Steel Division 1944 (by wargame red dragon devs) in game trailer and unit stream

Started by Destraex, March 29, 2017, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Quote from: Destraex on April 01, 2017, 07:05:55 PM
Watching this video of steel division multiplayer and very happy to see that a lone tank moving forward, because it cannot see much, does not affect the front line much other than to isolate itself in a small pocket that is very vulnerable to the SD44 "cut units off and force them to surrender" mechanic. This is a great improvement on other games where you can send lone tanks up and their morale and isolation does not affect them in the least.

Agree. It has very interesting implications for that time-honored (but, in my view, gimmicky and exasperating) RTS tactic of "rushing." Namely, that rushing will no longer be a viable early-game stratagem.  O0

Destraex

Agreed. However in real life spamming was sometimes the order of the day. I mean that was the whole point of Blitzkrieg right?
Concentrate and then punch through with overwhelming force at one point in the line. For the enemy it is to contain that breach and counter attack hopefully cutting the enemy off. But I do understand your point though. Their were many games that relied on simply driving a force at the enemy lines and that was the extent of the game, because there was not need to defend a whole line. The front lines mechanic in SD44 makes people want to ensure their lines are secure across the entire front as well as allowing some really neat break through mechanics... i.e. you have to portect the flanks of a break through. Their is no send two tanks driving behind enemy lines to destroy ther enemy base... I LOVE THIS! :P
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

sandman2575

In anticipation of this, I started playing Wargame Red Dragon again. Such an amazing game... but boy am I terrible at it!  I can spend hours putting together decks, which is a lot of fun in itself -- but when it comes to using those decks in skirmishes against the AI, even on Easy, even playing mostly at Slow and Very Slow speeds, I keep getting overwhelmed.

The last RTS I felt I had good mastery of was Company of Heroes, about 10 years ago!  I guess I'm just far more comfortable now with the sloooww, easy to control pace of games like Combat Mission.

I'd love if Steel Division played a little 'slower' than Wargame, but watching the dev demonstrations, it looks like the pacing is pretty comparable (unfortunately for me!)

acctingman

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 02, 2017, 09:46:19 AM
In anticipation of this, I started playing Wargame Red Dragon again. Such an amazing game... but boy am I terrible at it!  I can spend hours putting together decks, which is a lot of fun in itself -- but when it comes to using those decks in skirmishes against the AI, even on Easy, even playing mostly at Slow and Very Slow speeds, I keep getting overwhelmed.

The last RTS I felt I had good mastery of was Company of Heroes, about 10 years ago!  I guess I'm just far more comfortable now with the sloooww, easy to control pace of games like Combat Mission.

I'd love if Steel Division played a little 'slower' than Wargame, but watching the dev demonstrations, it looks like the pacing is pretty comparable (unfortunately for me!)

Ugh, then someone with my mental capacity is out  :idiot2:

one of these days, I'm going to buy a CMx2 game and give it a go. The fact that it's pause-able and I can take my time to play the game out helps someone like myself who struggles with RTS games  :crazy2:

sandman2575

Hey, don't sell yourself short, man! My struggles with Eugen's Wargame series shouldn't be taken as a benchmark of difficulty by, well, really anyone.  ;)

Combat Mission has the advantage that you don't even need to play it RTS style -- indeed, I'd suggest it shouldn't be played this way. I much prefer (and think probably most CMx2 players play this way) playing by 1-minute turn increments. You give all your orders, press 'finished,' and watch the action unfold for 60 seconds, during which you can't do anything but watch the action unfold.

jomni

My trouble with Wargame isn't about the RTS-like game speed. It's more about employing combined arms properly. A lot actually lies on the deck building too which can lead to victory or defeat even before the shooting starts. I'm lazy to give a lot of thought on deck building.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Mine was the speed.  I wanted to like Air-Land Battle but it moved way too quickly for my tastes (and reflexes).  You couldn't even take the time to zoom in and see the action (and enjoy the pretty graphics) or you'd end up losing a key unit/location.

I know Red Dragon introduced a slow down element but from the videos I've watched, even that moves more quickly that I care for.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on April 02, 2017, 08:46:33 PM
My trouble with Wargame isn't about the RTS-like game speed. It's more about employing combined arms properly. A lot actually lies on the deck building too which can lead to victory or defeat even before the shooting starts. I'm lazy to give a lot of thought on deck building.

I felt the same way about deck building for a really long time. Finally though, I dove in and it became a lot of fun to experiment. Since I play solo, I try to create balanced decks. It's usually pretty obvious quickly if something is missing or weak and it's quite fun to go back into the builder after a battle to try and tweak things to solve the problem.

I can see how the system would be even more useful for team battles where each player picks a particular specialty.

Just an all around fantastic series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 03, 2017, 02:25:21 AM

I can see how the system would be even more useful for team battles where each player picks a particular specialty.

It's very good in theory. But random MP battles end up being a sad affair when there's no teamwork. Not to mention the rage quitters.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 02, 2017, 09:32:43 PM
Mine was the speed.  I wanted to like Air-Land Battle but it moved way too quickly for my tastes (and reflexes).  You couldn't even take the time to zoom in and see the action (and enjoy the pretty graphics) or you'd end up losing a key unit/location.

I know Red Dragon introduced a slow down element but from the videos I've watched, even that moves more quickly that I care for.

It's like 1 frame per second on its slowest speed SDR!

undercovergeek

Quote from: jomni on April 02, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Deck building is half the game - build one, play it, find out what was short, not enough anti tank, too much air power and refine your deck

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on April 03, 2017, 03:11:34 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 03, 2017, 02:25:21 AM

It's very good in theory. But random MP battles end up being a sad affair when there's no teamwork. Not to mention the rage quitters.

Yes. But this holds true for all mp games. When you play random matches, you're always going to come across jerks. It's the reason why I rarely play mp unless I have a good group of known friends to play with.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 03, 2017, 03:41:30 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 02, 2017, 09:32:43 PM

It's like 1 frame per second on its slowest speed SDR!

I was going to say this. Really, it is for all intents and purposes a pause. I bet the reason they didn't just include an outright pause is because it would have required a ton of work to permit the ability to issue orders while completely paused.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog