Passing of Jim Cobb??!!??

Started by Cyrano, February 13, 2018, 11:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

Jesus. Sorry to hear that. RIP Jim always read your stuff.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Goodbye Jim.
May you and Angela soar far and free now that the terrible burdens life placed upon you have fallen away.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

This is really sad news.  I loved his reviews all the way back from the days of Computer Gaming World. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Steelgrave

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 13, 2018, 07:29:22 PM
This is really sad news.  I loved his reviews all the way back from the days of Computer Gaming World.

Me too. The first time I talked to Jim online it felt like meeting a gaming celebrity, where you say stuff like "I've read all your reviews". He will be missed.

bayonetbrant

I heard back from their kids after pointing them to this thread

Thanks so much for sharing. We're all heartbroken

Please let the grogheads know Jim & Angie's passing was caused by the flu.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

The flu!! Man. 10-12 years ago Cobb gave me some really great advice on writing/reviewing and was very welcoming when I joined the staff at Wargamer. I will always remember him fondly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

The flu.....man, you hear about what a bad flu season it has been but this makes it hit home. God bless their kids and loved ones, this has to be so hard....

OJsDad

Does anyone here know how old they were. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on February 13, 2018, 10:31:54 PM
Does anyone here know how old they were.

I think Jim was in his late 60s.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Kushan

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 13, 2018, 08:15:21 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 13, 2018, 07:29:22 PM

Me too. The first time I talked to Jim online it felt like meeting a gaming celebrity, where you say stuff like "I've read all your reviews". He will be missed.

I used to send him e-mails, him and Bill Trotter, back in the old days.  And they both would always respond to me.  Me asking about silly things like Strategic WWII games one day coming out, or if someone would make a good operational level game. 

The guy never once flinched from talking to an eager, weird pimple faced weirdo like me in 1998.

Feels weird in this world where everything is closer together, where my wife is a well paid reviewer under a pseudonym.   Feels very weird.  I'm sorry he's gone.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MikeGER

RIP Bismark (Jim)  ...so i remember him from my first days as still a shy (language barrier) lurker over at Wargamer

Surtur

Really sad to read this news. Rest in peace.
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Tuna

RIP, hopefully they weren't one of the people that couldn't afford the medicine. This round seems to be taking a lot of people!