Magic the Gathering.

Started by bob48, October 14, 2014, 05:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Just been dusting off our collection and surprised to find that we have almost 1000 cards from different editions, mostly going back some 10 years or more.

The missus and I used to play the life out of it and have decided to pick it up again. Its actually quite a lot of fun to play.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

A buddy and myself started playing back in '94.  Unfortunately, I lost most of those old cards in a move somewhere since then.  Some were worth a little money. 

An acquaintance found out I had played it before, when it's sales started spiking back around '97 - '98 or so.   I ended up running his collectibles store for him a couple hours a day before going to my 11 hour job afterward (and often drinking after THAT job was done for the day.. oh to be in my 20s again).  I didn't need the money at the time but Magic was pretty much the only business he was doing at that point since the sports collectibles were practically dead. 

It wasn't much of a job since I just ended up playing pick-up games at the shop with customers before work, and got packs at cost in the meantime.   ;D

Anyway.. MtG reminds me of that period of my mostly sleepless and relatively carefree youth. >:D  I definitely enjoyed all the MtG games we had.  There was such a diversity of players coming in, you'd never know what you'd be up against on any given day especially if it was just the 'all editions' open structure for the aforementioned pick-up games.

bayonetbrant

I've still got a complete 3d edition set, mint condition in a set of sleeved binders, that I collected back in '94. 

Last time I asked at Origins what it would be worth, I was told (conservatively) around $800-900.

I played a lot from '94-'97 or so, and bailed out right before Weatherlight.  My son plays a little, and has about 3000 or so random cards we've bought is "grab bag boxes" at conventions.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

I just entered the whole lot on 'Deckbox' and found we have 978 cards. Non of real value, the top one being $18.

Its an interesting little site as it shows all the sets and blocks with illustrations of each cards. Also, it shows a current 'market value' against each card and has a pretty active trading facility.

We have a mixture of stuff including Portal, VI edition and Starter sets with some from 8th edition being the last ones we brought. I'm very tempted by the new 2015 edition Deck Builders starter pack for £16, but much depends on if or not we start playing it on a regular basis again.

I was amazed that there is one rare card out there with a value of $3077.

https://deckbox.org/games/mtg/cards
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Double Deuce

That 'Deckbox' thing is interesting. wonder if there is anything like that for Pokemon. My kids have boxes full of cards and I might need to auction them off to pay for their newer hobbies.  :coolsmiley:

Nefaro

I see the Black Lotus is still near the top, averaging about $3000 resale now.  ???

I had one back in the 90s, along with some others near the top of the list.  Probably should've kept track of that stuff.

BanzaiCat

Shoot. I played MtG back around 97/98 when I was working on an ambulance - my partner was BIG into it and got me into it as well and it helped pass a lot of the down time.

My cards were the $1 specials you'd find in the grab bin at some hobby store on the southeast side of Houston. I remember clearly taking my 'collection' with me to San Antonio and trying to play a friend of mine there, but his collection was hundreds of cards from which only a dozen could have destroyed my hundred ten times over. That's about when I realized "f*ck this game" because of how much it would cost to really play effectively.  :-\

JasonPratt

BC,

That's why it's nice to play random cards shuffled out of a common deck. Or rather out of common decks, in order to make sure there's a nice land-to-spell color ratio for any color being played.

I'm almost certain I have a Black Lotus somewhere, but I'm not entirely certain -- I may have sold it long ago instead.  :P Even back in my college days, early 90s, it was worth a few hundred dollars. I don't have many cards compared to some collections, only a few hundred, but for that same reason they're all fairly old. I even have a few black borders.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus