New WWII Game from Makers of Wargame Series!

Started by Jarhead0331, March 01, 2017, 09:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^I think that tool is from Paradox. I recall seeing him in some of their other live streams and videos, including Stellaris and/or HOI IV, perhaps.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

W8taminute

just stumbled on this thread.  oh dear...add another game to my wishlist.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Destraex

My thoughts... my web has been down and is very slow so forgive me if I miss some things. Stream is on and off and I cannot complete it.

Looks like logistics cards are gone

AT guns seem to have transport... cards only show transport as a symbol rather than a vehicle with its own stats now...

unit cards seem to be simplified [​IMG]:(... hope their is a more detailed view. They may have done this just for infantry. Also the British airborne seem to have german PAK guns in their deck. They must have found it too hard to balance!
EDIT: Wai

LOVE the new FOV indicator... has ranges and blind spots on it!

Not sure I like how the front line basically shows you there is something coming!!!

On map mortar teams !! nice

Stress bars instead of health bars is good. Units die if they are penetrated, no health bars. LIKE! Also they have made it so tanks and such still get stressed even if the calibre of fire will not penetrate. So morale will be important in the extreme. LIKE!

Trucks seem to disappear once men get out? If my net would freaken work I would check this!

It has a kind of bullet time. Which is nice but assume this is a single player only feature.

Men seem very sparse on the ground as this game features an accidental meeting engagement style of gameplay rather than a typically planned attack where force may be overwhelming for one side.

Trajectories on the mortars look a bit strange. They are almost LOS with a slight curve rather than a high curve at close range.

Have not seem any infantry take cover in anything but buildings yet. They seem to stand their in the open, no crouching or prone?
Infantry seem to have sandbags added to their symbols when they are considered dug in, but I have seen no actual fox holes yet.. or men laying prone in cover defensively.

Destraex

sandman2575

Not sure there's another game I'm as excited to see come out in 2017 than this one. This has the potential to be truly fantastic.

HoodedHorseJoe

I played the beta too (although not as much as I would have liked) so just wanted to make a few observations since some of your comments are slightly incorrect from what I've seen:

Quote from: Destraex on March 23, 2017, 03:55:31 AM
My thoughts... my web has been down and is very slow so forgive me if I miss some things. Stream is on and off and I cannot complete it.

Looks like logistics cards are gone
- Every Division as at least one supply vehicle that I've seen, so they do exist and act like they do in Wargame. There's just no FOB nor are there air supply units.

AT guns seem to have transport... cards only show transport as a symbol rather than a vehicle with its own stats now...
- All non-tank units spawn onto the map in some kind of transport. The lower-level units use basic trucks which have stats, just are fairly fragile.

unit cards seem to be simplified [​IMG]:(... hope their is a more detailed view. They may have done this just for infantry. Also the British airborne seem to have german PAK guns in their deck. They must have found it too hard to balance!
EDIT: Wai

LOVE the new FOV indicator... has ranges and blind spots on it!

Not sure I like how the front line basically shows you there is something coming!!!

On map mortar teams !! nice

Stress bars instead of health bars is good. Units die if they are penetrated, no health bars. LIKE! Also they have made it so tanks and such still get stressed even if the calibre of fire will not penetrate. So morale will be important in the extreme. LIKE!

Trucks seem to disappear once men get out? If my net would freaken work I would check this!
- the basic trucks disappear when you tell it to deploy the troops/guns. More advanced APC like units and towers stick around, but these don't usually appear until Phases B & C. Unit cards show what a unit is being transported by, so you can learn what will have a permanent vehicle and what won't. Last Phase Infantry and Gun emplacements typically have a carrier that they can get back in though and move up quicker.

It has a kind of bullet time. Which is nice but assume this is a single player only feature.

Men seem very sparse on the ground as this game features an accidental meeting engagement style of gameplay rather than a typically planned attack where force may be overwhelming for one side.

Trajectories on the mortars look a bit strange. They are almost LOS with a slight curve rather than a high curve at close range.

Have not seem any infantry take cover in anything but buildings yet. They seem to stand their in the open, no crouching or prone?
- From what I've seen, there are Yellow & Green levels of cover (as well as no cover). Choosing cover spots is a bit too subtle and finicky, but if your unit is on a point that is yellow or green, it does get a defensive bonus. Not sure if animations are in yet or not for it.

Infantry seem to have sandbags added to their symbols when they are considered dug in, but I have seen no actual fox holes yet.. or men laying prone in cover defensively.

I enjoyed what I played though. Weird how it seemed so familiar, yet so different... wish I spent more time with it. I think it still has some typical wargame problems but I'm not concerned so far.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

acctingman

Pardon my ignorance here....

But how is this game any different from the Men of War series?

Watched the youtube video and it looks pretty slick, but it really reminds me of MoW

undercovergeek

i would have said youre one more strategic layer up from MoW - therell be no 'arm this man with an mg42', 'get out and fix that tank' youre in charge of a good 35-50 seperate units when youre in the thick of it and the scale is much larger

acctingman

Thanks  :notworthy:

Any word on modding the game? - limited mod support from what I read  :-[

undercovergeek

The previous games have allowed stat changes only, more armour etc

In terms of skins and units - no

Because someone will make what this game was made for - a 40k mod

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 23, 2017, 03:00:24 PM
Because someone will make what this game was made for - a 40k mod

GW has been casting their Warhammery IPs to the electronic winds in recent years. Eugen Systems publisher, Focus Interactive, has converted at least one WH system with reasonable faithfulness and success so far (Blood Bowl).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Indeed - I think the scale of the game, the air battle and the ground battle lends itself perfectly to the 40k scene

fabius

Really glad that the kept 'Bullet Time'

Like the look of front lines and am looking forward to this despite not liking that they may have taken a step back from dynamic campaigns