Not a wargame in between the wargame sale onslaught: Planet Coaster by Frontier

Started by Yskonyn, November 25, 2016, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

A somewhat silent release, at least for me, but Frontier (studio behind Elite and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3) released their new themepark management game: Planet Coaster!

From playing 2 hours today its quite clear that the game has high production values! Graphics are crisp and detailed. Rides look gorgeous with all kinds of details, animations and lighting effects.
The people in particular, though, are quite cartoony in style. Much like RCT3 in the day.
Sounds are as detailed with nicely positioning sound while speeding around your park with the camera.
Every ride has several on-board camera's to choose from for added immersion and checking your newly built rollercoaster.
The music is relaxing and catchy at the same time, much like that of The Sims.

Themepark editing tools are vast and you have full control over landscaping on the map. The game also features Steam Workshop functionality and has over 30.000 addons available by the community! O_O

All in all this seems to bring back themepark gameplay into modern times with a bang and will likely make us forget Themepark World quickly enough, and good riddance at that!
Here's to lots of hours building fun.

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Capn Darwin

What's your take on the DRM on the game? I like what I see on the game from some stream on Twitch, but 3rd party DRM makes me a little uneasy.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

-budd-

damn 3rd party, i'll probably pass. Frontier account? one time? online always? whats the scoop.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Capn Darwin

Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Denuvo Antitamper - It's a go online once to key gen. Any update to software or your computer requires a new key gen to work. Claims to work offline after initial initiation, but fuzzy on family share and any impact to other games or OS.

Kushan

Quote from: Capn Darwin on November 25, 2016, 05:15:39 PM
Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Denuvo Antitamper - It's a go online once to key gen. Any update to software or your computer requires a new key gen to work. Claims to work offline after initial initiation, but fuzzy on family share and any impact to other games or OS.

No clue what your talking about. I bought the game on Steam. Tied right into my steam account like almost every major game release these days. Its 2016 your always online stop bitching about it requiring a constant connection. Other then thatm I've never needed a key or have the game even ask for one. Windows updated the other day game still works.

Gameplay wise, I'm on the fence. Its got all the management tools and building options you can think of but its just not grabbing me. Gone back and forth on returning it several times.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Capn Darwin

Sorry, should have been more clear that the key-gen is automatic with the Denuvo servers when first played or when the game gets an update. I'm not concerned about offline myself, but these 3rd party systems have historically had issues. I'm curious to those factors. Has it worked well? Does it interfere with other running programs? Is there any CPU hit? Things like that.

Grim.Reaper

I am confused...I have been with the game since early access and don't recall any special DRM....

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Yskonyn

I had no idea about 3rd party anti piracy scheme in this game. Do they use the same for Elite? If so I am not bothered; that has been running without problems for several years now including hardware changes and OS migrations.

Why do they need such a scheme anyway if they are on Steam?

Anyway, user Silvarret has awesome video's up showing whats possible in game with a creative mind:
https://youtu.be/NeSrfUuPn_g

^one such example.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."