matrix 2018 holiday sale

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 21, 2018, 10:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RommelFox

Quote from: acctingman on December 20, 2018, 09:50:09 AM
That Heroes of Stalingrad looks interesting. I might pick that one up. Lots of neat mods for it too.

Thanks budd

This wasn't even on my radar. 

:dreamer: Pulls out credit card.  :dreamer:

My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

JasonPratt

It was on my radar for a long time. I'm glad I remembered to pull the trigger this time.

Thank God for modders!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

WallysWorld

Still deciding whether to buy War Plan Orange or not. WitPAE scares me and the inter-war period has always interested me. The only thing that is really turning me off is that the game doesn't run in widescreen as it's so old.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

-budd-

Quote from: WallysWorld on December 20, 2018, 04:13:07 PM
Still deciding whether to buy War Plan Orange or not. WitPAE scares me and the inter-war period has always interested me. The only thing that is really turning me off is that the game doesn't run in widescreen as it's so old.

Did you look here, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4491506  I bought the Hussar games and they go widescreen, stretched, but they don't look bad.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

RommelFox

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 20, 2018, 02:55:08 PM
It was on my radar for a long time. I'm glad I remembered to pull the trigger this time.

Thank God for modders!

Yeah the mods look great.  The information in the Heroes and Leaders mod thread has an impressive amount of historical information behind the units in the game.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Grim.Reaper

Yep, the screen resolutions on the older games is what keeps holding me back too....I would like War Plan Orange (and the other smaller naval game), but just concerned visually might be a problem.

WallysWorld

Quote from: -budd- on December 20, 2018, 04:32:29 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on December 20, 2018, 04:13:07 PM
Did you look here, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4491506  I bought the Hussar games and they go widescreen, stretched, but they don't look bad.

Yes, I read that a while ago. Thanks for posting that again. Unfortunately it doesn't help with widescreen resolutions. I guess stretching the 4:3 game screen is the only way to fill up my 25" monitor, but it will probably not look that good. It's a trade off of having such an old game.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JasonPratt

1280 x 1024 isn't bad. It's still higher definition than 720p (the original standard hi-def), and a little squarer than 4:3!

Or you can gear down again to 1280 x 960 for true 4:3 ratios, still significantly higher definition than 720p.

(I don't have WPO installed right now, so I don't know if it can natively take those resolutions -- though my provisional guess would be it can -- but it should scale up.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

I'm installing my copy right now, and will test with some sample screenshots if possible tonight (or anyway soon).

CJReich46

I must admit War Plan Orange did intrigue me. I wish they did the others Red/Crimson (UK and Canada) Gold (France) Black (Germany).

I might have to take a look.

I can run 1900x600 (Yeah my monitor is that old) that's not a big deal is it?
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

JasonPratt

Okay, first, for no clear reason my copy is running a masssssive amount of input lag in the main game. Not in the menus, but in the main game. Any input at all takes five or six seconds to register. That includes trying to mapscroll.

No idea why it's happening but it's happening to me and I wanted people to be aware.

Second, the game runs at 1024x768 and there are no resolution options. It did resize my desktop resolution down, or anyway my computer made my monitor run at 768 when in-game, but I could tab-out at the normal 1080. (It is impossible to use the taskbar to quit the game, so any quitting has to be done within the game or else by a warm-boot. This can be important if you accidentally set the game to run both sides by AI, or to play the first turn automatically...! ahem.  L:-) )

I'll try to attach some snapshots below, of India, Southeast Asia more generally, and the Home Islands at night (the latter during a part of turn resolution).

WallysWorld

Thanks for the screenshots, Jason. I thought the game would have 1280x1024 resolution.

I'll probably sit on the bench for WPO until I get my anniversary coupon which should come in early January.

As for your game's slowness issue, someone else had the same issue and the thread that -budd- posted above seems to have resolve that person's slow issue:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4491506

Gusington

Bought WPO for 5.00 during the Matrix fall sale.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Ah yes! -- been so long since I ran it, I forgot about the infamous "deep color" problem! I'll make sure I run it in XPSP2 compatability, too. (Haven't tested the fix yet, but it rings a big bell.  O0 )