Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Started by Huw the Poo, September 08, 2019, 06:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

One other thing....assuming I didn't somehow miss this in Wildlands, really like how some of the loot/gear/intel is hidden in caves and other hidden locations.  It was driving me crazy why I couldn't find stuff that I could clearly see on my mini-map so I went looking all over the place and I ended up falling in a hole (i.e. hidden cave) that took me to underground stuff.  That enhances some of the search and find, versus just seeing boxes/intel laying around everywhere in open spaces.

Not a major thing, but thought it was a nice touch:)

Huw the Poo

You aren't locked to a single class, mind.  You can still open the others by spending skill points - but only one is active at any time.  You can switch classes at bivouacs (tactics option).

JudgeDredd

lol - I am referring to the intro...I haven't actually watched it yet (just clarifying)
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

i have stopped watching and reading reviews on this game, it's a given that it's universally hated by all reviewers and a large group of players.  personally just having fun with it and no regrets purchasing it but i likely have different expectations then all these folks.  never expected it to be a game changer and only thing i originally was disappointed about was lack of teammates but after playing awhile, i am not even bothered by that now.

game likely isn't for everyone and not cheap, so up to each person to gamble...or wait for future sake:)

Jarhead0331

So...I just had to get it. An experiment, if you will, to test the universally negative reviews against some of the favorable comments I've read here and elsewhere, which on a hunch, I presumed would prove more accurate.

I had a lot of fun with it so far in the 3 to 5 hours I've played. Grim, was of course correct, it does feel like Wildlands and is certainly not a drastic departure from the play style and mechanics. Most importantly, the two major criticisms I have observed are yet to prove a factor in my experience. First, micro transactions. I haven't felt the need to go to the shop to buy anything at all. There is literally gear and weapons everywhere on the map. I'm not sure how anyone could state with seriousness that this is pay to win or shameless micro transaction hell. You can certainly play it that way, but so far, totally unnecessary. Second, AI. Ive played less than 5 hours so it's  hard to say, but I have not seen enemy AI do anything overly or offensively stupid yet. I think it is disengenuous for a reviewer to play for 20+ hours and find 2 or 3 examples of stupid things to the AI did and then deadpan the game based on those few experiences.

Otherwise, yes, the story is dumb, but I haven't really gone on any of the missions yet. I'm just exploring the map, taking down locations of interest, leveling up and collecting gear. The game, like Wildlands, will definitely get repetitive. But so far, I'm enjoying my time with it, think the negative reviews are wildly exaggerated and don't regret giving it shot. Someone needs to seriously investigate the phenonomenon of mob mentality reviewing. It's not fair to the team that put a lot of time and effort into building the experience, it's  not fair to the players who bought the game and who's experience is detracted from due to the poor reviewing, or to potential players, like me, who held off for awhile as a result of all the inaccurate reporting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Well said....glad you gave it a chance

Jarhead0331

I'll add that I do miss not having an AI Squad, but their absence isn't really killing the experience for now. Instead, it's just causing me to play differently. I'm approaching missions more tactically and cautiously, rather than quickly going loud and relying on my team mates to eliminate missed threats or to revive me if I fall. I'm taking more time doing thorough Recon and actually avoiding some threats where the dangers outweigh the benefits of attack. In the meantime, I suspect leveling up my drone may take some of the place of an AI Squad.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

trek

I'm on the fence on this one too. I'm still playing Wildlands on and off. From watching the YT videos of gameplay it seems like they've incorporated a bit of the Division elements along with some Metal Gear PP tropes too. Like more sneaking, etc.

My BIG QUESTION. I know you guys haven't played a lot of the game yet, but do you like it better than Wildlands or the same, not as much? I'm trying to decide on this one and really need some input.

Jarhead0331

My general impression so far is that if you like Wildlands, you will like Breakpoint. Despite the added features and modifications to the mechanics, Breakpoint still plays and feels like Wildlands. As I have said, my biggest let down was the omission of squad based AI. However, as indicated above, I haven't really suffered as a result and I am simply playing a little differently by approaching threats more carefully. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

See?  Everything I said up thread was correct!

- MTX are a complete non-issue
- no AI squad mates is not as bad as it sounds
- gameplay is just like Wildlands

Grim: That was well said.  This game is being treated horribly unfairly by the gaming press and Youtubers, even some I usually respect.  Gotta get those precious clicks, I guess.

Quote from: trek on October 07, 2019, 07:29:31 AM
My BIG QUESTION. I know you guys haven't played a lot of the game yet, but do you like it better than Wildlands or the same, not as much? I'm trying to decide on this one and really need some input.

I don't quite put it at the level of Wildlands yet, but it's very close.  Wildlands has had a large amount of post-launch support, whereas Breakpoint is brand new and does have some issues that need to be worked out.  I have every confidence, however, that it will get there sooner rather than later.

As I keep saying - remember, Wildlands was poorly received on launch too.  Now look at how much respect it has.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: trek on October 07, 2019, 07:29:31 AM
I'm on the fence on this one too. I'm still playing Wildlands on and off. From watching the YT videos of gameplay it seems like they've incorporated a bit of the Division elements along with some Metal Gear PP tropes too. Like more sneaking, etc.

Ultimately, too early to know for sure....but if I had to guess, I'll end up liking them roughly the same since very similar to me.  I'll play more of breakpoint going forward since I typically don't play older games and not sure there is anything in Wildlands that would make me go back at this time.

Huw the Poo

Hmm, after the session I just had, I might have to revise that last message to at least on par with Wildlands!  Wildlands shines in co-op mode, but single player it has never been as much fun as Breakpoint just was.  I was mainly doing story missions so I won't say too much, other than I had some very tense encounters with both military personnel and drones while clearing some pretty interesting locations.  One thing Breakpoint has hugely in its favour is that the locations are extremely well designed and pretty varied too.  Auroa is a beautiful place.  I'm glad that for once in my life I actually have a PC capable of playing these games on ultra settings.

What weapons do you guys use?  I always have a combination of assault rifle and SNR/DMR.  Until today I have mainly been using the TAC50 because it's such a cool, powerful weapon - but it's bolt-action so your first shot had better hit or you're in trouble.  So tonight I've been playing with a G28 Scout and I'm really starting to like it.  (I have the signature Wolves edition by the way - screenshot in the screenshot thread - it has bonuses at night)  I like how quickly it gets rounds off, so you aren't screwed if your first shot doesn't kill.  I've upgraded it to Mk2 so the handling is a lot better - hardly any recoil.

I can't remember the name of my assault rifle but one thing I made sure of is to improve the handling on it, too.  Because of the stealth nature of this game, I feel like low recoil is by far the best characteristic of any weapon; you want to be able to put bullets through skulls as quickly as possible, especially if you're going up against Wolves.

Grim.Reaper

No idea on their name and type, I have an assault rifle and a sniper rifle, that is about all I know:)

Probably nowhere near as far as you to see the really good stuff yet, one more day of this Planet Zoo beta and then back I come.

JudgeDredd

Ma main man's review is out

Language warning - he is Angry Joe  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

I have quarantined myself from watching or reading any more reviews on this game:)  I already know every reviewer universally hates it, which hasn't matched my experience so no use anymore.  Sadly, haven't had a ton of time to get much further in the game yet.