Forced to move from windows 7

Started by Con, October 24, 2016, 04:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Hi guys

Well I was hoping this day wouldn't come but my SSD on my desktop is a Samsung 128GB pro and I have been limping along on it for the last 6 months (mostly to do with available space).  I tried all the tips and tricks on keeping the hd clean but just too many things (mostly itunes and backups for all the various tablets etc) have killed my available space.  Today I had my first failures due to lack of disk space that were not resolved with my normal ways of deleting unwanted files.  So I have ordered a new one (Samsung 500GB EVO).

So I wanted to know what my options for Windows were.  I currently use Windows 7 but I got it with my computer 6 years ago.  I have the original disks but should I re install it or go now with windows 10?  I am leaning to windows 10 since it will bring everything up to date.  Is the option of getting a free windows 10 passed?

Thanks for any advice
Con 

Staggerwing

Sorry to say but the 'Free Windows 10' Ship has sailed. The only way to get it free now is if you previously installed it but then reverted back That's because your Mobo's unique ID will be in Microsoft's databases somewhere and you will get a second chance. For now...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Reinstall Win 7. Or better still, there must be a way to transfer everything to the new drive.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Con

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2016, 06:22:19 PM
Sorry to say but the 'Free Windows 10' Ship has sailed. The only way to get it free now is if you previously installed it but then reverted back That's because your Mobo's unique ID will be in Microsoft's databases somewhere and you will get a second chance. For now...

I did install it but then had modem problems so rolled back to windows 7.

Does that mean I could get it for free?  If so what would I have to look for on my computer?

Also in follow up if I just copied my current hard drive over to the new drive (operating system and all) and then plugged that drive in as the initial boot drive would I be screwing myself over?

Conrad

DoctorQuest

If you did an install and rollback of Win 10 you should be able to go to microsoft.com and download the "media creation tool" which will build you a Windows 10 install ISO or flash drive. You may need to upgrade from win 7 again. It may not let you do a clean install of Win 10.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Ubercat

MS recently had me answer a poll as to how likely I would be to recommend W10 to a friend! I selected "Not at all likely." I was then prompted to give the reason for my answer. I said "Because of the incredibly obnoxious and arrogant manner in which you forced me to switch. Did you think I'd forget?"
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

W8taminute

Quote from: Ubercat on October 25, 2016, 02:03:42 PM
MS recently had me answer a poll as to how likely I would be to recommend W10 to a friend! I selected "Not at all likely." I was then prompted to give the reason for my answer. I said "Because of the incredibly obnoxious and arrogant manner in which you forced me to switch. Did you think I'd forget?"

Excellent response!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Greybriar

When my hard drive started to fail earlier this year, I replaced it and transferred everything to the new hard drive. I would have preferred to start with a fresh install of Windows 7 but for reasons I can't recall it just wasn't practical to do so. It's working okay and I didn't have to switch to Windows 10, but I should mention I turned off the automatic updates when I heard about Microsoft sneaking in Windows 10 files among the updates.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bobarossa

Quote from: Greybriar on October 26, 2016, 08:54:06 PM
When my hard drive started to fail earlier this year, I replaced it and transferred everything to the new hard drive. I would have preferred to start with a fresh install of Windows 7 but for reasons I can't recall it just wasn't practical to do so. It's working okay and I didn't have to switch to Windows 10, but I should mention I turned off the automatic updates when I heard about Microsoft sneaking in Windows 10 files among the updates.
This month's updates include one that removes all those sneaky update files from your computer.  They did this because the upgrade path is no longer free.  Probably more to prevent someone accidentally getting it free than any sense of doing the right thing.

mirth

Quote from: bobarossa on October 27, 2016, 02:24:57 PM
Probably more to prevent someone accidentally getting it free than any sense of doing the right thing.

I think that's a certainty.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Con

I followed the advice in this article on cloning my SSD and transferring it to a new larger SSD
http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/

It was relatively painless (I did have to delete some programs of the first drive since I had no room whatsoever and the cloning program and backup needed disk space on the c drive).  Apart from that snag which was quickly resolved and I am now running my computer with a larger work drive with Windows7 all my programs so far are working flawlessly.

Thanks for the advice on cloning instead of having to buy and install a new Windows 10 OS

Con

mirth

Quote from: Con on October 28, 2016, 01:13:22 PM
I followed the advice in this article on cloning my SSD and transferring it to a new larger SSD
http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/

It was relatively painless (I did have to delete some programs of the first drive since I had no room whatsoever and the cloning program and backup needed disk space on the c drive).  Apart from that snag it was relatively painless and I am running my computer now with Windows 7 from a  larger drive with all my programs so far working flawlessly.

Thanks for the advice on cloning instead of having to buy and install a new Windows 10 OS

Con

Good call  O0

DoctorQuest

Con takes to the MAN!

I am so ready to put up a second partition on my wife's laptop and install Win 7. I have better things to do than watch the wheels fall off Win 10. I think she is also a great candidate for Linux given how she uses her laptop. I just haven't found a good way to import outlook email into any of the Linux email clients I've found.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

My suggestion:

Use a good mechanical HDD for installing Windows on.  Save all your SSD space for games & programs with noticeable load times, which is where you want it to save time & be more efficient.  ;)

Having Windows on your SSD just ensures that it will be used far more often.  For mostly trivial little Windows operations you don't need faster load times for.

Other than faster PC start-up times, you don't get much out of installing Windows on an SSD.  Other than more wear.  HDDs are relatively cheap for lots of extra storage space.