Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

For some reason there was some controversy about this so the page is removed for the moment.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/the-legatus-pack/

Jarhead0331

^People will buy that.

I got into an argument with someone on the official Star Citizen Facebook page who had spent over $300,000 on Star Citizen. I started the argument by commenting that I'm about as pro-capitalist as anyone on the planet, but seeing someone spend that kind of money on not only a digital product, but on digital products that haven't even been made yet, many of which are only in concept, was a tough pill to swallow given the level of suffering on some parts of the world. The argument got worse when it was disclosed that the particular individual was the recipient of a large Worker's Compensation settlement for an injury he sustained on the job. This pissed me off, because now he is spending tax payer dollars that were meant to compensate for an injury on virtual products in a video game.

The point is, big spenders came out of the woodwork to defend this spending behavior. So, they are out there...

I'd also like to take this opportunity to note that development is really in a good place. 3.1 is the best build yet and some great things are expected in 3.2 which will go live before the end of June. So far, RSI is sticking to the quarterly update schedule, as promised.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2018, 10:03:07 AM
300k 😳

It was closer to $400K if I recall...I think my overall point in commenting was initially, if you want to spend that kind of money and you have it, more power to you, but I wouldn't brag about it, or publicize it. Its embarrassing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2018, 10:03:07 AM
300k 😳

Can't you buy a ticket to go in to real space for that amount of money ?

Dammit Carl!

Man, that is some serious level of crazy.  Granted, I've dropped some dimes on quite a few gaming-related things (skins, premium tanks, etc.) but several thou?

Are people getting these things because they genuinely like the game or is it some sort of "bragging rights," approach?

Gusington

Closer to 400k??? DAYUM

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 29, 2018, 10:07:46 AM
Are people getting these things because they genuinely like the game or is it some sort of "bragging rights," approach?

I think its the dream of what the game can actually be that motivates...and yes, being such a big spender in a game that has so many hardcore followers and having that kind of notoriety probably motivates, as well.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Well ... I can see someone spending 300 (non-k for Christ's sake) on the dream of what a game can become, but 3000, 30000 or even 300000 is just mind boggling insanity!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 29, 2018, 10:06:03 AM

It was closer to $400K if I recall...

Nearly one-half million dollars.

Someone with that amount of disposable income (if it is income) and a bit of thinking could actually become an investor and get all that and more for free.

Could someone give me his number. I have a ton of digital product not yet made he can buy.

It's the best space game ever made (not made yet).

Gusington

Clearly that amount does not buy brains. Maybe brains start at 425.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2018, 10:54:39 AM
Maybe brains start at 425.

too rich for my blood. I'll have to continue doing without.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Pete Dero

And now he still needs money for a high-end PC to play it on ...

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 29, 2018, 11:03:36 AM
And now he still needs money for a high-end PC to play it on ...

Calling it now: dude puts out a kickstarter for this purpose.

fabius

Thanks for posting the $400k anecdote Jarhead. That's a real insight into humanity and today's world.

I also find that $27,000 for
QuoteAlmost every ship is in this package..
; almost every ship, surreal.