Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe

Started by steve58, October 17, 2016, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Quote from: Rayfer on October 18, 2016, 10:51:20 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on October 18, 2016, 09:44:00 AM
I don't have a problem with the non-stacking of ground units either. What I object to is the way air units engage ground units. Panzer General was released in 1994 and air units in it attacked land units from overhead, not from adjacent hexes. Why can't Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe do the same?

No matter how good the game is otherwise, it seems to have been designed in such an amateurish fashion that I don't have any desire to purchase or play it.

Not sure I understand your concern....you can attack units by air from a distance, you don't have to be adjacent. They will be attacked by anti-air units and interceptors as would be expected.

I think I am confusing this this game with one that has a similar title. :P
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Moreb

Strategic Command came out in a time where there were no current grand strategy games and had a huge following. I believe it still does.  My wish is that someone would develop a Grand Strat game somewhere in complexity between World in Flames and SC/C:EaW. I'm not sure what that would look like, but I know such a game is sorely missing in the genre.

Maybe a touch lower in complexity than the HoI series but turn based.

I wonder, are there any mods that turn HoI4 into a turn based system? Something that restricted planning by predetermined and auto pauses?
When dongles fly? - mirth

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 18, 2016, 03:39:11 PM
One thing I am most curious about is turn processing time....I remember trying some of the old versions and it seemed to take forever for moves to happen.  Although I appreciate it might make the AI smarter, I just don't have patience for long turns:)

Also, how scripted is this series?  Or is the AI totally reactive and different each game?

FarAway Sooner

This one does look like a sweet spot between those two extremes (I'm eager to play it, but 9 months after buying Civil War 2, I still haven't started a game). 

I do miss the ability to customize units any differently than "Infantry / Type 2".  While that makes for a more wide-open "sand box" mode, it bleaches the historical flavor out of a genre that just drips historical flavor.

I don't really understand why games like this don't bother to build out Major Power-specific research trees that tweak the stats differently.  Rename an American Level 3 fighter a "P-47 Thunderbolt" and give it slightly different stats than the German Level 3 "FW-190 Focke Wulfe".  Or even just build the functionality in so that it's easy for modders to do that, and then offer to buy the product from them nine months after the game's release?

That seems like an easy compromise versus the "Generic Tank 5" thing, and makes the research aspect of a game much more interesting.

acctingman

Looking at this game....I'm thinking it's less complex than hoI4, at least to my noobish eyes.

Might give this one a go. I REALLY want to dig HoI4, but I couldn't wrap my pee sized brain around it.  :uglystupid2:

IronX

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 24, 2016, 10:56:43 AM
I don't really understand why games like this don't bother to build out Major Power-specific research trees that tweak the stats differently.  Rename an American Level 3 fighter a "P-47 Thunderbolt" and give it slightly different stats than the German Level 3 "FW-190 Focke Wulfe".

Me either. Surely it would not be too difficult to implement?

I'm happy that at least they didn't "generic-ize" the game's title to something like "War of Command: Men in Combat"!  But yeah, less generic units, if possible, would help give it a more historical focus without making it overly groggy.

sandman2575

Quote from: IronX on October 24, 2016, 01:52:51 PM
"War of Command: Men in Combat"

;D  ...although admittedly, a game I'd probably buy.

One of my gaming pet-peeves, but the lack of imagination that goes into some game titles - especially groggy historical titles - never ceases to amaze me.  "Strategic War in Europe". "Order of Battle". "Theater of War". "Unity of Command". Etc. etc.

IronX

Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine too. I can only guess that generic titles and unit names are either due to laziness or an attempt to appeal to an audience with little knowledge of history. Having said that, I am looking forward to seeing how this game turns out.

GJK

Just throwing this out there, but what's wrong with some of the grand strategy scenarios that you can get with TOAWIII?  The graphics issue I think is mostly resolved with the latest updates; maybe not breathtaking but you can now zoom in and the graphics look much less "digitized".  The OOB's/TOE's for many of those are quite surprisingly researched, detailed and complete. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

I think learning to play TOAW is the problem.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Much less of a learning curve than say HOI, IMO.  It's fairly simple to just move and attack in TOAW.  Learning to coordinate the attacks and using assets is where the game really shines but it's not rocket science.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

I should have said playing it well. And I don't disagree about it being any worse than HOI. Different though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

FlickJax

Why are they so bad at drawing maps in the Strategic series.....

jomni

Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 06:09:44 PM
I think learning to play TOAW is the problem.

It's not too hard to learn but the you are pushing thousands of counters in mega scenarios.

There are helps though like player side AI to automate the task.