Ghost Recon Wildlands

Started by JudgeDredd, June 22, 2015, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

You know, I haven't finished this. Though I liked it a lot. Never got to install this after buying a new machine.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on December 11, 2018, 10:40:50 PM
You know, I haven't finished this. Though I liked it a lot. Never got to install this after buying a new machine.

exactly the same for me...played it and really liked it, but after my new machine never got back to it

JudgeDredd

I liked it initially - but Ubisoft seem to be going down an open world road that they haven't mastered yet. They're too "samey". Outside of cutscenes and briefings, there's too little to do and what is there is the same as previous levels - but at a different level.

Their most recent game - Assassins Creed Odyssey - plays better that The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Far Cry 5 - but they're still not really there yet with content and diversity in gameplay.

Their promo video for this highlights

• New Customization - Parachute Wings
    • New Feature - Photo Mode
    • Silent Spade Pack (what is that?)
    • Year 2 Pass Infantry Soldier Pack - so what? Not in the release but coming down the road at extra cost?
    • Battle Crates - 5 New Icons
    • Battle Crates - 90+ New Items
    • Challenge Rewards - New Weapons
    • In-Game Store - New Weapons

And a load of PvP crap. I would imagine - unless they have a different Marketing strategy to most I've come across - that they're showing those in order of importance...seriously?

I get the enthusiasm for the Optical Camo - it was fantastic. But it was fantastic in a game that showed you how useful it was. Ghost Recon Wildlands did not require you to sneak around. You could, but it made the game slow and ultimately you didn't have to.

I'm not particularly excited with anything Ubisoft brings out since I saw their crappy open world direction. Like I said - Odyssey seems to have been better  but there's still an awful lot of samey gameplay and missions.

I will give them their world. They do have excellent worlds in their games. But their gameplay is severely lacking and way too repetitive.

#notexcited  >:D

Alba gu' brath

jomni

Come to think of it, Wildlands missions are samey

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

although not huge variety, still enjoyed it and got my money worth...some day will reinstall

JudgeDredd

I couldn't say I didn't get my money's worth - that's true. But given the size of the game and the scope, it would've been nice for there to be enough variety to make it enjoyable the whole way through as opposed getting tired on it half way through.

I'd rather they created half the game and world and filled it with interesting things to do than give such a massive, open game and fill it with the same stuff - I just see their games as missed opportunities. This all seemed to stem from around Far Cry 4. The Division was the first one that stuck out with really repetitive gameplay. Kit was great and some loot was good - but it can't just be about that. There's got to be interesting stuff to do.

It's almost like they think reward - any reward - is what's needed. Just look at that stuff listed in their video...Battle Crates, Challenge Rewards, Customisations. They're all nice things to put in a game - but they don't keep everyone's attention for very long. For me it feels like they're pandering to the ADHD market - "Quick - the player opened a door - reward them with this shite or they'll get bored"  :buck2:

Also - what's this Battle Crates crap. Didn't EA try those? They were piss poor. And do you buy these with "impossible to make" in-game currency or real money? I see they've already mentioned in-game store purchases of weapons. Is that real money? Or grinding in game?

Hopefully Odyssey is a turning point and they flesh their massive worlds out with great things to do and their previous games have been them finding their feet.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

JD, if I recall, you have like over 100 hours into this game. What's with all the negativity? Ubisoft has released 3 major content updates for this game...for free. I think they deserve some credit for doing this. These updates could very easily be paid dlc.

Yes, the side missions get samey. But find me a an open world sandbox type game we're this is not an issue. It's an issue that's somewhat hard to avoid given the nature of the game. The release of the content updates help to add new life, and at least for a few hours, they succeed. Besides, the repetitive nature of this game has not stopped any of from sinking hundreds of hours into it, and it sounds like you're only playing half the game. Have you played Ghost War? Any of the challenge modes? Any of the PVP stuff? I get it, that sort of thing may not be you're bag, but it's  a significant part of the game and a big part of the reason why it's still going strong.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I just don't care for the route they're taking with open world (or took).

Big worlds same missions. I don't know how many times I was driving between two points (to do the same thing by the way) just to come up against some "boss" driving the same car who turns around and does a runner - like they did 100 times previously - hoping I'd follow him.

I've had my money - I admit it. I don't like their gameplay. That's it. I'd like a smaller world with more variation.

I was never critical of their Ghost Recon stuff which was excellent but they've started going down the same route as The Division - which has it's merits (just as this game has) - but is open and boring and repetitive.

If you recall me having over 100 hours in it (which by the way was between me and my daughter and (possibly future) son in law), then you'll recall me saying it was repetitive way back when and you chastising me then too.

Time in a game does not mean you enjoy the gameplay...there are other elements - mainly the world - which they provide in spades.

You might think they deserve credit for releasing new content for free. That's fine. I might have thought the same if I hadn't stopped playing so long ago and had no desire to go back because - well, see above. If their DLC has the same gameplay as the original game, then no - personally I wouldn't give them credit for it.

And so we're abundantly clear - I don't have a beef with Ubisoft - I loved Far Cry 2 and 3 and their Ghost Recon games...I just think their stride into the open world took a negative turn.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 12, 2018, 07:28:17 AM
Yes, the side missions get samey. But find me a an open world sandbox type game we're this is not an issue.
I haven't completed Odyssey for numerous reasons - but as I said in my post, that seemed to be much better fleshed out and I hoped it was a turning point for their open world games.

But we're taking about Ghost Recon Wildlands here - which was repetitive. That's where my main criticism lay. Not wholly at the game but specifically the gameplay.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I'm not chastising you, just debating your criticism, that's fair, isn't it?

Why so defensive?

Its cool if you've checked out. I've put the game aside too for the most part. However, the free updates do add significant single player content in the form of fairly enjoyable story missions with new characters from the Clancy universe of games and from other IPs. This should be acknowledged, especially if you want to criticize the game for not trying to expand its mission based experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

It is fair - but in all honesty it didn't come across that you were debating my criticism - your post came across as dismissive because I had sank 100 hours into it and "only played half the game". Perhaps I read it wrong - or perhaps you've got a way of writing  ^-^

My criticism was to do with the gameplay. It was repetitive - which you agreed with - and regardless of how long it took me to hang it up, I ended up hanging it up. I enjoyed it initially...and some hours after found it repetitive.

That of course doesn't mean I didn't get my money's worth - which I did given "my family" sank over 100 hours into it.

I played EA's Titanfall 2 - 3 times. That was only an 8 hour game and whilst linear had great gameplay and - more importantly - story. It was far superior to GRW and yet GRW got 100+ hours. Go figure. Perhaps it's the "Let's see if it does actually start to get interesting"...maybe it's the hope that keeps it going so long.

The reason I'm still a bit tender about it is because I was burned on The Division before it and Far Cry 5 after it.

I didn't question buying GRW even though I was burned on The Division (which is still the best game for making you feel bloody cold) because I had played previous GR games before and didn't fully expect GRW to follow The Division. I bought Far Cry 5 afterwards because I had played previous Far Cry games and like them (though 4 not so much).

So I had my reasons for buying these games - but taking all 3 together, it is now apparent to me that Ubisoft want this open world and whilst that's a good thing it's not if they don't fill it with interesting shit.

I've decided I'm not interested anymore until I see hard evidence that their games are not repetitive.

I played Plants versus Zombies for over 100 hours. Some games stick around

Defensive? Moi?  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

jomni

I'm with JD. Long hours on Wildlands too. Though great fun and well worth the price. I wasn't able to finish it. Maybe lacks something (more gamification) to keep the interest going.

It's not about repetitive scenarios. I play a lot of War Thunder. Same stuff all the time. But there's tons of incentives to keep going (100s of vehicles to obtain, upgrades, skins). I would think Warframe lovers think the same. 

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2018, 04:35:21 AM
    I liked it initially - but Ubisoft seem to be going down an open world road that they haven't mastered yet.
This.

Wildlands has this huge, beautiful open world...most of which you will never see because there's no reason.

Wildlands is turning out to be a huge missed opportunity. There's no end game, which could have been a random mission generator where you gather Intel to locate an HVT then capture or kill. Instead your only option is to attack endless convoys[/list]

Dammit Carl!

Agreed, but I will cop to not having finished more than two to three regions at this point so I haven't seen the full-on "end," of things.

Still, much like The Division, I come back to this when I just want some kind of nice "murder hobo," thing where I just ramble around and shoot baddies.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on December 14, 2018, 08:57:38 AM
Still, much like The Division, I come back to this when I just want some kind of nice "murder hobo," thing where I just ramble around and shoot baddies.
Which is probably where most of my hours were sunk into it. I initially hit the game hard...then, like The Division before it and Far Cry after it, the gameplay didn't entice me in.

Coming back to it was always fun for short bursts - and it's still installed (as is The Division).
Alba gu' brath