What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

I just started reading The Red Knight by Miles Cameron.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

I started reading The Red Knight a couple of years ago...I got about 1/3 of the way through, it was a long read for me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

The Red Knight was really good.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

Can anyone recommend a book covering the general history of the war in the Pacific, please. I've read odd bits, but not a good chronological history.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bob48

Thank you, Pete. I'll check those out. O0

'Clip those corners'

besilarius

Haven't begun to read, but Pacific Thunder looks very good for those interested in the Fast Carriers.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Thunder-Central-Campaign-1943-October/dp/147282184X
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Greybriar

Quote from: bob48 on October 19, 2017, 06:16:23 AM
Can anyone recommend a book covering the general history of the war in the Pacific, please. I've read odd bits, but not a good chronological history.

You might want to check out volumes 3 - 8 and 12 - 14 of History of United States Naval Operations in World War II.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on October 15, 2017, 11:42:59 AM
Having read the first half, that is the year 1941, of the "Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1941-1942", and which I've enjoyed immensively because of the  :nerd: that I am , I got sidetracked and started on Amiran Ezov's recently translated (from Hebrew) "Crossing", which details the crossing of the Suez in '73.

As it was advertised to me, it is supposedly a really good read into the events and the OOB of the crossing to "Africa".

First few chapters done, this is certainly written on a more personal level (yet at the operational level), than what I've read about this so far.

Finished reading Ezov's "The Crossing" today. What a fascinating read, and a great book if you ever want to see how friction and fog-of-war can wreac havoc on a modern battlefield.

The 1973 Suez Crossing is mostly remembered for the battle for the Chinese Farm, yet that was supposed be just a routine highway clearance to rid the area of a few  Sagger-armed Egyptian "tank-hunter teams".  Yet, this securing of the northern flank of the crossing corridor proved out to be one of the most costly battle in the history of IDF.

But that's just one of the stories that keeps you glued to the book. The other is the engineering feat of how to cross the Suez Canal in the first place. Several solutions were tested, yet to even get them to the crossing site turned out to be a major endeavour.

All this is easily forgotten when reading about the decisives action after IDF secured the west bank of the canal and surrounded a full Egyptian Army to the east side. Recommended reading if interested in this particular topic. The Crossing, that is, as that's where it starts, and that's where it stops.

Very academic as well, but perfect for those Order-of-battle studies.  :nerd:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

BanzaiCat

Standing the Final Watch: The Last Brigade, Book 1.

Pretty solid writing so far. A little farfetched in the plot, but if you're no fan of Obama and believe in conspiracy theories, well...hey, it's a work of fiction.  O0

QuoteAmerica might be dead, but Nick Angriff will kick your ass to resurrect her.

Lt. General Nick Angriff has spent his adult life protecting family and country from a world of terrorism spinning out of control. On the battlefield, off the grid, in clandestine special task forces and outright black ops, Angriff never wavers from duty. But when a terror attack on Lake Tahoe kills his family, he's left with only the corrosive acid of revenge... that is, until a hated superior officer reveals the deepest of all secret operations. Against the day of national collapse, a heavily-armed military unit rests in cryogenic storage, to be awakened when needed, and Angriff is named its commander.

Fifty years later he wakes to find the USA destroyed and predatory warlords roaming the ruins. Stalked by assassins bent on seizing his command for their own purposes, Angriff has to prepare for war while avoiding murder.

Because the only wall still shielding survivors from slavery and death are the men and women of The Last Brigade.

Toonces

Costello's Pacific War is widely considered the best single volume treatment of the war.  It is very good.

Toland's The Rising Sun is an cel lent single volume account told from the Japanese perspective.

I highly recommend both.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

Thank you - on my list now.

'Clip those corners'

Sir Slash

Finished, "Killing England" by Bill O'Reilly last night. Good book as are all the 'killing' series and I learned a few things I didn't know before but this one lacks the emotional grab of the other books and felt a little flat. Next up is, "The Splintered Empires" by Pritt Buttar, the 4th and final book of WWI on the Eastern Front 1917-1922. So you probably won't see me until sometime after X-Mas.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Quote from: Toonces on October 22, 2017, 08:40:49 AM

Costello's Pacific War is widely considered the best single volume treatment of the war.  It is very good.

Toland's The Rising Sun is an cel lent single volume account told from the Japanese perspective.

I highly recommend both.

The Rising Sun was really good. I just ordered Costello's Pacific War, thanks!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak