Star Wars Battlefront II - PC

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 12, 2017, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 12, 2017, 11:20:13 PM
I'm having a lot of fun with it.  It's a much better game than the first Battlefront, which I was turned off of in the Beta. 

But yeah, the loot crate system is absolutely horrific, especially since the heroes are locked behind a credit paywall.   You essentially have to decide to pay in game credits to level your character, or pay them to buy a hero and instead rely on real money to progress. 

But, man it's really solidly well made.  The starfighter assault mode alone is worth the price of admission.   You just have to ignore the progression side of the game.

Somebody mentioned above that this game has a space sim side to it? But then somebody mentioned no joystick?
Is it better than XWING or Tie Fighter?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on November 13, 2017, 04:57:27 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 12, 2017, 11:20:13 PM
I'm having a lot of fun with it.  It's a much better game than the first Battlefront, which I was turned off of in the Beta. 

But yeah, the loot crate system is absolutely horrific, especially since the heroes are locked behind a credit paywall.   You essentially have to decide to pay in game credits to level your character, or pay them to buy a hero and instead rely on real money to progress. 

But, man it's really solidly well made.  The starfighter assault mode alone is worth the price of admission.   You just have to ignore the progression side of the game.

Somebody mentioned above that this game has a space sim side to it? But then somebody mentioned no joystick?
Is it better than XWING or Tie Fighter?

Not comparable in my opinion.  Battlefront space battles is not meant to be a deep flight experience, more arcade and light.  With that said, I still find it enjoyable.

Destraex

Quote from: Moreb on November 12, 2017, 06:42:13 PM
There is some kind of special edition out now and if you buy it you get to start playing it early. To me, the space flight sim of the game looks very good but I'm not sure about the on foot combat. I have to see map sizes first.

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/star-wars/star-wars-battlefront-2/deluxe-edition

space flight sim?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Moreb

Dogfight sequence then.  Is there a reason to split hairs?
When dongles fly? - mirth

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Moreb on November 13, 2017, 11:22:40 AM
Dogfight sequence then.  Is there a reason to split hairs?
Only I suppose to prevent people from thinking there's anything remotely relating to a space flight sim in this game. Someone might decide to get it based on that. Not me though - I research the games I buy  :DD
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

^Indeed.  There is no "space flight sim" portion to the game.  There is an arcade starfighter portion that is far deeper than the one offered in Battlefront 2015 and a lot closer to what you had in the original 2005 Battlefront 2.  I'd say it compares pretty well to War Thunder.

The space portion is very fun and aims hard towards a cinematic experience.  If played properly, the maps are objective based and heavily Star Wars inspired, so lots of opposed torpedo runs against shield generators, droid control nodes, main reactors ect.  You WILL die a lot, but that's the point, you're the guys that didn't live in the Death Star trench run.  Once you play the objectives enough and rack up enough points in the map, you can switch to hero ships like Vader's Tie or Luke's X-Wing and start wrecking people. 

So, don't expect X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.  Expect 2005 Battlefront meets War Thunder. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

This video has a pretty good rundown of the biggest problem in the box/progression system. 

I'm hopeful the current outcry makes a dent in EA, because the game is really good outside of this madness..

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Rayfer

Wow...a really damning video.  Hard to believe this is happening in the gaming world.  Glad I don't play this genre of game.  :'(

SirAndrewD

And EA craps their pants and backpedals.  Hero costs just took a step back across the board.  I wonder what will be done for those that already blew a ton of money to get enough credits to get an early buy.

Sometimes negative backlashes make a difference...

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/swbfii-changes-launch?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-launchchangesblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&****=41287&ts=1510608670004

Arctic Blast

Good to see, because the fact that all expansions and DLC will be freely released content has me VERRRYYYYY interested in this one.

SirAndrewD

I feel that even without a dime spent, either real or in credits, on loot crates, the game is worth it. 

The game is essentially the anti-Battlefront 2015.   Even the single player campaign is good, and does not feel like a bolted on bot fest.  I haven't dug too far into it, but it's some of the most fun I've had in a Star Wars shooter since the old Dark Forces days.  Also, I have to give a lot of respect for ANY single player Star Wars experience that unapologeticly and totally commits to being from the viewpoint of the Empire.

Oh, and the future DLC will add to the single player portion, and provide some background into the founding of the First Order and lead into Last Jedi.

In a way, this makes it even more sad that it's got the loot crate system bolted on.  DICE made a great game that listened to every criticism of their failed outing in 2015 and made up for it.  EA then made sure to monetize the heck out of progression to make up for the fact that they're avoiding prices on season passes and DLC.   They finally managed to put a mobile game cash grab system into something worth buying and playing. 

The way I see it, I'm rewarding DICE with the sticker price for the game and the $5 I paid for a month of EA Access to play the trial.  I'm not going to reward EA with any micro transactions from there on.  May be a bit of a Devil's bargain, but oh well, I'm having fun with it.

JudgeDredd

I'm a bit disappointed about playing the Imperial forces...I wanted to play some of my fav characters from the Rebels, including Rogue One (easily the best one of all the Star Wars films imo).

But I was still going to get this.

I now just have to hold onto my cash when TOAW IV is released to be able to get this
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 14, 2017, 01:27:08 AM
I'm a bit disappointed about playing the Imperial forces...I wanted to play some of my fav characters from the Rebels, including Rogue One (easily the best one of all the Star Wars films imo).

But I was still going to get this.

I now just have to hold onto my cash when TOAW IV is released to be able to get this

Imagine the horror of loyal Imperials high fiving their victory on Endor, and then looking up at their beautiful instrument of victory in the sky, the Death Star, and watching it explode.

Then...

The screams of the Ewoks, thirsting, hunting..
They're hunting us. From the trees. They're in the trees!

The campaign has a lot to offer even if it's not our favorite characters.

JudgeDredd

Oh - yeah - Ewoks. I hope you Stormtroopers brushed up on your tickling skills!  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath