STRATEGIC COMMAND WW2: WORLD AT WAR released today

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 06, 2018, 05:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie

Been playing SC's WWII stuff since the first one.  And I enjoy them.  But I don't understand the fascination with playing the European and Pacific wars simultaneously.  It is inherently unrealistic.  Sure the results in one theater may effect the other.  But only (historically, in any event) vaguely and indirectly.  Certainly there was no combined strategy akin to having one director of German and Japanese efforts to win the war. 

Maybe the "Allies,"  UK, USA and USSR could almost semi-realistically operate as if they were controlled by a singe entity, but, even that, is really pushing it. 

I bought World in Flames but never played it because it didn't come with the option to play Europe or the Pacific separately.  Did they ever include separate theatre scenarios? 

Rayfer

Quote from: Johnnie on December 07, 2018, 09:03:11 PM
Been playing SC's WWII stuff since the first one.  And I enjoy them.  But I don't understand the fascination with playing the European and Pacific wars simultaneously.  It is inherently unrealistic.  Sure the results in one theater may effect the other.  But only (historically, in any event) vaguely and indirectly.  Certainly there was no combined strategy akin to having one director of German and Japanese efforts to win the war. 

Maybe the "Allies,"  UK, USA and USSR could almost semi-realistically operate as if they were controlled by a singe entity, but, even that, is really pushing it. 

I bought World in Flames but never played it because it didn't come with the option to play Europe or the Pacific separately.  Did they ever include separate theatre scenarios?

I thought I read somewhere that you can play Japan and have the AI run the German/Italian efforts in Europe.  And visa-versa.  I could be wrong but it's worth checking.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on December 08, 2018, 08:34:17 AM

I thought I read somewhere that you can play Japan and have the AI run the German/Italian efforts in Europe.  And visa-versa.  I could be wrong but it's worth checking.

Thought I read the same...

W8taminute

You bring up a great point and one that I have never considered when selecting a grand strategy game to purchase. 

I think the fascination of playing the two theaters separately stem from the desire to holistically play the entire war in order to see if it is possible to change history.  Yes many wargamers are strict about historical accuracy of starting units, game mechanics, map names, etc. but they also want to play games as well for entertainment.  Playing all theaters simultaneously is entertainment for maybe not all but definitely for some, myself included. 

The reality of the market must be considered as well.  We are a lonesome breed.  It is extremely difficult in this day and age to find an opponent who will play with you at will at any time of day or night.  Even in this age of the internet it is difficult.  We lonesome wargamers resort to playing solo with the only person who can be relied to show up and play at any given moment.  Why limit the already limited game options by imposing such a restriction as the one you mention?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

-budd-

I'm a late comer to the SC series, but have them all now up to this release. There a lot of fun in PBEM. Think i'm staying on the fence for now because of the scale/map size  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4565048

The map in the original global was to small, seemed like wall to wall units. The bigger map in the AOD release was much more playable. I was hoping the map in this release would be AOD size but i guess it's bigger than the original but smaller than AOD, so on the fence i sit.

In SCWW2 Europe you can just pick one country and have the AI handle the rest, i assume that carried over to the new Global.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Bill Runacre

Quote from: -budd- on December 08, 2018, 10:40:44 AM

In SCWW2 Europe you can just pick one country and have the AI handle the rest, i assume that carried over to the new Global.

Hi

Indeed, that is the case here, so you can command say just Japan and let the AI command Germany and Italy, or vice versa.

The actual extent to which you leave control to the AI is also up to you, as the AI will carry out its moves and purchases once you press end turn, so even if you assign a country to AI control, you could direct one part of its theater of operations, or its diplomatic strategy etc.

This can also be turned on or off at any time, and you can even switch sides should you wish to (this was a feature asked for in the past and some players enjoy changing sides to see if they can turn things around).

In terms of the map scale, it's not really that different from our previous Assault on Democracy. A greater difference is with our last release, WWII War in Europe, but World at War uses a slightly smaller scale than that to avoid turns taking too long and keep the game manageable.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

stolypin

Agree 1000%.  I thoroughly enjoy SC WWII Europe but have no interest in the new World at War title unless someone comes up with a Cold-war-goes-hot theme scenario.

FarAway Sooner

So, any more impressions of this game for anybody to post?  In particular, I'd be interested to hear if it's different (and how) from the SC: WW I game that was really enjoyable, but turned into a fairly predictable slog against the AI after a few games (and well over 60 hours of quality play!).

W8taminute

I like the game and have put in about 4 hours of time into it.  It might not be fair for me to completely judge SC WAW but I am enjoying it thus far.  Fighting over the globe in this not too complicated game is just the right medicine for those evenings when your brain has been burnt out at work and you need something light to retire with.

The only complaint I have is that I wish the scale of the land war was not on the corps/army scale.  I prefer to mass produce quantity at low prices rather than just having 2 or 3 corps/armies to push around per theater which are so prohibitively expensive to produce.  The AI always seems to be able to man every square inch of territory with strong troops whilst I struggle to cover thousands of miles of frontage with just a couple of corps/armies backed up by divisional sized garrison units.  Either I am missing the developers intention with the gameplay or this might end up being not my cup of tea after all.   
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bill Runacre

Quote from: W8taminute on December 11, 2018, 04:16:50 PM
I like the game and have put in about 4 hours of time into it.  It might not be fair for me to completely judge SC WAW but I am enjoying it thus far.  Fighting over the globe in this not too complicated game is just the right medicine for those evenings when your brain has been burnt out at work and you need something light to retire with.

That's great to hear!  :)

Quote from: W8taminute on December 11, 2018, 04:16:50 PMThe AI always seems to be able to man every square inch of territory with strong troops whilst I struggle to cover thousands of miles of frontage with just a couple of corps/armies backed up by divisional sized garrison units.  Either I am missing the developers intention with the gameplay or this might end up being not my cup of tea after all.

If there are any particular areas where you think there might be an issue don't hesitate to let us know, along with the side you're playing, campaign and difficulty level so we can check things our side.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

acctingman

Quote from: bbmike on December 07, 2018, 05:41:18 PM
I look forward to playing this. I like to hotseat both sides and play it like a board game.  :bd:

This is very intriguing. How does one go about this?

Thanks

Geezer

Quote from: acctingman on December 14, 2018, 09:51:38 AM
I look forward to playing this. I like to hotseat both sides and play it like a board game.  :bd:

Thanks

Click on Hotseat to start a game.  Enter an Axis password and play the Axis turn.  End the turn and it will ask for an Allied password.  Play the Allied turn.  Rinse and repeat.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

acctingman

Quote from: Geezer on December 14, 2018, 10:08:13 AM
Quote from: acctingman on December 14, 2018, 09:51:38 AM

Thanks

:notworthy:
Click on Hotseat to start a game.  Enter an Axis password and play the Axis turn.  End the turn and it will ask for an Allied password.  Play the Allied turn.  Rinse and repeat.

Geezer

It's actually better than a boardgame because the computer will keep enemy units within the Fog of War areas hidden.  And if you're like me you'll forget where they are until you run into them.   :hide:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw