Civ 4 Caveman to Cosmos Mod Update

Started by solops, February 16, 2018, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

I played the mod for about a month when you first posted about it.  Enjoyed it for a while but the grind of harvesting roaming animals ended up making the game drag on.  Only got about half way through the classical era (500 BC) before I stopped.  Does wild animal spam get reduced as time goes by?  I wanted to try starting at a later era but the mod recommends not doing that because it disadvantages the AI too much. 

And I guess the biggest question: is my save file compatible with the newest patch?  I'd hate to go through that all again.

Boggit

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 04, 2018, 03:08:39 PM
That does look interesting (the mod, not the screenshot--I'll wait for her in VR).  Solops, do they list release notes in any format besides a Word Doc?  For those of us trying not to use free products rather than pay out the nose for MS Office...

If not, no worries, just thought I'd ask!  Thanks, guys, for posting this.  I played the old Civ IV Fall from Heaven mod about 2x as much as I ever played the original game, so if this mod has half the legs, I might be dusting off my old Civ IV copy.  You know, if I can actually find the DVD...   :)
You might have a problem with the DVD.

I tried re-installing CivIV; Warlords; and Beyond the Sword, but it doesn't work anymore because of a change Windows made. 2K were doing a Steam replacement scheme for people with disk copies, but that has expired.

You'll have to play it on Steam now, or the GOG version.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bobarossa

Someone produced a patch that takes away the CD check. I believe it was sanctioned by developer but I can't recall where it's located at the moment.

edit: Did some reading at CivFanatics forums and if you have installed the BTS 3.19 patch it should run without the disk check. 

solops

The animal kill grind has been toned down, but it does last a bit. I play on Marathon speed. I reloaded all of my games from the Civ4 Complete DVD and I have no problems playing under Win7.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Civ 4 with C2C is still the best civilization. The latest is v40.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/caveman-2-cosmos-ideas-discussions-thread.377892/page-1008
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on September 29, 2020, 04:54:39 PM

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/caveman-2-cosmos-ideas-discussions-thread.377892/page-1008

Nice to see you over at Civfanatics.  I am there as well but under the name "Moff Jerjerrod".  Joined up in the early 2000s before I became W8taminute.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Quote from: W8taminute on October 01, 2020, 09:56:20 AM
Quote from: solops on September 29, 2020, 04:54:39 PM

Nice to see you over at Civfanatics.  I am there as well but under the name "Moff Jerjerrod".  Joined up in the early 2000s before I became W8taminute.   8)

:)   I would NEVER have made that connection!!!  I still go by Civfanatics from time to time, mainly to check on this mod. I have been caught up in other things and not been in a while. Now that this new version is updated, I'm going to try it out. I have gotten addicted to Shadow Empires, so I have to kick that first....SE has very steep learning curve and some vital info is poorly presented. Hopefully, the dev will sort that out soon.

MOS:96B2P

Civ IV is my favorite Civ game.  I didn't know about this mod.  How difficult is it to dowload and install?  Do you get the mod through Steam or the Civ Fanatics forum?

MetalDog

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on October 01, 2020, 07:37:31 PM
Civ IV is my favorite Civ game.  I didn't know about this mod.  How difficult is it to download and install?  Do you get the mod through Steam or the Civ Fanatics forum?

QFT!  (in case none of you knew of my affection for IV)  And I second the question posed, how easy is it to install?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

solops

Easy peasy! Download the zip file from the link in the Civ Fanatics thread, which sends you to ModDB. Unzip it. It creates a C2C folder. Move or copy that folder into the mods folder of the Beyond the Sword subfolder of Civ4. Done! Just select C2C mod in the Civ4 startup menu.

The download link
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15324

The latest is 40.1

solops

Also, I have been using the 32-bit exe extender for all my old programs. It helps a great deal by helping old programs address more RAM.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: solops on October 01, 2020, 07:51:20 PM
Easy peasy! Download the zip file from the link in the Civ Fanatics thread, which sends you to ModDB. Unzip it. It creates a C2C folder. Move or copy that folder into the mods folder of the Beyond the Sword subfolder of Civ4. Done! Just select C2C mod in the Civ4 startup menu.

The download link
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15324

The latest is 40.1

Thanks.  Downloading now.   :)

bobarossa

OK, running the new version and liking it much more than one from 2 years ago.  No hordes of animals hindering movement now.  I do have a problem with an invisible unit (Exile?) pillaging my improvements.  I can't find anyway to observe them (used Watcher and Enforcer).  Building city improvements too (watchtower, etc) Any ideas what to do?

bobarossa

To answer my own question, I continued playing and eventually I got a start of turn message that said a criminal had been detected in my city.  When I clicked on my Enforcer, there was a new action  button at bottom that said apprehend criminal.  Pressing it resulted in capture and disposal of a Russian Exile.  Cost me a total of two improvements, and about a dozen trails. 

solops

Major Update today from v40.1 to v 41. This update breaks save game compatibility, so beware. The devs say that the update addresses stability, game balancing, speed and memory usage.