Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Sounds good. I may wait until may but I have no will power so who knows. Space combat games are like ammo...you can't have too much
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Hey jarhead...is there a full universe to explore yet or is it just a limited area for combat?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 12, 2014, 02:45:39 PM
Hey jarhead...is there a full universe to explore yet or is it just a limited area for combat?

No sandbox yet that I can see...just a hand full of single player scenarios.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Ok. Think I will hold off until the full beta end of May. Someone had to take the Pepsi challenge for all of us though, so thanks

bob48

When I think of all the hours I must have spent playing Elite, with wire-frame graphix, on the C64, and then the later version on the Amega.....It does look pretty stunning though. I shall have to keep my eye on this one.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

TacticalWargames

Elite on the BBC B was the first game I really got addicted to and fell in love with. My save game on my tape of well over a years worth of playing got chewed by the tape machine..my first ever game rage!

I've tried some of the Elite style games like OOLA but they haven't really grabbed me even though it's more or less an old Elite copy. Saying that if I was very rich I'd buy into the Elite beta.

Elite will always be my No1 game of all time.

RedArgo

I think I heard my kids talking about this game.  Does it have $250 ships you can buy and insurance you have to buy on the ships?  This sounds like you could spend a lot of money.  But maybe it was something different.

TacticalWargames

Thats Star Citizen. I hate the insurance mechanic..seems like a rip off to me. Elite is the one out of the two I'm interested in.

Quote from: RedArgo on April 12, 2014, 09:14:10 PM
I think I heard my kids talking about this game.  Does it have $250 ships you can buy and insurance you have to buy on the ships?  This sounds like you could spend a lot of money.  But maybe it was something different.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: RedArgo on April 12, 2014, 09:14:10 PM
I think I heard my kids talking about this game...
lol - well that's just rude!  ;)
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Quote from: bob48 on April 12, 2014, 03:29:38 PM
When I think of all the hours I must have spent playing Elite, with wire-frame graphix, on the C64, and then the later version on the Amega.....It does look pretty stunning though. I shall have to keep my eye on this one.
+1 me too 8)

...but i had to discover something disappointing with beloved nostalgia games 'warped' into 201x
The same warm feeling set in, but not the same pure excitement from the younger days.
it must be something psychological... its hard to explain with English words for me ...my theory: all the things a person has seen in-between (in all the games with similar themes, evolving over the decades ...and maybe in RL too) get somehow 'factored into' the equitation.
Maybe its like you can see the Grand Canyon (or Alps, or NYC , or .... ) first time only once ... its still breathtaking, and marvelous to sit at its rim and hike inside again on the additional visits in later years to that place ... but its different from the first visit.
Or its like reading a book, and a movie forms in your mind, and later on a movie get produced, and the movie can be real great, even stunning ... but its the imagination of the director came to life not 'your imagination while reading in the past' that is project on the movie screen.

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 11, 2014, 04:13:06 PM
It doesn't look too dissimilar to X-Rebirth. It's probably totally different and plays better - but it looks very similar in the videos I've seen.

From what I hear though, the physics of elite are much more "realistic" than the x games

Jarhead0331

I don't think there is enough content in the Alpha at this point to come close to justifying a $150 price tag, but that is not what the cost is about anyway. So if you are really on the fence, I say hold off and wait for the general beta, or just wait until release.

That being said, Flying through space in this world, and the way everything reacts to one another is truly an "experience," and I mean that in every sense of the word. Little details are spectacular.  Everything from the way your ship reacts when it bumps into an object in space, to the look of a laser impact on a shield, to the way fire fizzles out after a strike due to a lack of oxygen in the void.  It is all extremely well done. I've not flown in combat in space, but if I had, I think this is what it would feel like.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 13, 2014, 11:17:52 AM

That being said, Flying through space in this world, and the way everything reacts to one another is truly an "experience," and I mean that in every sense of the word. Little details are spectacular.  Everything from the way your ship reacts when it bumps into an object in space, to the look of a laser impact on a shield, to the way fire fizzles out after a strike due to a lack of oxygen in the void.  It is all extremely well done. I've not flown in combat in space, but if I had, I think this is what it would feel like.

That was my impression of the vids.  Looks very immersive.  Can't wait to see it once the sandbox is done.

Want.

mikeck

Dammit. Just bought it. I knew I would but I can't resist space games. Plus I watched this YouTube video of a guy using stealth to sneak up on people. He was cutting systems to reduce hear and dropping heat sinks. The enemy picked him up in intervals but because of his low signature, the independent gimbaled weapons couldn't track. He fired a few heat seekers and drilled him.

That's just cool
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7P6z1tR0fvc