Main Menu

Legion War

Started by DennisS, January 30, 2019, 11:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

The game looks very interesting to me.  So long as it doesn't turn into a total spreadsheet mash-up, I will almost certainly check it out once it makes it out of Early Build mode.

DennisS

Pardon my grognardy-grumpiness. Pretty soundly rejected by the group, for the most part.

...and that's OK! I like a hexes and chits (TRIM THEM, DAMMIT) with a small silhouette and LOTS of itty bitty numbers as much as anyone.

I loved me my 5-5-11 Churchill tanks in Panzer Blitz, and a MG along a straight road in ASL still brings a smile to my face. GO AHEAD, TRY TO CROSS THE STREET!

This is a good game, but not for everyone.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: DennisS on January 31, 2019, 10:27:31 AM
Pardon my grognardy-grumpiness. Pretty soundly rejected by the group, for the most part.

Nah, you weren't rejected.  I think it's part of the forum rules somewhere that every thread has to be derailed to some extent in order for it to be considered valid. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

That's me on the table.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

DoctorQuest

Is that what Origins is like?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

My guess is Origins is waaay more disturbing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Getting back to the OP, this game has released a Demo on Steam.  I played it for an hour or two last night and am quite impressed with the game mechanics and reach.

I've only scratched the surface, but I can't really tell how much "flavor" the game has.  I'm not crazy about the art work, but after playing for a few minutes, it's not really a distraction.  I LOVE the notion of having a city production mechanic that involves more than just "Population and Production", even if they only introduce one or two more "resources".

The biggest question I have is around replayability.  It feels like they have a little bit of work to do to customize different factions, etc.  At least in the demo, everything feels awfully generic.  And the map, while it might steer you in certain directions, doesn't seem to have an overriding influence that I can see (yet). 

Those who have played the game more than I might be able to comment more fully on it.  For still being in Alpha, the game looks very good.  For those interested in just spinning the tires on the Demo, I thought it worth a bump on this forum.

FlickJax

sorry cant look at that ..ugh :)

Sparhawk

I wish I could have found a game like this when my son was 8 years old. Maybe I could have steered him towards strategy type games a little more. A great combination of great game mechanics and graphics that a young audience would like.

Bardolph

Just spent 3 hours with the demo. Seems pretty solid so far.
The interface needs some work in places but the gameplay is good. The tutorial leaves a bit to guesswork as far as what things do, some translation issues or simply a lack of written instruction in places but I sussed it all eventually. Only quirk I found there was after winning the tutorial it gave me the option to continue, which I did and eventually cleared the board of all enemies but the last requirement was occupy all enemy castles... As far as I could see I WAS occupying all the castles but it wouldn't give me that last check mark.

Reminded me of Wesnoth to an extent. Was fun enough for it to somehow be 4am.  ::)

FarAway Sooner

ARISE, Thread of the Dead!

I've been playing this one some more, and I've got to say, the end result is awfully impressive.  I get you non-judgmental Art Snobs who can't get past it, but dang, the game play is DEEP and different.  For $10, I'm definitely pulling the trigger on this one.

I also keep getting my booty crushed playing on the 2nd-lowest difficulty level!