Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I don't remember that part but it sounds great. I liked 'Rover', the giant white Ball/Balloon Monster or machine or whatever it was. Why does talking about old British TV shows always sound like I've had too much to drink?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

He wasn't duking it out with the baddie; he and the most recent #2 (and some rebel minions) were dancing in glee for having escaped the Village.

Sort of.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

There's a huge Star Trek comic sale over at Humble Bundle right now. Fifteen bucks will net you dozens upon dozens of graphic novels, looks like.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bbmike

Hmm, mirth should be along with that vomit emoticon any second now...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

WallysWorld

Interesting that the new starship looks like the concept Enterprise from the never-was Star Trek: Phase 2 series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise#Star_Trek:_Phase_II
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

BanzaiCat

There's a Wiki page and a bunch of info out there on the Internet. I just perused the Wiki article quickly and found a few cool tidbits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

QuoteSet 10 years before the events of the original Star Trek series, the series follows the crew of the USS Discovery as they discover new worlds and civilizations, while exploring the franchise's signature contemporary themes. The season-long storyline revolves around "an incident and an event in Star Trek history that's been talked about but never been explored."

JasonPratt

Hm. So it's like Enterprise, except not? Enterprise the way we hope it's done right?  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 16, 2016, 02:36:59 PM
Hm. So it's like Enterprise, except not? Enterprise the way we hope it's done right?  :-\

Er, no. Not if it is set only 10 years before TOS. And try to forget Enterprise ever happened. Try, try to forget.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Enterprise wasn't all that bad. The theme song sucked the devil's low-hanging balls, but otherwise it wasn't bad. IMO anyway.

bbmike

If taken outside of (my own personal) canon, it really isn't that bad. The subplots were totally unnecessary, though, or at least should have been about something else entirely. And I don't care what anyone else says- what they are calling Vulcans in that show are certainly not Vulcans.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 27, 2016, 02:26:35 PM
"The Prisoner" was great until the last episode and then it went the way of "Lost" and got completely and utterly WTF???????

McGoohan wrote that episode in one week, and he was first to admit that he had just failed to come up with a good idea for the end. 

He had several drafts that were much more coherent, but in his opinion they took the entire series to the level of Bond movie, and he could never find a way to make the reveal of number one anything but anti-climactic. 

So, he went pure surreal and allegorical.  He decided the best thing was to not end the series with a coherent final chapter, but instead to distill all of the themes of the previous episodes into the finale. 

I agree, it was very WTF, but I loved how he ended it. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 16, 2016, 03:38:13 PM
Enterprise wasn't all that bad. The theme song sucked the devil's low-hanging balls, but otherwise it wasn't bad. IMO anyway.

Be careful, BC!  Mike takes his Star Trek very seriously.  Don't evoke the ever-waiting "puke" emote!

I don't think Enterprise was bad, either.  That damnable intro music made me want to shut it off at the beginning of every episode, however.  I'm completely serious when I say that.  Too bad I didn't have a big Puke Emote at the time, because that bad commercial-like song needed it.

The following aural horror cheese commercial has the type of song that reminds me of it.  Except the ST:Enterprise song is even worse...

[img]Puke Emote[img]

BanzaiCat

I'm not even gonna click that link, Nef. :)

I want to say it was instrumental and then they went with a dude singing, or maybe it was the other way around. The music itself (withOUT the dude singing) isn't too bad in and of itself, but it's definitely NOT ST material.