Main Menu

Afghanistan '11

Started by jomni, September 27, 2016, 06:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinetree

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 11, 2017, 10:30:56 PM
One set of which involves African wars in the late 19th century. (Zulus, Boers, etc.)

Considering the Dev is South African, that makes sense.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

MikeGER

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 11, 2017, 10:30:56 PM
One set of which involves African wars in the late 19th century. (Zulus, Boers, etc.)

ok COIN operation  ....but winning hearts & minds in the 19th century?
i thought as a upright 19th century commander you just befriend one most loyal tribe and help them to let them purge all their centuries old tribal-conflicts rivaling ethnicities with the promise to let him and his people participate later as a marionette-leader (tribal king) 
and when the 'genocide' is done, the never mend to hold 'promise' is of course broken and the natural master race (a common sociological understanding at that times) takes over and the tribe who has helped can provide the workforce and servants if they still keep a enuf loyal stance... otherwise they about get fast reduced to the needed plantation workforce critical numbers by starvation, diseases and crack-down on local revolts   

jomni

Hearts and Minds preview.  Nice focus on elections.  :bd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbrRp-dw65o

MikeGER

more and more previews by Lets player's popping up over at YT  (with a search)

i looks very promising  O0

the only thing that makes me wonder is that the release-date is still so many weeks in the future.
usually when the marketing machine activities start firing up on all cylinders nowadays its only a week or two before the release.
(secretly i had hoped their was a communication error and release is already 2/23 instead of 3/23 but that seems not to be the case ...sigh, i want to have it NOW  :)))

DennisS

Look up the two part Let's Play by Tortuga..it is by far the best, and really showcases the strategies involved.

I cruised over to the Steam site..and there isn't a release date, just a "coming soon" comment. Any updates on this, as well as pricing?

jomni

Quote from: DennisS on February 18, 2017, 03:42:14 PM
I cruised over to the Steam site..and there isn't a release date, just a "coming soon" comment. Any updates on this, as well as pricing?
At the end of the feature video. 23rd March.  No pricing as usual.

DennisS

I will say, from watching the videos, that they have captured the sound of the GAU-8 Gatling Gun of the A-10 perfectly.

I was stationed at RAF Woodbridge, UK, from 1977 to 1980, in the base weather station. This was at a time when the twin bases of RAF Bentwaters and Woodbridge transitioned from F-4 Phantoms, to SIX squadrons of A-10A's, of 24 planes each. This would be 144 A-10's for the twin bases, which were only about three miles apart. The sky would be filled with planes, when they were coming back, or going to their sorties.

One of the very fun things I did was to go northeast, up around the Wash (still East Anglia), to provide weather support for the gunnery range. Just remarkable. The A-10 was dramatically more effective than any other English or American aircraft that I ever saw, when conducting CAS missions. Just amazing to see the destruction on their gun runs.

PanzerFaust

They published a new video, focused on logistics and infrastructure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-MqwpkzV_Y

Apocalypse 31

Game releases tomorrow.

I'm pumped.

I was part of the Beta and enjoyed the game a lot. It's much tougher than V'65, and the game looks much better in the unity engine.

bbmike

Yeah, I think this is an insta-buy for me.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MikeGER

its out  :D

interesting fact: A11 advertised at Steam for 27.99 Euros ... but i paid 'only' 25.19 Euros when doing the transaction?

Slitherine store advertise A11 with 26.99 Euros (and call that a sales reduction from 29.99 regular street prize)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MC

Quote from: MikeGER on March 23, 2017, 10:22:35 AM
its out  :D

interesting fact: A11 advertised at Steam for 27.99 Euros ... but i paid 'only' 25.19 Euros when doing the transaction?

Slitherine store advertise A11 with 26.99 Euros (and call that a sales reduction from 29.99 regular street prize)

It shows $26.99 for me on both the Matrix and Slitherine sites. Don't buy it on Steam unless you want to pay full price. Buy from Matrix or Slitherine and then get your steam keys from them if interested.

HoodedHorseJoe

AFAIK (being in the same office as them as some benefits), there's supposed to be 10% launch discount on both Steam and Matrix/Slitherine stores.

Not sure what the RRP was supposed to be for the 10% reduction but getting it via them is usually recommended because if something does go wrong, you're more likely to get the money back via them then you are steam if you did accidentally pay full price.

Been playing the game over lunch and I quite liked it. Never played '65 and I like wargames that try something different. My reviewer liked it too so this should be a good'un.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Barthheart

Steam has it for $32.99 CDN and Matrix has it for $38.99 CDN...  ???