What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

See now don't just take my word for it...if AR likes it, it has to be legit.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

After reading Of Dice and Men, I thought I would continue in a similar vein by reading Ready Player One by Ernest Kline.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MetalDog

Quote from: Greybriar on June 20, 2016, 09:18:15 AM
After reading Of Dice and Men, I thought I would continue in a similar vein by reading Ready Player One by Ernest Kline.

It's a great read.  Although, iirc, you probably have close to 20 years on me, so, all of the obvious 80's nerd cultural references may not resonate with you.  If they do, more power to you and I say enjoy either way  O0
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

I'm 40 pages into Conquerors by Crowley and I am not disappointed. He is a gifted writer. Definitely read it if you love Renaissance history and the history of discovery & exploration.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I finished The Miraculous Torpedo Squadron. It was a great read, ultimately. However, it ended rather unceremoniously; he flew off the Junyo after Midway, and had his hand shot off in a raid against Henderson Field. He described ditching (I think this was his third time having to ditch his torpedo bomber) with just the one hand (his left; he was right-handed, and that's the one he lost), and the weeks that followed in the Guadalcanal jungles. Ultimately on his return, he described how he decided to leave the IJN, despite numerous peers suggesting he not do so. I found that part a little hard to believe; I can't imagine he would just be let go, even with a missing hand, as he could easily have been tapped as an instructor or some other position. But I guess the IJN could have let men with newfound, permanent disabilities be discharged. However, he talked all too briefly about how he was re-drafted in mid-44 as an instructor out of a base near Tokyo, and that's about where it ended. The translator elaborated a bit, saying how that field was used for a lot of Kamikaze raids. Could have been that Mori found it way too distasteful to describe, or perhaps the time he was there and the firebombing of Tokyo was too much to bear. I had, honestly, really hoped to read his FULL memoirs, his insights, not just from 'the good years' but also from the bad ones. It would have truly been a very unique insight into the mind of a Japanese naval officer as things started turning to shite in the later war years. In any case, I recommend it.

Now I've started to read the first book in the Honor Harrington series. I admit total ignorance of this, despite having heard an interview with the guys that ran HonorCon. For one, I didn't know Honor was a woman. Not that THAT is a big deal - certainly not - I'm just saying how totally in the dark I am with this book, going into it. So far it's a great read.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Gusington on June 25, 2016, 12:32:13 PM
I'm 40 pages into Conquerors by Crowley and I am not disappointed. He is a gifted writer. Definitely read it if you love Renaissance history and the history of discovery & exploration.

Next on my list!

Gusington

AR if you have time I can hand my copy off to you in a few weeks.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 20, 2016, 06:39:57 AM
Just finished The Rising Sun by John Toland. Excellent book.

A classic. I need to re-read it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Just finish One Second After.  If you want a book that will keep you awake at night with nightmares as to how fragile the US infrastructure is, this is the book. 

Getting ready to start the next book in the series, One Year After. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

I read One Second After a few months back, I enjoyed it. One Year After is in my queue.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pinetree

Reading an oldie but a goodie, The Complete Hammer's Slammers.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

mirth

Just finished Empires of the Sea by Roger Crowley. Now starting City of Fortune.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

WallysWorld

I'm about 120 pages into Robert K. Massie's Peter the Great: His Life and World. So far, it's very good.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: WallysWorld on July 10, 2016, 03:08:24 PM
I'm about 120 pages into Robert K. Massie's Peter the Great: His Life and World. So far, it's very good.

One of my favorite books of all time. I read it when I was living in Russia and then again later, and some of Massie's notes on how things haven't really changed all that much from the 1600's are spot on and hilarious.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on July 10, 2016, 01:31:39 PM
Just finished Empires of the Sea by Roger Crowley. Now starting City of Fortune.

Empires of the Sea is by far my favorite Crowley book. Really enjoyed 1453 as well.