The sound of FRIDAY

Started by undercovergeek, July 15, 2016, 04:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2016, 10:38:21 AM
The Wife is adamant not to pay an exorbitant weekend rate for the repair guy. We wait until tomorrow. 90 degrees today. 95 tomorrow. Wife says that she heard it rattle before it stopped cooling the air and the unit was 12 years old so I think it's dead.

Is this a wall or window unit, or Central Air? In either case there are some good on-line troubleshooting guides.

Central:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/heating-cooling/air-conditioner-repair/diy-air-conditioner-repair/view-all
http://www.app.com/story/sponsor-story/ajperri/2015/06/24/sponsor-fix-common-air-conditioner-problems/29221445/  (Check the part about cleaning the condenser if your unit runs but doesn't cool)

Window unit:
http://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/window-air-conditioner-not-cold.html

There's a butt-load more out there.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

^Thanks Wing! It's a central a/c unit. It's 12 years old, two years past it's warranty expiration  :buck2: It's a Goodman, a company I have learned gets poor ratings from Consumer Reports but for some reason HVAC guys around here like using them...maybe I just answered my own question.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

If the fan in the outdoor unit does not turn then the motor is probably shot and you'll need to get a new unit as the price difference compared to replacements is not that great.
If the fan is spinning but you're not getting any cooling then it's either the compressor is shot or you're low on refrigerant. Again if the compressor is dead then you'll be getting a whole new unt. If it's just a low charge then it's pretty easy and chap fix.

Some self diagnostics like Stagger pointed out could save you repair visit for nothing charges if you just need a new unit.

Becareful though if you're not a last a little bit handy. There's some high violate in there and the spinning fan will take a finger with it if it comes on at the wrong time.

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2016, 03:53:07 PM
^Thanks Wing! It's a central a/c unit. It's 12 years old, two years past it's warranty expiration  :buck2: It's a Goodman, a company I have learned gets poor ratings from Consumer Reports but for some reason HVAC guys around here like using them...maybe I just answered my own question.

Had to spend thousands on new central a/c last year, after the 15 year old unit finally gave out. 

That was painful.  Fortunately got pretty high discount, due to knowing people, but it was still pretty painful.  I don't envy you.

Gusington

Sitting in my study now. We are about 3/4 mile from the Hudson so there is a bit of a breeze. The temp in here is about 82. Need me some gaming time though so I'll just disrobe and sit in some ice water while I do it. Kickin' it old school.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

I would have already caved an bought a cheap window unit.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

You could white trash it up.

Gusington

Heh 'swamp cooler'. Well my unofficial diagnosis is that it is the compressor because coolant was already added to this unit about 3 weeks ago. Unless there is some kind of coolant leak.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

95 In N.Y. Gus? Damn, that's what it is here in Fla. Are you SURE you're in the right place? How much did you have to drink this weekend? And what was it? AC's always seem to go out when you need them most--- usually because that's when we're using them the most.  ;D Still it's a pain in the butt to deal with. I try to tell my wife to let ours have some down-time to rest a little in summer time but she keeps in cranked-up high. Kind of like a wind tunnel in my house sometimes.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

It's been a very hot summer. Mid to high 90s this weekend too - hopefully the problem will be solved by then.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 15, 2016, 06:58:41 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 15, 2016, 06:42:28 AM
South Carolina job stuff

If I may ask, where to?  And when you say mountains, you talking the Greenville area or WNC?  I'm in Asheville myself.

I'm going to Columbia to work.  My place in the mountains is NE of Asheville -- it's in Bakersville (the county seat of Mitchel county).

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on July 18, 2016, 03:04:23 PM
It's been a very hot summer. Mid to high 90s this weekend too - hopefully the problem will be solved by then.

Git yer new A/C fixed yet Gus? What was the problem?

Gusington

Compressor seems to be fine and no evidence of a leak and it's working ok today...But I still think it's on its way out. It was 100 degrees today too. On top of that my allergies popped up and I got some sunburn...other things to think about besides the a/c dying :/

Ah summer...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 18, 2016, 10:04:35 AM
95 In N.Y. Gus? Damn, that's what it is here in Fla. Are you SURE you're in the right place? How much did you have to drink this weekend? And what was it? AC's always seem to go out when you need them most--- usually because that's when we're using them the most.  ;D Still it's a pain in the butt to deal with. I try to tell my wife to let ours have some down-time to rest a little in summer time but she keeps in cranked-up high. Kind of like a wind tunnel in my house sometimes.
Surely iced Mint Juleps on the verandah is the way to go?  :coolsmiley:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat