New WWII Game from Makers of Wargame Series!

Started by Jarhead0331, March 01, 2017, 09:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on March 01, 2017, 09:16:59 PM
"Realistic wargame"

Well, agree that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. "Realistic" compared to Combat Missionx2 or Graviteam Tactics? Apparently not. But one hopes (...I hope...) that it'll feel "more realistic" than, say, Company of Heroes or Men of War (although those are superb "Hollywood WW2" games and tons of fun) which is to say, a little more authentic than your typical click-festy WW2 RTS.

I've been fantasizing about a Eugen Wargame set in WW2 for a while. Hugely excited about this, even if there are bound to be a few howlers, like Tiger IIs in Normandy...

bobarossa

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 01, 2017, 10:01:25 PM

I've been fantasizing about a Eugen Wargame set in WW2 for a while. Hugely excited about this, even if there are bound to be a few howlers, like Tiger IIs in Normandy...
Found this at Wikipedia " It was first used in combat with 503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion during the Allied Invasion of Normandy on 11 July 1944;[11]"  I know, it's Wikipedia but it has a reference! 

sandman2575

Interesting. I would've guessed that the Koenigstiger wasn't deployed in numbers on the Western Front til the Bulge. -?

AchillesLastStand

Was just going to post this, the wargame engine is perfectly suited for WW2 action. Can...not ........wait.

Destraex

Been lobbying eugen for a fair while for a wargame red dragon set in ww2 but with better infantry mechanics. Fingers crossed.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Surtur

Hope it is a tad slower than the Wargame systems, but I am very interested :)
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

undercovergeek

http://imgur.com/a/cWkkg

ahh yes. Tiger IIs in Normandy.

"Realistic wargame"

I don't see where it says realistic war game, and afaik it's never been marketed as such

It's toy soldiers for grown ups

mirth

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 02, 2017, 05:59:01 AM
http://imgur.com/a/cWkkg

ahh yes. Tiger IIs in Normandy.

"Realistic wargame"

I don't see where it says realistic war game, and afaik it's never been marketed as such

It's toy soldiers for grown ups

Realisitic wargame or not, Tiger IIs did fight in Normandy.

What I'd say is unrealistic is that they appear to be moving :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

sandman2575

Quote from: Destraex on March 02, 2017, 12:09:27 AM
set in ww2 but with better infantry mechanics.

This sure would be nice. (I frankly also wish the same thing about Graviteam Tactics, in terms of improved infantry...)

Greybriar

If it plays as good as it looks, Steel Division: Normandy 44 should be great.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

acctingman

It looks like an improved MoW series, which I'm all in for.

I didn't see any word on if the game will be mod friendly.

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on March 01, 2017, 11:45:23 PM
Was just going to post this, the wargame engine is perfectly suited for WW2 action. Can...not ........wait.

I think Eugen really needs to enhance the infantry combat mechanics to make it immersive, the current implementation where the grunts are running in circle formations almost at the same speed as the vehicles just won't do it in infantry heavy setting like WW2.

JasonPratt

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 01, 2017, 10:37:22 PM
Interesting. I would've guessed that the Koenigstiger wasn't deployed in numbers on the Western Front til the Bulge. -?

Depends on what you mean by "numbers" and "deployed". A good dozen or so happened to be parked and operational near Arnhem during Market-Garden, and they caused a lot of problems. Considering that this area was regarded as a refitting rest and regroup area for soldiers fleeing the Allied push, that suggests there were substantial numbers of them earlier, too.

Whether they were used effectively in substantial numbers before the Bulge (and locally in Market-Garden), I don't know yet.

(Lol at "moving" realism joke, btw!  O0 )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

HoodedHorseJoe

Great article by T.J. here with a few more details on the game: http://www.pcgamer.com/steel-division-normandy-44-is-a-realistic-ww2-rts-coming-this-year/

Nothing "new" new, but the basic concepts already known have been expanded and explained a bit more. I'm looking forward to doing my own interview with them soon.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.