Military Operations: Benchmark released

Started by Grecco, June 21, 2018, 06:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grecco

Hi guys,

Today we released the 20.4.0 update of Military Operations: Benchmark.This version contains a play-test option where you can try out ordering units in a small hypothetical scenario and capture some objectives. Due to popular request, we made sure this scenario can be played on video cards with 2GB VRAM.

This youtube video explains how to draw orders for units: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Fql859KOQ

Feel free to post comments here or on the Steam forums.

sandman2575

I'm seriously in awe of what you and your team are attempting, Grecco.  In many ways, this is beginning to look like what I could envision as my ideal WW2 strategy game. Seriously impressive stuff.

Please keep pressing forward!

RyanE

Starting around the 4 minute mark was some pretty good stuff.

Iconoclast

Very interesting.

Would you mind giving us an overview of what types of orders you are planning to implement, to modify the AIs behaviour? I.e. Movement to Contact versus deliberate attack, hasty attack etc.

Also, are you planning on allowing players to choose the formation? It seemed in the benchmark that units move in an unspecified formation?

Best Regards,

A
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

acctingman

never mind....I'm an idiot  :idiot2:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: acctingman on August 15, 2018, 08:50:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I posted yesterday asking if this was still a 2018 release....looks like a mod deleted it?  O0

Bro...you posted that in the Burden of Command thread. It's very much still there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

acctingman

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 15, 2018, 08:51:42 AM
Quote from: acctingman on August 15, 2018, 08:50:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I posted yesterday asking if this was still a 2018 release....looks like a mod deleted it?  O0

Bro...you posted that in the Burden of Command thread. It's very much still there.

Oh
my
GOD

Sorry....I'd like to blame this snafu on my lack of caffeine....but, I can't  :crazy2:

Tuna

Grecco

Quote from: Iconoclast on August 14, 2018, 10:17:11 PM
Would you mind giving us an overview of what types of orders you are planning to implement, to modify the AIs behaviour? I.e. Movement to Contact versus deliberate attack, hasty attack etc.

Also, are you planning on allowing players to choose the formation? It seemed in the benchmark that units move in an unspecified formation?

Since one of our stated goals is to create a realistic simulation of operational warfare, the range of orders we plan to include is fairly large and should eventually cover all the 'usual suspects' and perhaps even more. The biggest challenge is how to expose these to the player without creating a thousand-button-UI while still allowing for enough expressiveness so a player can clearly express his intent. This is why we start out simple and work from there.

You can expect formation selection to be included as part of the player's commands.

Grecco

We have a new BLOG entry up on our website discussing the upcoming changes to the unit order menu: http://militaryoperationshq.com/unit-orders/
Feel free to comment on what you do or don't like about it, feedback is much appreciated.

AchillesLastStand

Am thinking this has been abandoned, which is a shame because it looked very interesting. Last blog on Steam/their website/FB has been around 14 months ago.

ArizonaTank

I was recently wondering what happened to it myself. Seemed rather ambitious for a small team.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

The_Admiral

Same thing here - I was again on their page yesterday. For me personally, one of the greatest disappointments of these last few years, it all started so well. A shame, really  :(
I hope the people who were in charge - and especially Grecco - are all doing well, and that the interruption had nothing to do with their health or their way of life. I wish them well.  :-\

JasonPratt

Yep, same. There was a decent interest in the potential of the game -- as I can attest because my clever demo video of the original release build, is a strong third overall in views on my tiny little channel! (Nearly 2000 views, and I have something like 154 subscribers.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!