WWI Coincidence?

Started by Con, June 22, 2016, 10:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

I have been interested in WWI for a long time and have been doing some extensive work on my Great Grandfather and his son who fought in WWI on the German side.  So today just browsing through Yahoo I see the following link on WW1 color pictures.  http://historicaltimes.com/fascinating-never-before-seen-color-photos-from-world-war-i

Being interested I click on it.  Halfway through I come across this picture.

The caption is "Kurhessisches Reserve Infanterie Regt. Nr. 83/25th.Reserve Div. at Ravin du Helly (Minze-Schlucht), Douamont, Verdun. October 1916."

My Great Grandfathers regiment is Reserve Infantry Regt 83 from Hessen Arolsen attached to the 25th Reserve Division.  He was wounded in the first Battle of Verdun which was at the tail end of the race to the sea.  He returned to the regiment in 1916 which at that time was part of the 4th army under von Fabeck.  Here is a picture of him right before he returned to the regiment after convalescence leave.

Am I crazy when I think the soldier in the background holding the Gewher 98 Mauser could be him?

Con

spieler6

I'd say the eyes have it.

Boggit

It's hard to say. The guy with the rifle in the group photo seems to have darker, more pronounced eyebrows, and the eyes don't look right to me. Then again people can look different when suffering extreme fatigue.

But the guy at the back with the head bandage seems to me much more similar in appearance to the formal photo. I think it could be him... maybe. My $0.02.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

ArizonaTank

I agree, there is a strong resemblance.

I have a similar tale about WWI. 

By coincidence I found my grandfather, with his WWI unit, in an old photo for sale on ebay.

My grandfather was conscripted into the US Army in March of 1918.  He went to the Signal Corps school at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas.  His unit was the 622nd Field Signal Battalion.  The unit had just been formed, and was sent to Camp Cody in Deming, New Mexico in September, so it could be part of the 97th Division that was forming there. 

On the way to Camp Cody, the unit stayed at the Santa Fe Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and had their picture taken.  With the war ending just a handful of weeks later, the unit quickly demobilized, and never went overseas. The worst thing they had to deal with was the influenza outbreak at Camp Cody in October. 

So the unit was very small, and existed for a very short time.  But somehow, that picture from Albuquerque survived.

By pure chance, I came across the picture in a listing in ebay, and my grandfather is clearly visible.  I was somewhat heartbroken however, when I found out the picture had already been sold. Undaunted, I contacted the buyer through the seller, and he kindly just gave the picture to me, saying it belonged in my family.  I made a donation in his name to the US WWI Museum in Kansas City. 

Here is the Albuquerque pic

Here is my grandfather.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

CptHowdy

very cool stuff! thanks for sharing guys. i know my dad and uncles were in vietnam and my wifes stepdad was in vietnam but i know nothing about their fathers and grandfathers. wish i did!

ArizonaTank

Sorry double post
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Con

I dug out the last few photographs I have

This is the company he was in during land maneuvers in 1910 in part of the 83rd Reserve Infantry Regiment

Here he is convalescing after his first wound in the original battle for the race to the sea (it was the start of the first battle of the Marne).  Based on the regimental history I have been able to research it was during the fight for the Saluz and Barbarant le Roi in Belgium (famous or infamous for the war crimes committed by the Germans in this area - but there is a lot of propaganda involved in these accounts from the allies as well).  It was also a very bloody battle with the Germans eventually being forced to retreat and thus ending any hopes of the von Schliefen plan working.

I was told he is the one with the wounded arm in the sling in the center