Main Menu

Coup in Turkey?

Started by SirAndrewD, July 15, 2016, 03:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2016, 08:44:33 PM
Why can't it be a fake coup?

there is always a lot of bloodshed and you must find people to willingly sacrifice themself as the OPFOR leaders
also the people loving you as the great hero will not be happy when they find out one day.
(and in these days of digital copies of each and everything, everybody has a vidcam always in his pocket as a smartphone and can upload whatever to social media storage anytime and you just cant get those documents deleted, plus also all the intercepted SIGINT by foreign services, who are happy to leak part of their evidence when its fitting to their nations global chessplay of power)   

IMHO Erdogan learned about it before, took secret preparations, even forced them to jumpstart (thats why the attempt looked so crude executed) , and then contained it... and so had a 'real' situation, the bloodshed is blamed on the putchist.
And its much harder to prove that he knew its cumming and how precise he knews it. 

Boggit

Quote from: MikeGER on July 21, 2016, 02:31:00 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2016, 08:44:33 PM
Why can't it be a fake coup?

there is always a lot of bloodshed and you must find people to willingly sacrifice themself as the OPFOR leaders
also the people loving you as the great hero will not be happy when they find out one day.
(and in these days of digital copies of each and everything, everybody has a vidcam always in his pocket as a smartphone and can upload whatever to social media storage anytime and you just cant get those documents deleted, plus also all the intercepted SIGINT by foreign services, who are happy to leak part of their evidence when its fitting to their nations global chessplay of power)   

IMHO Erdogan learned about it before, took secret preparations, even forced them to jumpstart (thats why the attempt looked so crude executed) , and then contained it... and so had a 'real' situation, the bloodshed is blamed on the putchist.
And its much harder to prove that he knew its cumming and how precise he knews it.
If you're right then the aftermath suits Erdogan very well. His Kristallnacht moment to solidify his position?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

panzerde

Quote from: Boggit on July 22, 2016, 03:51:21 PM

If you're right then the aftermath suits Erdogan very well. His Kristallnacht moment to solidify his position?

I was initially skeptical that this was anything more than a poorly executed coup attempt, but I'm becoming persuaded that this was Erdogan's Reichstag Fire. Whether he planned it or learned about it beforehand and is ruthlessly exploiting it I don't know, but I do know this isn't going to be good for Turkey or the region.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

Quote from: panzerde on July 22, 2016, 08:07:16 PM
Quote from: Boggit on July 22, 2016, 03:51:21 PM

I was initially skeptical that this was anything more than a poorly executed coup attempt, but I'm becoming persuaded that this was Erdogan's Reichstag Fire. Whether he planned it or learned about it beforehand and is ruthlessly exploiting it I don't know, but I do know this isn't going to be good for Turkey or the region.

Watch out for him claiming that Iraqi and Syrian Kurds are attacking Turkey, as an excuse to invade & occupy some parts of Syria and/or Iraq. 

The NATO leadership would be frozen, falling over themselves attempting to keep Erdogan appeased but doing little except whine about it.  Per usual.  Erdogan's regime very likely knows this would be the case, too, which makes it dangerously tempting.  Look at Russia's recent annexations as proof it would work - and they weren't even allied with other NATO countries.  A little sliver here, a little sliver there.

Gusington

Initially a small land grab may work better for Turkey than it did for Russia because of the geopolitical complexity of it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Unfortunately, the land they grab already has people on it.  And I am afraid the new masters will not show forbearance to the old inhabitants.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Boggit

Like they did in northern Cyprus. Which incidentally has remained an occupied territory since 1974. Many Cypriots have lost property stolen by the colonist Turks there. :knuppel2:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

steve58

Erdogan's power grabs continues...he's shutting down at least 130 media outlets.   Sounds like a "democracy" to me...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Boggit

panzerde

Turkey apparently wants to go down the same road as Venezuela under Chavez.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Sir Slash

He's trying to get ahead of Obama who was planning to run for his job after January.  ;)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Good article... it will be interesting to see what happens... I expect that Erdogan will get what he wants and Turkey becomes a Presidential Republic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on April 16, 2017, 08:20:49 AM
Good article... it will be interesting to see what happens... I expect that Erdogan will get what he wants and become President.

I expect he'll eventually get his Islamist dictatorship one way or another, even if the vote somehow miraculously comes out against his power play.

Sir Slash

Erdoganstan on the way.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.