Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe

Started by steve58, October 17, 2016, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

Curiously intrigued and mildly excited.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2016, 10:03:08 AM

Watched quite a lot of the video AAR of the German invasion of Poland and then France. Saw a lot that I liked, the biggest being the return to hexes over squares. But it appears they have retained the one ship per hex of the old games.  I was hoping they would have added fleets.

Raied

Quote from: Rayfer on October 17, 2016, 10:52:23 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2016, 10:03:08 AM

Watched quite a lot of the video AAR of the German invasion of Poland and then France. Saw a lot that I liked, the biggest being the return to hexes over squares. But it appears they have retained the one ship per hex of the old games.  I was hoping they would have added fleets.

Yes, I am excited and going to get it anyway, but the thing that I dont like about it is there is no any sort of stacking, or at least some units should be mixed (a fleet for example), and since the game is using Corps and armies units it should not retain using specialized companies and battalions (Anti-tank etc)as a separate unit which will occupy a whole hex (maybe a hex length is more than 30 kM), such a system is nice for beer & pretzel game but I guess Strategic Command is more abstracted wargame let say than GG WTIE, yet it should be realistic in a way that let play in a bigger picture with less details.

JudgeDredd

I don't mean to come over all dampening on peoples enthusiasm...ok...I do... ;D

Seriously - 3 questions...

• Why is there no stacking of air/land units...or is there? I couldn't see any in the screenshots. That kind of mechanic was in Panzer General 1!
  • You can't be telling me that a strategic game has an aircraft carrier in it's own hex?
  • What's the price - or is it being kept until launch day like Matrix/Slitherine always do?

Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Kudos for supporting units both as 2D counters and as 3D miniatures  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Rayfer

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 17, 2016, 01:02:21 PM

• Why is there no stacking of air/land units...or is there? I couldn't see any in the screenshots. That kind of mechanic was in Panzer General 1!
  • You can't be telling me that a strategic game has an aircraft carrier in it's own hex?
  • What's the price - or is it being kept until launch day like Matrix/Slitherine always do?

#2.....agreed, makes no sense at all considering the scale of the game.

RyanE

IIRC, you couldn't stack in any of the previous incarnations of SC.  I might be thinking of another game, but I think it was SC.

Grim.Reaper

$79 is always my default guess:)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: RyanE on October 17, 2016, 03:01:57 PM
IIRC, you couldn't stack in any of the previous incarnations of SC.  I might be thinking of another game, but I think it was SC.
I don't know - new to the series - but I wasn't really suggesting that it's a feature that's been removed - simply questioning why it's a feature that's not IN given this is 2016 and Panzer General (which had shared spaces between air and land units) was back in 1994  :)
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 17, 2016, 04:31:52 PM

$79 is always my default guess:)

Smart.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GibbyG

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 17, 2016, 04:59:06 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 17, 2016, 03:01:57 PM
I don't know - new to the series - but I wasn't really suggesting that it's a feature that's been removed - simply questioning why it's a feature that's not IN given this is 2016 and Panzer General (which had shared spaces between air and land units) was back in 1994  :)

It isn't that they can't do it; their design decision is that they don't want to have stacking

RyanE

It was explained as being too complicated.  Its their game and design decision, but that is not the reason I would have used.  Considering numerous games have had stacking since the 1990's at least.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

smittyohio

Aren't air units handled differently than ground units in SC?  I don't think they have to be adjacement to attack or defend, do they?