Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Pretty much sums up my feelings on MS and Win 10

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3077932/windows/credibility-and-trust-microsoft-blows-it.html

QuoteYou're not learning. Look at the amount of trust and veracity that was dashed against the rocks of Windows 7 users. Their OS actually worked for a change, and THEY DIDN'T WANT TO CHANGE. They wanted to get off the upgrade merry-go-round, wanted stability, and you gave them the total debacle called Windows 8.

You skipped 9, and despite the large warmth (hugely offset by perceived privacy issues), you crammed them with messages. Leave them alone. Stop it. You're behaving badly. Time to send a product manager to China or perhaps to the Xbox returns warehouse
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Boggit

Quote from: mirth on June 06, 2016, 10:19:55 AM
Pretty much sums up my feelings on MS and Win 10

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3077932/windows/credibility-and-trust-microsoft-blows-it.html

QuoteYou’re not learning. Look at the amount of trust and veracity that was dashed against the rocks of Windows 7 users. Their OS actually worked for a change, and THEY DIDN’T WANT TO CHANGE. They wanted to get off the upgrade merry-go-round, wanted stability, and you gave them the total debacle called Windows 8.

You skipped 9, and despite the large warmth (hugely offset by perceived privacy issues), you crammed them with messages. Leave them alone. Stop it. You’re behaving badly. Time to send a product manager to China or perhaps to the Xbox returns warehouse
Good article. I agree with it too. In the main I have been quite happy with Win7 too. Do I trust the motives of MS with Win 10? I'm really not sure about whether going down the Win 10 route is something I'd live to regret later, which is a huge trust issue with Microsoft.

I found this yesterday to get control the GWX icon and downloads... It was recommended by a number of site and it seems to be working fine on my Win 7 PC... You can toggle off the WIn 10 DL icon on or off as you please. Also it says it will prevent any inadvertent downloads.
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Enjoy the collective, Locutus.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

You mean 7 of 10.  :P
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Boggit

Quote from: bbmike on June 12, 2016, 05:40:49 PM
Luddites!
Well maybe. I must admit I was swayed by someone who claimed to be an MS engineer of 15 years on YouTube who was giving his view of it, plus his thoughts behind the business model for "giving" Win 10 away. There's no thing as a free lunch, so he had some credibility...
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

The rub is that you cannot hang on to Win7 forever. After MS stops supporting it you won't be able to spend much time online for fear of never-to-be-repaired security holes and most new apps won't run unless you stay OS-current. The only solution is to either give in to the Big Data Mine, or only use WinXXX to play your latest PC games and then, when more sensitive matters are at hand, either dual boot or switch machines and go with either one of the lesser evils (OSX or Chrome OS) or join the Occupy Internet movement of Linux.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Boggit

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 12, 2016, 07:02:44 PM
The rub is that you cannot hang on to Win7 forever. After MS stops supporting it you won't be able to spend much time online for fear of never-to-be-repaired security holes and most new apps won't run unless you stay OS-current. The only solution is to either give in to the Big Data Mine, or only use WinXXX to play your latest PC games and then, when more sensitive matters are at hand, either dual boot or switch machines and go with either one of the lesser evils (OSX or Chrome OS) or join the Occupy Internet movement of Linux.
It gets ever more complicated... one way to destroy the internet by making things ever more difficult, I suppose... Still like you say I can always move to Linux.

Boggit

M$ in trouble after Win10 update installs itself on Win7 machine, leaving it unstable. Californian woman sues and gets $10,000 as M$ does not contest the suit. A trickle leading to a flood?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640464

WallysWorld

So with ten days to go for the free upgrade, anyone else going to do ahead and do it? My friend upgraded his Windows 7 to 10 and he said he has no issues, but he doesn't use it as a gaming platform like I do.

I am tempted to do the upgrade this week as it appears to be easy to downgrade back to Windows 7 within 30 days of the upgrade. My only concern is that I have a Norton Ghost backup of my HDD before it crashed in February and Ghost doesn't really work with Windows 10. I wanted to hang onto this backup in case I want to retrieve some files before the drive crashed.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mirth

I will not be upgrading. Win 7 will continue to supported with security patches until 2020. I'll switch to Linux by then.

M$ can kiss my hairy ass.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Win update hasn't worked on my Win 7 pc since I removed the Win 10 pimp bot kernel.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 19, 2016, 02:33:58 PM
Win update hasn't worked on my Win 7 pc since I removed the Win 10 pimp bot kernel.

How did you remove it? I used GWX Control Panel. It removed the Win 10 notification crap, but I still get regular updates from MS. I check everything now before I install any updates and I pretty much limit to security stuff.

Rekim

Quote from: WallysWorld on July 19, 2016, 01:55:04 PM
So with ten days to go for the free upgrade, anyone else going to do ahead and do it? My friend upgraded his Windows 7 to 10 and he said he has no issues, but he doesn't use it as a gaming platform like I do.

I am tempted to do the upgrade this week as it appears to be easy to downgrade back to Windows 7 within 30 days of the upgrade. My only concern is that I have a Norton Ghost backup of my HDD before it crashed in February and Ghost doesn't really work with Windows 10. I wanted to hang onto this backup in case I want to retrieve some files before the drive crashed.

btw - it is possible to reserve a Win10 license for your Win7 box without the need to install it right away