Space Engineers Revisited

Started by Jarhead0331, April 25, 2014, 08:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I have posted about this early access game a few times in the past, most recently posting some screenshots of a new hull I've laid down.  I wanted to raise some more awareness about the game though, because it is really getting advanced and the developers have a vision that is turning this into a spectacular game.  With workshop support, some of the creations built by players boggle the mind. In this game, the designs of your starships are limited only by your imagination. Each week, the developer releases new updates with some amazing new tools, materials and content, not only for building, but for interacting with your creations in the environment.

There are survival modes and the ability for combat, but I have not even touched any of this.  The game is simply a builder's delight and I've had tremendous fun just building things, or loading the creations of others to see just what the engine is capable of.  Very impressive stuff.

Here are some examples:

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Shelldrake

Amazing work! Thanks for sharing JH.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Jarhead0331

^No problem...these are really just the tip of the iceberg. You could spend hours just browsing through the workshop.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MikeGER

I bought it just the other day  :) ...after i had seen a YT-vid (series) by two Brits? struggling/working together in survival mode ...to escape from a stranded/crashed smaller ship somehow ...they salvaged sub-parts of the wrack (an object-block has a substructure and if you need a 'displays' or 'motor' you can gain them from dismanteling a total different block item that has them too)

Yesterday SE developers added wheels (for buggies) , the ship-internal 'items-transporting system' - build with special blocks and tubes - seems to work now also, and there are automated turrets and a new decoy-object as a target to get them fiering in  your own created test bed environment  8) 

MikeGER

PS:
If i get the concept of MP right - with host-migration? it should be easy to have a persistent Grogheads Universe (with 8, 16?, 32? astronauts) running. 
so don't forget to put enuf uranium in the reactors, turn off the not needed energy consumers and put a fair share of ammo in your auto turrets storrages  ...before you close shop for the night ;-) 

even if there is a timeperiod were no one plays in a 24h window, if the last active lonesome player just is so kind to but his last autosave in a (pw protected)spot where the SE-player who is looking for the Groghead-server and don't find it active atm ...can grab that last autosave and fire up hosting the game with the latest autosave.
additional players later will find it in their server browser and can just join ... all do autosaves, and the last active player on the server just stores his  auto-save after disconnecting in the GH 'public' spot.   

skeptical.platypus

Can you fly around the universe in the ship you've built?
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

panzerde

Looking pretty good, thanks for posting these JH. Might be time to play around with this...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

skeptical.platypus

Yes, thank you very much for posting. This is a very intriguing title, made only more so now.

Have you built your hulls as a single player?

v Even better!
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 25, 2014, 05:22:05 PM
Yes, thank you very much for posting. This is a very intriguing title, made only more so now.

Have you built your hulls as a single player?

Yeah. I only play single player. I haven't tried mp.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2014, 04:25:37 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 25, 2014, 03:49:31 PM

Yep.

Should be awesome once they get some gameplay filled out for it.  They are adding a good bit of gameplay, right?

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Nefaro on April 25, 2014, 11:00:22 PM

Yep.

Should be awesome once they get some gameplay filled out for it.  They are adding a good bit of gameplay, right?

Wait a minute. You want to be able to build your own starship, fly it around the galaxy, and you want there to be stuff in the galaxy, too?!?

You, sir, have standards.

Nefaro

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 25, 2014, 11:10:12 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 25, 2014, 11:00:22 PM

Yep.

Wait a minute. You want to be able to build your own starship, fly it around the galaxy, and you want there to be stuff in the galaxy, too?!?

You, sir, have standards.

Why not build weapons and then blow shit up with them?  ;D

MikeGER

Quote from: Nefaro on April 26, 2014, 07:50:01 AM
Why not build weapons and then blow shit up with them?  ;D

...when you set up the survival mode, there is an option for random ships that pass by (some kilometers out of sight ) i don't know if they engage at a certain range, or engage if fired upon, or don't engage at all.
Also random meteor showers that may hit and damage the ship happend to me (i think they can be shot down by turrets?)   

Would be cool to have a small 'repair-bot' that crawls around and do hull repairs on blocks that are not totally destroyed, or even rebuild what was there before the impact,
If the bot can fetch enuf needed parts from a 'dedicated to the bot'- storage container
(the repair bot would be hooked-build as a block to a container door, and when damage appears and the function is switched on, it separates from the storage container and does its stuff) 

I love the physics in the game!
Today i started the red ship survival mission,  i had to disassemble a reactor for some parts, the personal inventory was full (i had chosen the tenfold options, btw)  so i dropped about 300something 'reactor components' on the floor ....the gravity was switched on, and the items seems to were so heavy, they broke right through  the floor of light-armored blocks ...and fell out of the ship... and the partly dismantled reactor (a few percent left for reconstruction) was gone to through the hole... go figure :o     

Philippe

I'm curious to know whether or not you need a joystick to play this game.  I only ask because my joystick, throttle, and rudder pedals were lost in a move, and it may be some time before I get around to replacing them (I'll need to get a new computer first because I'm nursing a geriatric rig that runs on Windows XP).

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.