DOOM

Started by parone, June 10, 2013, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haerdalas

I am liking Tien chi so far... but my first game with them almost had to be restarted after about 6 turns. I had the most ridiculously stupid bad luck. 2 turns running bad events on my capital, first time 25 Knights turned up and took over the countryside, halting my unit production. 2nd time, my only temple was destroyed before I actually got around to building any priests. I know misfortune 3 can be risky, but this was with order 3... what the hell!

Haerdalas

sorry, double posted by accident. is there any way to delete this post?

Faux

Quote from: Haerdalas on June 12, 2013, 11:09:45 AM
I am liking Tien chi so far... but my first game with them almost had to be restarted after about 6 turns. I had the most ridiculously stupid bad luck. 2 turns running bad events on my capital, first time 25 Knights turned up and took over the countryside, halting my unit production. 2nd time, my only temple was destroyed before I actually got around to building any priests. I know misfortune 3 can be risky, but this was with order 3... what the hell!

Wait till you get Bogus & co in your capital in the first few turns :D. I once had them show up before turn 10 or so. Misfortune can be perfectly manageable but I don't personally like it very much. Maybe because I'm not very good.

Haerdalas

yeah, I quite often play with misfortune, particularly when playing with order scales. This was exceptionally bad. I am about 3 turns beyond that now, still have yet to get my Scout-prophet back to rebuild the temple, and just had a barbarian horde in one province, Trodlydytes in another, and another lot of knights next to my capital. It is insane. PD makes no difference to these things - the first group of knights burnt through 30 points of of PD in my capital and took /1 casualty/. one.

Seriously, can you be cursed as a player? I would prefer bogus to this! at least them I could just avoid that one province or something, this is ridiculous. Hopefully the MP game goes a bit better...

To cap it all off, I am being attacked by both of my neighbours. Joy. Next time, my pretender can be imprisoned, I dont care, i just want to be able to hold my provinces.

Huw the Poo

Welcome to Grogheads, Faux!  Enjoy the game! :)

Bronwell

I'd like to join this game.  Still debating what nation I want to play and will post that later today.

For what it's worth, I've played single player Dominions for years, back to Dominions II, but only started my first multiplayer a little over a month ago.  Currently still alive at turn 35, but likely going to be killed off by one of the big two players in the not too distant future.  This game gave me some idea how badly you can be hosed by sites.  Site searched all my 20+ sites for nature, astral and holy in first 2 years to provide a whopping 1 astral gem, +1 nature gem income which just doomed my transition to mid/late game.

parone

many of you are talking about exceptionally bad luck, which has hit all of us at one time or another.  it is extremely irritating when it cripples you in MP, but hey, that's why MP is fun-everything seems important.

bronwell, welcome.  take your time selecting your build/nation.  but of course, i must say, first come, first serve.

Huw the Poo

Welcome to Grogheads, Bronwell!

Wingedflamez

Ok. I am going to try shinyu. They may be difficult. But I think I have a decent enough handle on how they work.

I was also wondering. The hist time is set for 24 hours. Is that going to be 24 hours or until everyone submits? And then 24 hours after that.

Tygaros

Hey there, I'd like to join the game with R'lyeh, if the map you'll choose supports Underwater Nations. This would be my second Dominions MP game, while the first one is currently in turn 13 (so I'm a totally new player).

Ogrims

Hi. I would like to join the game with C'tis. This would be my first MP game.

Bronwell

I think I've tentatively decided to try Pangaea.  I've never tried MA Pan even in SP so I am going to try some quick test runs at SP to confirm the choice.

Huw the Poo

Welcome to Grogheads, chaps!  I hope you enjoy the game! :)

parone

time to make dinner, but i'll check in back here later tonight.  i think we got 2 or three new players? 

we are dangerously close to having enough to try to set the game up.

ok folks, make sure you have downloaded the latest CBM (1.94?)  and assimilation mod.

get your pretenders set up and ready to submit.

i'll try and figure out an appropriate map tonight.

Tygaros:  any chance you could choose a non-water nation?  generally water nations are not great in newbie-type games, and especially frowned upon if there is only one water nation(and you would be the only one, i believe)

Tygaros

yeah, no problem, just give me a day to decide which one that will be. One question, is the Assimilation 1.1 I found here: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46696 the latest version or am I missing something?