Best Single Player

Started by JudgeDredd, March 13, 2019, 03:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I know I may well have asked this before, but I'm in the market for another single player game.

Criteria is

• Counters
  • Single Player
  • Modern Warfare (post 1950)
  • Can be card based instead of die (ala Combat Commander)
  • Needs to have been made in the last 5-10 years (for quality of counters, maps etc)
  • Platoon/Company size
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Nice...look forward to responses.  :notworthy:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

stolypin

Don't think it's in print anymore but for a modern solitaire game, Phantom Fury by Nuts Publishing is a good one in my opinion.

Also enjoy DVG's Phantom Leader, Hornet Leader, and Apache Leader. 

JudgeDredd

I have Phantom, Hornet and Apache Leader - all good games  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Does anyone have/played Holland '44?
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I'm getting Holland '44. I know it doesn't meet my criteria, but it's got beautiful components, a cracking map and it's a great battle.
Alba gu' brath

ComradeP

It indeed doesn't meet your criteria, but it's a great game.

The upcoming mounted map features a slightly different map I believe with a correction here and there. The current map is good as well, of course. I've played it using VASSAL mostly for convenience reasons as I don't have a lot of space to place the map board and keep it there for a while.

The upcoming Stalingrad '42 will be really nice as well, though due to the Russian terrain the map might look a bit bland compared to European maps.

I haven't looked at the updated Ardennes '44 yet.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

ArizonaTank

GMT's MBT series is a hoot...  Two player, but nothing in the sequence that means solitaire doesn't work.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-478-mbt.aspx

As a plus...there is even a vassal module.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Toonces

Phantom Fury was my first idea.

I've always wanted to try Fields of Fire.  I have no idea how it plays, but it sounds neat and has great reviews.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 15, 2019, 03:28:23 PM
GMT's MBT series is a hoot...  Two player, but nothing in the sequence that means solitaire doesn't work.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-478-mbt.aspx

As a plus...there is even a vassal module.
I had MBT many, many years ago - it may even be up in the loft.

Quote from: Toonces on March 15, 2019, 03:56:22 PM
Phantom Fury was my first idea.

I've always wanted to try Fields of Fire.  I have no idea how it plays, but it sounds neat and has great reviews.
Someone recommended Fields of Fire but I would specifically like a map...the card terrain system looks like it offers alot of variety, but it's not my bag really.
Alba gu' brath

Ubercat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 15, 2019, 07:56:24 AM
Does anyone have/played Holland '44?

I think you'll like it.

I have it but plan on selling it at the auction store at WBC this July. I simply don't have the focus to learn the rules well enough to give it a good play through. My old brain isn't as sharp as it was when I was 15 and would read the hell out of rule books. I've prioritized other series rules like BCS, OCS, and ASLSK. I liked what I read of the Holland '44 rules and did start the first turn of the campaign but gave up after getting confused by something or other.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

DVG's Leader and Warfighter series are quite enjoyable. Warfighter especially with a mate and a pint.

MBT is very cool as well solo.

Wing Leader is fun to play solo as well.

Congrats on Holland '44. Looks like a cool game.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 15, 2019, 08:37:36 AM
I'm getting Holland '44. I know it doesn't meet my criteria, but it's got beautiful components, a cracking map and it's a great battle.

i remember you always wanted "Where there is discord" that Falkland game
ok, its high price from the start and becoming a collectors item doesn't made it cheaper

but isn't it a good idea to follow a dream once a while, and give in to an old wish and give yourself a deserved treat

when i checked last year shortly before the Spiel in Essen started, a brick and mortar store there local in Essen https://www.fanen.com/index.html (and with a booth on the fair of course) still had one item in storage, but for a whooping 250€ new.

(but that's the price without any bartering and its on their shelf since years so there is a chance they might give in to a bartering offer. when i casual talked with them about that game at the fair, they made an offer to fetch it from the storage for me in some hours wait and they reduced the price a bit... so there is wiggling room)

Yskonyn

Oh and Gary's Carrier package might be interesting! Forgot to mention that one.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MikeGER on March 16, 2019, 06:29:44 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 15, 2019, 08:37:36 AM

i remember you always wanted "Where there is discord" that Falkland game
ok, its high price from the start and becoming a collectors item doesn't made it cheaper

but isn't it a good idea to follow a dream once a while, and give in to an old wish and give yourself a deserved treat

when i checked last year shortly before the Spiel in Essen started, a brick and mortar store there local in Essen https://www.fanen.com/index.html (and with a booth on the fair of course) still had one item in storage, but for a whooping 250€ new.

(but that's the price without any bartering and its on their shelf since years so there is a chance they might give in to a bartering offer. when i casual talked with them about that game at the fair, they made an offer to fetch it from the storage for me in some hours wait and they reduced the price a bit... so there is wiggling room)
No...to follow a dream. Not at the price it's going for. I've got a couple of Falkland games and they'll do me until the price for Where There Is Discord gets reasonable. If never, then so be it.

I can't justify the price people are asking for that boardgame. Not just can't, but won't. I don't want it that much
Alba gu' brath