Main Menu

Here to FRIDAY!

Started by Jarhead0331, July 06, 2018, 06:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalypse 31

Flying DCS

A10C, AVB8, Huey, and maybe some Russian junk (KA-50). Slowly getting a small group together to fly coop missions.

Continuing the grindfest to get to Tier 1 in Ghost Recon Wildlands

Gusington

Some Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine, some more Tomb Kings in TW Warhammer 2, and I would like to start playing Tyranny, Endless Legend and Warlock 2 (with the Renaissance mod).

Oh and Here to Stay is the best Korn song, ever.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on July 06, 2018, 12:44:42 PM

What happened to Seal Team Flix?!?

This weekend I'll be trying to read up on an obscure battle in the arcane time of some dude named Nappy.... what we won't do to prep for a game.

A:  Making my way through a THIRTY PAGE RULEBOOK FOR A FLICKING GAME takes time.

B:  In some smallish way, my life is now complete.

EDIT:  My beloved says: "Dice don't care."

That reminds me.... YOU NEED A NEW DIE ROLLER FOR THE NEW KS!. Not a new spouse, however.

bruce205

Love these forums and especially this thread!!  Serious attempt at finishing Planescape Torment as I only bought it from Best Buy (i think?) when it first came out.
I have the original 4 CD case and strategy guide but just purchased the enhanced version from Steam so no excuses !!  What do you guys think of game?
Happy Friday but its only my Tuesday :(
Bruce

Rayfer

Quote from: bruce205 on July 06, 2018, 04:29:02 PM
Love these forums and especially this thread!!  Serious attempt at finishing Planescape Torment as I only bought it from Best Buy (i think?) when it first came out.
I have the original 4 CD case and strategy guide but just purchased the enhanced version from Steam so no excuses !!  What do you guys think of game?
Happy Friday but its only my Tuesday :(
Bruce

Played it back in the day as well and also now own the enhanced edition on Steam.  Great game...not combat oriented like the related Baldur's Gate series...but there is lots and lots and lots of dialogue to read. It has an awesome story that's best enjoyed if you create your character with max wisdom.

MetalDog

Quote from: KyzBP on July 06, 2018, 08:39:43 AM
I'm still playing Battletech.  Using the adjustments that came with the new(er) patch make the game far more challenging.  I'm using my own settings and after 151 weeks in I still don't ready to take on the first campaign mission. 

I'm also rolling with my OOTP 19 online league.  It's a daily sim league and the most fun I've had in an online league of any type.

You, sir, have piqued my interest.

While I would have preferred to have today's slate of matches, I will watch RUS/CRO and be glued to SWE/ENG. 

I am in a bit of a game funk.  I am slogging through Sovereignty: Crown of Kings as Myrmont.  I've absorbed 6 countries, all good, and the world is pissed at me.  Now, the major evil power, the Iron Barony, has declared on me.  I've taken the first wave of assaults and have reinforcements ready to go.  Time to grab some territory and regroup.

Quote from: Barthheart on July 06, 2018, 01:34:56 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on July 06, 2018, 12:44:42 PM

What happened to Seal Team Flix?!?

This weekend I'll be trying to read up on an obscure battle in the arcane time of some dude named Nappy.... what we won't do to prep for a game.

A:  Making my way through a THIRTY PAGE RULEBOOK FOR A FLICKING GAME takes time.

B:  In some smallish way, my life is now complete.

EDIT:  My beloved says: "Dice don't care."

That reminds me.... YOU NEED A NEW DIE ROLLER FOR THE NEW KS!. Not a new spouse, however.

^This
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Planescape Torment is a fantastic game but maybe not for everyone. Like Rayfer said, not too combat oriented but still there's plenty and some of it damn tough. But it's the story that makes it great. It's like reading a great novel but getting to actually steer where the plot goes. One game I couldn't wait to finish and missed it when it was done.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Ian C

After the steam sales I'm overloaded with gaming options. Endless Space 2, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Life is Strange Before the Storm and The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (free game) are all on the agenda for this weekend and next week.

I'm particularly enjoying Endless Space 2 and I think it has surpassed Polaris Sector, Stars in Shadow and others as my go-to 4X game.

