Metal Gear Survive - more micro transaction

Started by mbar, February 23, 2018, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbar

I truly have nothing against micro transactions done right. They should add to the game not BE the game. MGS was on my wish list. Now it's checked as not interested. Micro transactions, always online, loot crates and paid save slots. Nope nope nope nope.

Jarhead0331

Game looks stupid anyway...not sure why they took it in this direction.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I had it on my wishlist too until I saw how dopey it looked in the last few days and removed it last night. About halfway through MGS V so if I want my fix I will just play that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Jim Sterling didn't like it (language warning)

Alba gu' brath

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

jomni

The title would suit a battle royale game like Player Unkown.   and that would seem more fun than this type of game.

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2018, 08:51:06 AM
Game looks stupid anyway...not sure why they took it in this direction.

This.

Loved MGSV overall, but hated the Skulls and their "puppet" zombie minions. MG Survive looks like it takes the worst aspects of MGSV and builds an entire game around them.

But then, I hate all things zombie.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

I've been completely uninspired with the videos I've seen.
Alba gu' brath

spelk

I've enjoyed what I've played of it, the single player mainly. The co-op beta was interesting, and was what swung me into buying it, but they seemed to have janked that up in release, which is odd. I guess because you can take your SP character (only one!) into MP, they needed to balance the co-op a bit, to account for different starting levels/skills/resources/crafting blueprints.

This review summed up my thoughts about the game fairly well..

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/metal_gear_survive

It's not Metal Gear Solid, as such. It's more Metal Gear Fortnite. Base building, resource gathering, crafting, with a lot of interplay between the systems, and more base/team management. The thing it really gets right is the desperation of trying to keep food/drink/oxygen levels in acceptable ranges to be able to explore the zones, and fulfill the quest missions. It really does do desperate and scary in equal measure, and you will struggle to survive early on, until you command the basics of food gathering and water purification.

The flourishes of defense just add a little more tense to the mix.The "dust" where you will do most of your later game exploration, is almost opaque, you cannot see much ahead of you, and you have no navigational aids on your HUD. So things become very nasty, when you get lost, and only have scant resources to stop you from dying due to food/drink or oxygen depletion.

The Kuban crystals you harvest to purchase things and level your character up to gain combat skills with, are the very things that you have to buy oxygen top-ups with out in the dust. And every top-up doubles the Kuban cost of the next one. So staying out in the dust becomes a pursuit of diminishing returns.. and that adds more pressure to your forays, because you could come back poorer, resource wise, than you left.. if you don't prepare and shift it when you need to.

I get the outrage over the character slot costs (although I can't imagine wanting to have another character to level up from scratch again... it's a harrowing experience early on), the "loot boxes" (material crates, they call them) don't seem to affect the game up to 20 hours or so in. They're simply bonus resources mostly. There are containers you have to raid, out in the field, and this is where you get your library of crafting blueprints. I've not seen crafting tied into the loot box mechanic, at all.

Story is a bit weird, but you know Metal Gear.. the survival is compelling. There are some nasty scary places, and some nice tech you can use. I'm enjoying it, even if the world seems set against it for numerous reasons. If you go to the game, without any previous expectations you might be surprised... but then again.. maybe not.

JudgeDredd

I wasn't sure if I just missed AJs rant - but I've seen plenty of games that only have one character slot. Mafia III rings an immediate bell because my daughter wanted to play it and so had to use my character from scratch (unless I missed a trick)

But one character creation and save slot is fairly common.

Unless he was meaning an ACTUAL save slot - meaning there was only ever one save file (kind of like some iron man mode or something) in which case, I see his point.

As for the original MGS - I just got fed up with those things that teleported all over the place. They scared me and they were a royal pain in the ass to beat...especially when you were unarmed and had to sneak away
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

^Heh those teleporting mofos scared me away from MGS too after about 25 hours in.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

He don't like it (maybe spoilers here if someone is playing)

I think this is both the worst and the funniest review I've ever seen them do. Little Joe and Trump - Angry Joe doing a Kuban sketch
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd