Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

IMHO, no Harriers for Turkey, though I'd be in favor of Jump-Jets going to the Kurdistani AF, as it were. Also I'm good with Taiwan and Vietnam and any other country on the 'wrong' side of the 'nine dash line', just to mess with the People's Army-Navy Store a little.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2017, 09:31:08 PM
Also I'm good with Taiwan and Vietnam and any other country on the 'wrong' side of the 'nine dash line', just to mess with the People's Army-Navy Store a little.

+1
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Some canvas patches and a lick or two of dope and she'll be right as rain.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bob48

I've got an old bit of plywood in the garage which is just the right shape for the tail fin.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

http://worldwarwings.com/rare-footage-wwi-dogfights-not-many-clips-around-anymore/?a=mk&var=wwi+dogs-ww2&utm_campaign=wwi+dogs&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=original-ww2-mk&utm_content=footage

Some nice vviews of WWI planes.  I would quibble that they spliced in shots from movies like Wings or Hell's Angels in amongst the historical shots.
Haven't seen the whole episode but looks fun for the biplane crowd.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on December 08, 2017, 03:50:28 PM
https://twitter.com/PeteNorth303/status/938814969885446146
Knowing what fake BS is around on the internet today, the image of the plane is probably taken from some scrap yard in India.

But - what a lovely plane  O0 :smitten:
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Do English Androids dream of electric cows?

bob48

No idea. The only way to find that out is to take the bull by the horns.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

mirth

QuoteF4U-4B overflies the USS Missouri (BB-63) off Inchon, Korea , 15 September 1950

Barthheart

WOW! As big as I thought the Iowa-class BB's are, look at it compared to the cargo and transport ships....  :o

bob48

I do so like the F4U.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on December 15, 2017, 08:33:53 AM
I do so like the F4U.

+1 One of my favorites from that era.

mirth

QuoteA Vought F-8H Crusader VF-111 "Sundowners", on the forward elevator of USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14) in 1969 during a deployment to Vietnam.