What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

White Star Rising, and now waiting for the Cobra expansion,

Normandy '44

Storm over Stalingrad

a great pile of WaW games as yet untouched..............
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Captain General

Paths of Glory on Vassal.

As Central Powers was able to bag three Russian Armies and two Corps in Poland during Fall of 1915.

The Armies were permanently eliminated since they were out of supply.

If I could figure out how to do a screenshot on Vassal I'd post one.

Toonces

Although I'm trying to thin out my boardgame collection- just no room here in the new house- I'm definitely picking up Mage Knight, and I think I'm ready to preorder both Next War: Korea and Bloody April.   I love the whole Downtown system.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Arctic Blast

Ended up tracking down a copy of Space Empires 4X. I'll hopefully get to play one of the solo scenarios from that tomorrow. And hopefully also get a chance to mess around with either Strike of the Eagle or 1812 in advance of a games night.

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on February 24, 2012, 02:42:10 PM

Normandy '44

Storm over Stalingrad

Packing up Battle for Normandy and Gringo!  and Prussia's Glory II
Getting out: Roads to Leningrad and Rising tide (Harpoon 4.1)

bayonetbrant

just got a few in from VPG for the review locker.

First up is probably Nemo's War, followed closely by Empires in America.  I've got Crisis 2020 in, too, but will need to find time / opponent for that one.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on February 24, 2012, 02:42:10 PM

Normandy '44

Storm over Stalingrad

I got a very smoky, punched and clipped (but never played?) copy of Roads to Leningrad from Yuma.
First day of Staraya Russia, the despised 11th army went over the top with massive support and
knocked the German X Korps halfway back to the main object.  Meanwhile 34th army drives west and
Manstein gets ready to klobber them.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on February 01, 2012, 12:22:40 AM
The last boardgame I played was Castle Ravenloft which is a D&D minis type boardgame.  It was fun, but my wife's eyes rolled back into her head while we were playing it.

I think I've successfully overcome my urge to buy monster wargames that I know I'll never play and I find myself focusing on collecting games with a solo component that I might actually get to someday.

I've been eyeballing a boardgame called Mage Knight that should be up for reprint around May as my next purchase.

Hey Toonces (or anyone else).. how much replayability does Castle Ravenloft have?

I've heard good things about it, and decided to pick it up for playing with some of the close family (all indoctrinated geeks, though no wargamers) but was wondering how randomized it is.  Will I be looking to buy one of the other two or three similar ones in no time, due to repitition, or is it something good for playing weekly for a long stretch?

LongBlade

I haven't played it but I have spoken to folks about it.

IIRC the end game is somewhat broken. I can't remember exactly how, but I do remember people telling me it has some problems.

If you're thinking about getting it, you might want to do some research.

BGG doesn't think it's broken, but some reports I've heard suggest otherwise.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/673055/adventure-4-daylight-assault-broken

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Well I have wrath of az.    It's a fun game.   The replayability is in the fact that the tiles, monster cards, treasure are randomized.    So in general no two play through a are the same.   Plus if you get the other sets the tiles and cards can be mixed together for more variety.

Arctic Blast

Yep, I've got Wrath as well...and actually just ordered Ravenloft.  ;D There are quite a few different scenarios in each box, and a few more on the Wizards site as well.

With the random tile draws, and (in Wrath, anyway) random Chamber card mission draws, there really is a lot of re-playability. Just go in knowing that you are NOT getting an RPG board game. You're getting an action dungeon crawl game. If you're looking for something more adventure or campaign oriented, you need to look elsewhere.

LongBlade

Wrath of Az, Bison? Might want to clarify that one.

I have Wrath of Ashardalon, too. Never played it. But glad I've got it....
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grimnirsson

Julius Caesar by Columbia Games while we wait for our copy of Blocks in the East to arrive  :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Nefaro

Thanks for the Ravenloft info. 

Being a dungeon crawler, it's exactly what I was looking for.  Someone here had recommended it to me in the past and it looks to be a quality one.   It's good to know that the other games in the series are interchangeable so getting more variety into it, if played enough, is an extra option.

I may also pick up a solitaire DVG game sometime - you guys have any personal preferences out of that selection?

Grimnirsson

QuoteI may also pick up a solitaire DVG game sometime - you guys have any personal preferences out of that selection?

Well, we only play solitaire games that are also good coop games (so in fact we don't play them solitaire ;) ) and speaking of DVG we own two - both of them great and highly recommended. Here are our reviews:

http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/review-hornet-leader-carrier-air-operations-dvg/

http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/review-thunderbolt-apache-leader-gmt/

We only have the older version of TAL and now since DVG has the modern version made available one should probably see to get the latter one. But the 'classic' version is the same game actually and quite cheap to get so... :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de