Destraex

Ian C, I am interested in how you compare Endless Space 2 to Stellaris. I own both but have not given Endless Space 2 a go yet. The combat in Endless Space 2 at least looks like it would be interesting compared to Stellaris which is very basic Strength Statistics 4 the win.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Ian C

Quote from: Destraex on July 07, 2018, 04:55:44 AM
Ian C, I am interested in how you compare Endless Space 2 to Stellaris. I own both but have not given Endless Space 2 a go yet. The combat in Endless Space 2 at least looks like it would be interesting compared to Stellaris which is very basic Strength Statistics 4 the win.

Well here's what I think of Stellaris.

I bought every DLC in the pre-update period when they had all forms of lightspeed travel. After the update I played it once or twice and don't think I'll be playing again. 
I think Stellaris has lost something unique. Those extra FTL techs really made it stand out and made it more challenging. Now it's like every other 4X that uses space lane travel.

There's also something all Paradox strategy titles suffer from and that's the UI. The way the UI presents information hasn't changed since Crusader Kings, EU and Hearts of Iron 1. Tiny boxes and scroll lists. Tiny cramped info screens.  When I click a button in Endless Space 2 I get big info window with fabulous graphics and illustrations. The immersion is far better than any 4x I've played.

As far as combat, Endless Space 2 lets you design your ships, compose your fleets, chose a leader, choose your tactics and sit back and watch the battle. For me, this is fine, as I'm playing an Emperor, not a Fleet Admiral. 

Overall, I find Endless Space 2 relaxing, interesting, deep and it suits my laid-back style of play and liking for immersive, thoughtful strategy.

Jarhead0331

I love the look and style of Endless Space, both 1 and 2. Its all very sleek and unique. However, the UI strikes me as overly complex, as are the game systems and mechanics. I find it has a much steeper learning curve then any other space 4x game I play...Stellaris, Distant Worlds, Polaris Sector, MOO3, etc.

I want to get into it deeply, and I know I will, but its a struggle no doubt.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I also find Endless Space 2 deep and complex but something about its UI and general presentation kept drawing me in, instead of pushing me away.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Finally finished importing the province cards for Republic of Rome (though I have yet to create them in TTS per se).

In the Grogpublic game, players will spend the first few turns 'creating' the Republic and its forms while putting down Tarquin the Tyrant, pacifying the surrounding towns, and consolidating control of the Italian peninsula. After that, players will be jockeying to have their senators assigned as governors for various provinces outside Italy, such as Africa here:

As you can see, provincial Africa only opens up after the players have defeated the 3rd Punic War. And if/when the Jugurthine War kicks off, Africa will be on the frontline. So the governors (senators can only govern for 3 turns at a time before someone else gets elected) will be partly responsible for raising provincial militia (bottom right) and provincial fleets (bottom left) to help defend the area. The black text also indicates this province won't be hit by barbarian raids. But the Senate can vote to send garrison legions, too; and whoever is Governor can try to skim some extra cash for himself off the top.

Each turn, there's a chance most provinces will flip over to be 'developed' by their Governor (unless the province is at war or some similar problems). Some senators are better than others at doing this, and one whole faction (the Expansionist Party) focuses on gaining political influence this way, so they'll be extra good at it.

When that happens the province flips over onto its green side, as in this example for a different area:

Note that Macedonia's name is in white underlined font, so it could be threatened by barbarian raids (during the time of the Republic, of course). But being Macedonia it has to deal with a bunch of wars (including internal revolts if the "4th Macedonian War", which creates the province, ends up being defeated before some of the others.)

There are 15 provinces in the game, plus Egypt which can show up if the players keep the Republic alive until the final era of Civil War. (Egypt shows up "developed" by Republican Era standards already, as you might expect.) Some show up thanks to winning wars, others show up according to scenario events (the cards that create the 'history' of the Republic.) If a player decides to try winning the game by himself and rebels to become Emperor, the senators he chooses to rebel might be Governors of provinces. Provinces can also be retaken by various wars, and if fighting goes badly in a province it can be shattered back to an undeveloped status.

As I get closer to creating the invitational thread for the game (probably in August), I'll drop more progress updates on weekends along the way.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jamus34

Fallout 4 so far.

Might start a new stellaris game but we'll see

Beyond that maybe some light builder like stardew valley or factorio
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

Republic of Rome looks interesting.

I finished playing Desktop Dungeon (PC version) and deleted it from my hard drive. 
I finished playing Eldritch Horror and put it back into its box.

I've played a little bit of Icewind Dale.

I'm considering either Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, unboxing my copy of Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition, unboxing Lords of Waterdeep, or playing an actual wargame - probably the Balkins Conflict in Strategic Command WW1.