What's that one game you always go back to?

Started by steve58, August 25, 2019, 04:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

Men of War Assault Squad 2, playing multiplayer. Have 1800 hours in game according to Steam, half of that however is probably waiting in the lobby. :DD

Silent Disapproval Robot

War Thunder.  Been having a blast with the naval warfare portion lately.  I find zipping around in War Thunder's high speed torpedo boats much more visceral and engaging than lumbering along in the capital ships from World of Warships.

I play realistic battles but most people go arcade.  This was the only video of realistic battles I could find.  The guy's gunnery skills are terrible and his gfx settings aren't maxxed but it gives you an idea of what the gameplay is like.  I prefer realistic because it doesn't put names or highlights over enemy units.  Nor does it auto highlight enemy torpedo tracks.   Most importantly, you have to manually adjust gunnery range and take the motion of both your ship and your target into account when aiming. 

Here's arcade battles.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Anguille

Gusington

Field of Glory series, Total War series, AssCreed series, and even Age of Empires and Diablo series sometimes.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

MengJiao

Quote from: steve58 on August 25, 2019, 04:58:14 PM
Like the SL sez, which one?  When you get an hour or two to sit down and game.  I've got way too many games in my Steam/MG/GG/GMG/etc accts and just bought all of Civ VI (I will play it honest!), but...when the time come to sit down and have some fun, I almost always fire up World of Warships (THAT may change now that subs ARE coming  >:().  Just curious... :-\

DCS...at least for the last few years.  I just play in the editor more or less so its not very stressful.

Huw the Poo

Well, I can't imagine I'll ever get bored of Tower Unite especially as they keep adding to it all the time (arcade coming soon!).  It's what my gaming group use to warm up before the serious part of the evening.

But a more accurate answer to the question would be Sins of a Solar Empire.  As far as I'm concerned, it's as close to perfection as any space RTS will ever get.  The pacing is just perfect as it's real time but slow, it drips with atmosphere, and it's really configurable.  Any time I'm in a gaming slump I load it up and rediscover my love of gaming all over again.  I love it.

Wolfe1759

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Tripoli

Kerbal Space Program.  To get something orbiting, even if you've done it a 100 times, is still fun.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Silent Disapproval Robot

Whoops.  Wrong thread.  Play War Thunder Naval!

Huw the Poo

W8taminute

CivIII: Conquests will always be my game that I will go back to.  I spent the entire decade of the 2000s playing nothing but this game when it came out.  Just the right balance of 'one more turn' and 'cartoony graphics that don't look gay like today's civ games'.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Steelgrave

Whichever CIV is the latest at the time. Some were better than others, but there's not a one I don't have a thousand hours or more sunk into.

Gusington

HA W8...you can't use 'gay' as an adjective!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd