

Rekim

Whoa

This comes as a hugh surprise. Considering that MMP just threw in the towel within the last year, following over a decade with the rights and (cited) legal issues which prevented them from ever publishing. I'm excited for all of the new owners to be as upfront is truly one of the most enjoyable wargames ever IMHO.

Grimnirsson

Well, after writing the news for our gaming site about this announcement out of the blue, I thought about this possible reprint the whole night. This Valley Games company does seem to have some problems -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/841553/has-valley-games-gone-out-of-business, it's not a big name in the wargame world and so if MMP couldn't get the legal issues solved with 'Hasborg' now this small company just says 'sure, we'll do it'...?

My thoughts about this here -> http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/up-front-2000-announced-for-2013/

We'll see...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

GJK

This, within a day of MMP announcing that they are working on an official "electronic ASL Rulebook" (eASLRB) after it was thought that Hasbro wouldn't give up the electronic rights to ASL (whatever that meant in its entirety). 

I don't know of Valley Games.  I understand that they did reprint some long OOP AH games when nobody thought that they could.  So who knows?  I'm absolutely going to cherish my two copies of the original game though, that's for sure.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grimnirsson

MMP and an eASLRB??? Do you have a link Gary? This news totally escaped me and really...let's check the date...April 1st...or what?  ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

GJK

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grimnirsson

Thanks Gary. News shared. And good news they are! :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Rekim

That makes two fantastic developments in a single day, for my two favorite games.  8)

Recently, I started scanning small sections of The ASLRB onto my iPad and have been reading them during quiet times at work (just about 3 years into it and still working my way through the AFV rules  ::)). This has worked great and has obvious potential for the table top if only it had good search and index features, which my approach lacks.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Grimnirsson

You are kidding...I hope...  :o

www.homefrontcenter.de

Rekim

Ya, I'm a little puzzled as well. This card does not look like any from the original game.

jomni

Um did they just add new game mechanics?

bayonetbrant

Saw on FB... just wanted to mess with you guys :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 12, 2012, 09:58:52 PM
Saw on FB... just wanted to mess with you guys :)

I checked the URL of the image and held fire pending more info. ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.