Steel Beasts Pro Discussion Thread

Started by Asid, July 16, 2014, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnus

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

The time license is only on one computer.

hapshott

For me it was a timed license. I had this license coupled with my laptop. After either running CCleaner or Windows update it didn't work anymore. I didn't change anything else on this laptop. So I was expecting to be safe. But it worked out differently.

All in all I was expecting support and an license for a year. Not a few weeks. So I didn't go for the offered solution of buying it again.

RyanE

Speak of the devil...

I was watching a youtube replay of a Steel Beasts game.  Happened to notice this in the comments...I bolded the important part. 

"A time-license is a good option, but bear in mind that it is bound to your motherboard, so if you plan on getting a new PC within a year, you cannot transfer the license to the new one. This may, or may not, be a consideration for you.

Getting a timed license is considerably cheaper than getting the unlimited duration license. To put in in perspective, you can purchase three 1 year licenses for the price of one unlimited license. A year is a long time, especially for a video game. I've seen plenty of people on the forums get the "classic" license, only to play it for a few months and then move onto something else.

In short, if you don't anticipate making any major changes to your PC setup (getting a new one, upgrading hardware, etc), and you don't anticipate playing the Steel Beasts for more than three years, then go for it!

If you do get Steel Beasts, sign up at the forums (the link is in the description), and see about participating in some multiplayer games. I would love to see you in game!"

Is this common knowledge?  The time-based license can't be recovered or moved at all?  I thought it was hard drive failures that killed it.  It appears to be any change to the motherboard.  I would say the time-based license is a pretty risky way to buy SB.  I upgrade my laptop about once a year so it might not be too big of a deal, but still good to know.

RyanE

Explanation and video of the new high-rez terrain coming to SB in June.

http://www.esimgames.com/?p=2070

...nevermind.  It appears that video and the LIDAR capability are concepts only.

hapshott

Hello,

I knew that the license is bound to one pc. So I jumped in when I got my new laptop. Sure that I wouldn't change it for at least 2 years.

I didn't expect that a Windows update or CCleaner run would damage the license.

I do not want a dongle who is sticking out of my laptop. Its a laptop and you move it around.

All in all it was the worsed copy protection I ever used. And I understand it is never cracked. It is so sensitive that a simple change can damage the encryption.

Jarhead0331

This thread is a shell of its former self. What a pity.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 30, 2017, 01:02:05 PM

Death by dongle.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on May 30, 2017, 01:04:01 PM

Death by dongle.

More like death by douchebags.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

Quote from: mirth on May 30, 2017, 01:04:01 PM

Death by dongle.

That's a hard thing to choke on
Insert witty comment here.

Pete Dero

http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1390

eSim Games has just released the new version for Steel Beasts Professional, Personal Edition – version 4.023.

Version 4.023 is a free update. At least one more free update is planned for the 4.0 series of SB Pro PE, then introducing the new terrain engine.

For this update, the biggest changes are

The hovercam animation path editor: Create your own cinematic scenes with smoothly moving cameras
    Substantial updates to the CV90/35 fire control system simulations. Things just got more complicated, yay!
    Four pages of bug fixes, the joy!
    New terrain objects, and textures; more shit to build better farms

RyanE

I've been playing it for a couple days.  I, for the life of me, can't figure out how the new camera functions work.

Pete Dero

Quote from: RyanE on December 25, 2017, 07:36:01 AM
I've been playing it for a couple days.  I, for the life of me, can't figure out how the new camera functions work.

Maybe this helps :

RyanE

I'm sure it will.  Where was that?  I looked all over steelbeasts.com and esims.

Pete Dero