Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

It messed up the flow for me. Maybe I'm not thinking it through clearly but in what is supposed to be a continuous cycle with the enemy returning fire one needs to spot again as if they always move out of site.  As I was saying, it would be more realistic if there was a modifier for spotting a unit your weapons were trained to a mere moment earlier. I guess it would make sense if the enemy had a action that removed it from contact, but that's not the case.

The maps are wonderful, the chits beautiful, the scenarios varied. The continuous spotting, not so much.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Moreb on October 22, 2018, 08:51:06 PM
It messed up the flow for me. Maybe I'm not thinking it through clearly but in what is supposed to be a continuous cycle with the enemy returning fire one needs to spot again as if they always move out of site.  As I was saying, it would be more realistic if there was a modifier for spotting a unit your weapons were trained to a mere moment earlier. I guess it would make sense if the enemy had a action that removed it from contact, but that's not the case.

It took some getting used to for us here, but it's definitely different than ASL where you just blast away with everything. Even more jarring - especially for an ASL player - routed units are instantly killed when an enemy unit approaches it. So you really have to develop attack lanes and keep organized in an assault. The spotting also requires players to be organized and have supporting units on line, so if one spotting attempt fails, you can try with another one.

It makes more sense to me than to you possible from a "reality" perspective. The way I look at it, you have an enemy squad in a house. He's going to expose himself briefly to shoot at you, then go to ground again. So for you, you don't know for sure if he's still there, if he pulled back, or possibly he's slipped out to flank you - as you know, that was always the objective for small units, get on the other guy's flank. Since there is player omniscience, you balance it out by requiring spotting. Units are still immediately spotted when they move into the open or fire, etc.

I do find their scenarios are generally well balanced. But, like all games, a different flavour that will not be for everyone.

Jarhead0331

Operation Moduler is released. Africa, here I come.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 06, 2018, 03:45:58 PM
Operation Moduler is released. Africa, here I come.

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't played in a few weeks with work being how it is.

As usual, the DLC is released with a free update. Check out this list. 1-10 are intriguing. First Iv'e heard of these. #7? #3?

1) Added support for auxiliary propelled guns.
2) Added ability to conduct mobilization for the commanders of partisan and national-liberation movements.
3) Added ability to use noise generators to reduce morale of the enemy troops.
4) Added ability for special units to conduct diversions.
5) Added ability for headquarters and command units to disinform the enemy.
6) Added ability to agitate the enemy and win over their soldiers.
7) Added ability to use illuminating bombs in order to keep the enemy soldiers from resting at night, thereby increasing their fatigue.
8) Added ability to organize air supremacy against enemy aviation.
9) Added ability to use transport aircraft for bombing.
10) Added ability to use foreign instructors in order to improve the level of training and morale of allied forces.
11) Fixed a bug that caused AI to not use the reserves in the operational phase.
12) Removed signs of German divisions from vehicles.
13) Added the organizational structure of the South African Army mechanized battalion.
14) Added the organizational structure of various UNITA infantry units.
15) Added the organizational structure of the Angola Army.
16) Added new vehicles: T-55, BRDM-2, Ratel-90, Ratel-81, Ratel-60, Ratel-20, Ratel Cmd, Land Rover with various weapons and without.
17) Added artillery: M-40 recoilless gun, ZU-23-2, "Vector" M3 mortar.
18) Added ATGM "Milan" and "Malyutka".
19) Added new types of air support: MiG-23 and "Impala" attack aircraft.
20) Added MANPADS "Stinger" and "Strela".
21) Added new infantry weapons: FN-MAG and M60 machine guns, R1, AGS-17, .50 Browning on a tripod, LRAC-89.

Toonces

Well crap, I thought for sure Mius would be on sale when the DLC landed...sadly, not the case.

It looks like it's worth asking price, but I'm going to hold out for ye olde Xmas sale.   O:-)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Moreb

Quote from: Toonces on November 06, 2018, 08:56:14 PM
Well crap, I thought for sure Mius would be on sale when the DLC landed...sadly, not the case.

It looks like it's worth asking price, but I'm going to hold out for ye olde Xmas sale.   O:-)

That is odd. They usually do run a sale on the base game when a dlc is released.

Grim.Reaper

it was just on sale during halloween sale.

IICptMillerII

I own both Operation Star and Mius Front, but for a variety of reasons I've never taken a real chance to get into these games. I started up Mius Front recently and have been playing through one of the winter campaigns. I'm a huge sucker for anything operational level, which was the main reason I picked Graviteam up in the first place a few years back. I've played a few battles in my chosen campaign so far and I've been managing well enough.

My single biggest mental hurdle to get over is how hands off the game ends up being. As far as I can tell, the best way to play the game is to give generic orders and then let your soldiers carry it out. In some instances this has been a disaster. I've had a squad of my men collide with an enemy squad and watched in annoyed amusement as both sides run circles around each other, as if they are blindfolded. On the other hand, I've had my soldiers carry out a company level frontal attack with tank support with just one or two orders issued. Watching that come together was very satisfying and enjoyable.

I'm planning on continuing the campaign I'm playing and try to get a better feel for the game and its systems. It certainly has appeal and at this point I'm convinced that if I give it time and come to understand it better I'll begin to enjoy it a lot more than I already do.

I know there is already a lot of great advice in this threat which I've skimmed, but if anyone has more advice then I'm all ears.

Sir Slash

I felt basically the same way about the game when I played the first demo way back. That and the hard to understand UI killed it for me. I hope the game's gotten better since then and you'll post some of your excellent AAR's when you get time.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Hofstadter

Played the newest dlc, will upload a video tomorrow. Its real juicy, got some stank on it.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Sir Slash

I'll be waiting with a clothespin on my nose.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Hof wins the internet for today with that description. Well done!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Sir Slash

Nice video Hof. You're right, the 'stank' level on this one is quite high.  O0

Silent Disapproval Robot

GT also put out a DLC for Tank Warfare: Tunisia.  Chewy Gooey Pass is a short, small campaign that works great as a first campaign.  There are only a few units to contend with and some interesting terrain so it's a good way to get into the system if you've been holding off.  Besides, it's not even $2 dollah!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/956070/Tank_Warfare_Chewy_Gooey_Pass/