Chivarly Medieval Warfare - October 16th

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 06, 2012, 05:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Looks like War of the Roses already has competition...from the videos on this site, seems pretty intense.  Just wish both of these games would have more of a single player mode since these seem mostly focused on muti-player.....still might have to pick it up just to slack and hash things:)

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/

also link to a bunch of videos.

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2158

Tpek

It seems like a retail version of the old Age of Chivalry mod for Half Life 2.

I've pre-ordered it through Gamersgate, and while they list the download size and say I have an unused serial,
I can't seem to either download it or get a serial to pre-load via Steam. :P

mikeck

Yeah, I think I'm the only guy in the world that hates multiplayer. Miss out on a lot of stuff but with little kids, I have to pause games so much....plus I hate people so there's that....
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on October 06, 2012, 05:59:29 PM
Yeah, I think I'm the only guy in the world that hates multiplayer. Miss out on a lot of stuff but with little kids, I have to pause games so much....plus I hate people so there's that....

Your not alone, I am not a big fan of it either.....I love the Medieval period, so I'll likely get sucked into it just to see what it is like:)

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm with you.  I much prefer single player, story driven games.  I will play sims online as the investment required to learn them means that you usually have a group that tends to be a little more mature than the FPS crowd, but it's not always the case.  Then you also have to deal with finding a server that runs with the rule sets you like, that's populated when you wish to play, and that has a decent ping rate. 

Jarhead0331

Another single player fan here.  At least Chivalry does have a single player component, whereas War of the Roses does not.  I'll probably get it, but $50 was too much for me to buy into the pre-release beta.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2012, 07:06:38 PM
Another single player fan here.  At least Chivalry does have a single player component, whereas War of the Roses does not.  I'll probably get it, but $50 was too much for me to buy into the pre-release beta.

I believe the released version of WOR also has a single mode used for just training type stuff, which seems to be roughly the same as what CMW has as well.  However, from videos anyway, CMW seems to have more interesting gameplay and animations.....for only $24, I am sure it will end up in my arsenal:)

Tpek

Another one who prefers SP, or at least playing MP with people I choose beforehand.

Toonces

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2012, 07:06:38 PM

+1.

I'm really looking forward to this one.  I hope somebody posts impressions if they are trying out the beta...I want to hear it's as awesome as it looks.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

If anyone interested trying to get a free beta key, here is a link.  You have to register with the site, but after that you can get a free key.

http://www.curse.com/betas/chivalry-medieval-warfare

Silent Disapproval Robot

Thanks.  I missed out on the WOR beta so I'd like to give this a whirl. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

I can't get out of the tutorial.  The USE key doesn't respond. I remapped it to numpad ENTER and found it wouldn't work so I reset to defaults but its still buggered.

Grim.Reaper

I am realizing I just suck at fps games, especially these ones that medieval.  I tried war of the roses and now this and I can't master the controls whatsoever.  I go into mp mode and I am just a kill stat for everyone else.  They hack and slash me to death in seconds.  It's a shame since I love the time period, I just stink!!!!!!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I messed around with the beta and it seems like it'd be fun but they haven't fixed the numpad key binding issue so I'll hold off until they do. 

Here's a video comparing Chivalry with War of the Roses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Q7FETIxZw

And here's a Giant Bomb 20 minute Quick Look at Chivalry.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-chivalry-medieval-warfare/17-6700/

PanzersEast

I purchased Chivalry and here are a couple of my quick observations (Long time M & B player).

Jumping - serisouly needs to be taken out.  A knight in full armor jumping around really takes away from the game and removes the "strategy".

First Person View - my favorite view, however it is flawed.  The up close and personal view and the brutality witnessed of the game makes it very fun, however your fov is at a disadvantage from those who use 3rd person view and I finally had to go to third person which when I did, I did a lot better in combat.

Fight Strategy - This can be done from those who want to square off 1 on 1, however you get backstabbed or face off 1 vs 2..3.. a lot, especially on larger servers so it just goes out the window.  There are many who just swing wildly and you tend to start doing the same.  Team work is hit on miss, depending on server.  This can be a plus or minus....

Brutality - The game is very brutal and gives you the feel of medieval combat.  The sounds are great and the combat can be real intense.  Seeing guys dismembered, arrows to the throat.....

Gameplay Options - Maps - Gameplay options are pretty good.  I mainly played the team objectives servers and they were a lot of fun.  I know it is hit or miss on these, but at least they keep guys pushing for an objective and it seems to really help.  We really need more maps and I know we will get more, but there needs to be more as they started to get the "this one again" feeling.

Balance - The balance seems to be pretty good.  I did not play the archer, but did play the others.  I did not see anything overpowering on the battle field. Most guys died as much or more than they killed.

Customization - As far as units go, you can select from a good array of weapons, however you cannot customize your armor (looks etc..).  The leveling system is "ok" to unlock other weapons, but not my favorite. I want more weapon choices, FLAIL anyone ;-)

I have had fun, but the jumping, first person flaw disappoints me... but overall it is an "ok" purchase.

PE