Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: trailrunner on February 09, 2018, 06:56:33 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 09, 2018, 10:01:42 AM

There's a serious underlying concern about the ship's main power generation system, as well, which is necessary to keep all of these components running. Before delivering Ford to the Navy, Newport News Shipbuilding reported a failure in a transformer attached to one of the ship's four main turbine generators.

According to the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation, the Navy, not wanting to delay getting the ship any further, approved the use of an existing transformer design it already used for other applications as a substitute. It conducted no testing to determine if this component would work properly with the rest of the carrier's electrical systems.

I know the details of that incident.  That wound up causing a huge problem that will be fixed when the ship is back in port in April.  And that is going to require some major surgery on the ship and will be very expensive to fix.

Great. A brand new 13 billion dollar carrier already in need of major repair  ::)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

a first of class ship with more new tech in one go then ought to have been allowed.  from where I sit Im surprised more isnt fucked up.  its literally the testbed for the next 50+ years of carrier design and that isnt cheap.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 09, 2018, 09:31:35 PM
a first of class ship with more new tech in one go then ought to have been allowed.  from where I sit Im surprised more isnt fucked up.  its literally the testbed for the next 50+ years of carrier design and that isnt cheap.

Your excuse for everything. I'm not buying it.  Our procurement is effed.  We are fielding fewer carriers than ever. Wanna screw around with a technology test bed? Fine. Keep building Nimitzses in the meantime. It's not like we were falling behind with the tech.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

mirth

QuoteHMS Dragon in dry dock - 2018

mirth

mirth

QuoteA portside view of Colossus-class battleship HMS Hercules.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on February 11, 2018, 10:16:48 PM

Not a safe ship to be near if your plane's wings were sporting Hinomarus.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

QuoteUSS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) at Pearl Harbor, November 30th 1967.

mirth

mirth

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on February 09, 2018, 09:36:20 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 09, 2018, 09:31:35 PM

Your excuse for everything. I'm not buying it.  Our procurement is effed.  We are fielding fewer carriers than ever. Wanna screw around with a technology test bed? Fine. Keep building Nimitzses in the meantime. It's not like we were falling behind with the tech.

QuoteWhen it began the program to develop a new carrier more than a decade ago, the Navy relied heavily on a concept called "concurrency," whereby it would hire contractors to begin work immediately on production without having a final design fleshed out or its components tested.

This seems to be the biggest issue.  You can do this with smaller systems, land vehicles, some aircraft, but trying this with a $13B ship is just beyond stupid.

As Mirth stated, stick with some new Nimitz carriers until these new systems are ready. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

QuoteHMS Queen Elizabeth with the Rock of Gibraltar in the background

bob48

..waiting to land on its complement of Fairy Swordfish and Gloucester Gladiators, no doubt.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on February 14, 2018, 01:19:12 PM
..waiting to land on its complement of Fairy Swordfish and Gloucester Gladiators, no doubt.

:2funny: