What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Salem's Lot is a really good one.

Sir Slash

And just in time to make the studio re-make list is..... Ben Hur. Due next month I believe. Soon to be followed by a trans-gender version, Been Her-But A Him Now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Finished One Year After.  Good short read.  Now waiting for January for the next book in the series, The Final Day.

Did start Pillar in the Sky.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

I'm only 30% through the Honor Harrington book, On Basilisk Station. It's a great read. I wish I had more time to get through it.

Gusington

OJ was One Year as good as the first book in the series?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 20, 2016, 06:32:23 AM
I'm only 30% through the Honor Harrington book, On Basilisk Station. It's a great read. I wish I had more time to get through it.

That is a great book. I need to read more in the series.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2016, 09:00:22 AM
OJ was One Year as good as the first book in the series?

Yes, I think it is.  It starts one year after the end of One Second After.  The period covered is only 45 days.  We find the Black Mountain is very much on it's own still.  In fact, most of the country still seems to be very much on it's own.  I don't want to give any more away, but would encourage you to give it a read. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

King of Kings was superb. Got the third book in the series on its way, Lion of the Sun.

In the meantime I am about to start Shadows in the Desert - Ancient Persia at War by Dr. Kaveh Farrokh.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I finished reading The Shining this afternoon and watched Kubrick's movie of the same name this evening.

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 19, 2016, 05:38:27 AM
Much better than the Kubrick film -- it has its moments as its own film, but they changed way too much to make Jack an obvious bad threat instead of a good father with some serious problems.

I agree. The movie didn't hold a candle to the book; I've watched B movies from the 50s that were better than it.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

Watch the movie on its own.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2016, 11:04:30 AM
Watch the movie on its own.

Sorry, Gus. I just don't believe the movie is as good as many other horror flcks I've watched in the past. Or are the newer horror movies not meant to scare the bejesus out of you like the ones in the old days?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

Are you watching the Shining from 1980 or some lame TV movie version? Kubrick's, while absolutely different from the book, is widely cited as one of the most frightening movies of all time. There are still scenes in it, at 42 years old, that are almost impossible for me to watch...like the Old Woman in the Bathtub Scene(tm).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Kubrick's. It rated a 61 Metascore from Metacritic, so apparently some reviewers were about as impressed with it as I was.

JasonPratt

I'm generally unimpressed with Kubrick's pretensiousness anyway. (Unimpressed enough to not even double-check how to spell that word!  ::) :P )

No doubt he had talent. Artistically daring? Sure. But the Shining is the only film of his I've ever watched all the way through more than once (yes, including 2001), and that's maybe only 3 times. After each time of which I'd say to myself, "Man I'll never waste my time watching this thing again, ugh!" Eventually, 20 years ago or so, that stuck.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!